Mail doesn't allow the trash to be emptied

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
There's an annoying thing which occurs systematically with Mail (OS X Snow Leopard) :

I write a message to a friend, and put some file as an attachment. I send the message. The original file is located on the Desktop, and put it into the trash. Then, I can't empty the trash can !

This is systematic and I have to quit Mail just to empty the trash.

Is there a simple solution to this problem, without having to quit Mail ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Can you be more specific about what you mean by "can't empty the trashcan"? Does the Finder warn you that files haven't been deleted, or do you still see them in the trash after emptying?

Also, does this happen with multiple e-mail accounts? Or, by any chance, just with Gmail?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    It's happening with simple emails. I try to empty the trashcan, but the Finder tells me the trashcan can't be emptied because there's a file in use in it. Well, the culprit file is there, but isn't (or shouldn't be) in use anymore, since the email is already sent.

I don't understand what is happening here.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Not sure what you mean by a "simple e-mail," but what about my other questions?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Not sure what you mean by a "simple e-mail," but what about my other questions?

What is Gmail ? I only have one account in my Mail.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kali View Post

What is Gmail ? I only have one account in my Mail.

Google Mail. I presume from your answer that you don't have a gmail.com address. I was going to suggest trying a different e-mail account in order to test whether it's got something to do with the mail server.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    No, I'm just using the standard Mail of OS X. Single account.

Like I've said, quiting Mail solves the problem. But it's a pain in the a** to do this each time I'm sending an email with some attachement and that I want to trash the original file that I've sent.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    The point is, you should not have to quit Mail to empty the trash. I was hoping you had more than one mail account for trouble-shooting. Have a look at "Mailbox Behaviors" in Mail preferences. How are they set?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Well, it's a bit hard to explain (my native language is French). I don't see anything related to attachements, in the Mail preferences.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Look at the settings for when sent messages are deleted.