Connecting Powerbook G4 15" to TV

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all,

I'm new to the Apple world and was given a Powerbook G4 15" by a friend. I would like to hook this up to my TV.

I have tried to do some research on this but just seem to confuse myself more. I now have terms like VGA, DVI and s-shaped cord swimming in my head.

This is what my ports looks look like: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2369?viewlocale=en_US

I have the PowerBook G4 (15-inch FW 800), (15-inch 1.5/1.33GHz) which is shown about half way down the page.

Any help or links to the products I need to do this would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    You can get a cord that plugs into the DVI port on the Mac and will output HDMI to the TV.

You can get a cord that plugs into the DVI port on the Mac and will output Composite video to the TV.

You'll need a separate cord for audio (from the computer's headphone port to the TV's audio input.)
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Choc821 View Post

Hi all,

I'm new to the Apple world and was given a Powerbook G4 15" by a friend. I would like to hook this up to my TV.

I have tried to do some research on this but just seem to confuse myself more. I now have terms like VGA, DVI and s-shaped cord swimming in my head.

This is what my ports looks look like: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2369?viewlocale=en_US

I have the PowerBook G4 (15-inch FW 800), (15-inch 1.5/1.33GHz) which is shown about half way down the page.

Any help or links to the products I need to do this would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

It's all fine and well you tell us what ports your Mac has, but it's equally as important to tell us what inputs your TV has...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

It's all fine and well you tell us what ports your Mac has, but it's equally as important to tell us what inputs your TV has...

Thank you for your response, my PowerBook has a S-video port and a DVI port. You can see what these looks like if you use the link in my original thread. I have the G4 15" version so the ports look slightly unusual to me.

As for my TV, it is has a "PC In" (Male) Port which looks like the port for attaching a computer display. It also has "HDMI In" (Male) and DVI ports.

I think I have the audio sorted out so it is just the visual components that I am having trouble with.

Many thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

You can get a cord that plugs into the DVI port on the Mac and will output HDMI to the TV.

You can get a cord that plugs into the DVI port on the Mac and will output Composite video to the TV.

You'll need a separate cord for audio (from the computer's headphone port to the TV's audio input.)

Thanks, I seem to be having trouble finding the correct cords. I have had a look online for cords, but the ones I find seem to only have one plug that will attach correctly to my laptop or TV but the other end doesn't correspond so I can't seem to find the exact one I need.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Choc821 View Post

Thank you for your response, my PowerBook has a S-video port and a DVI port. You can see what these looks like if you use the link in my original thread. I have the G4 15" version so the ports look slightly unusual to me.

As for my TV, it is has a "PC In" (Male) Port which looks like the port for attaching a computer display. It also has "HDMI In" (Male) and DVI ports.

I think I have the audio sorted out so it is just the visual components that I am having trouble with.

Many thanks.

So it couldn't be simpler. Just directly connect the DVI port of your Mac to the DVI port of your TV with a DVI to DVI cable. Both ends of the cable should look identical.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

So it couldn't be simpler. Just directly connect the DVI port of your Mac to the DVI port of your TV with a DVI to DVI cable. Both ends of the cable should look identical.

Really? That's so simple. Will give that a shot - I think my DVI port is a bit different to the TV DVI port but I think I can work it out.

Many thanks, and Merry Christmas
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I managed to get the visual components sorted and have hooked it up. However, the audio doesn't seem to be working. The sales assistant at the electrical store said it should be as easy as using a stereo 3.5mm jack lead from my headphone port to the TV (using its PC/DVI Audio In Port) which I have done however I am not getting any sound.

Any suggestions on what the problem could be? Do I need to change any settings on my Powerbook?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    DVI doesn't transmit audio ... so you WILL need two cords.

Assuming you have the audio cord connected to the proper input/output sockets, it's likely a setting on your TV that needs to be adjusted.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Yes - the proper input socket is the key to getting it working. Have a quick RTFM for the tv.

Manufacturers do provide connectivity but it's not the same on all tv's.

On my Panny 37" it's on the av2 inputs.

Others I've setup have been on one of the various inputs - why the manufacturers chop and change, who knows ?

It's model specific.

Check your manual.

cheers