Can other AC chargers be used w/iPad?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My mother in law left her iPad charger here, and she's now with her other son in law .

Can she use an iPhone charger to charge her iPad till I can get her charger to her?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    No. The iPad's charger is 10 watts. You need to use its specific charger or plug it into a computer.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No. The iPad's charger is 10 watts. You need to use its specific charger or plug it into a computer.

I've been using my iPhone 4 charger on the iPad for some time. Works fine.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    The iPad will charge from anything that provides power over a USB connection per the specs. However, the iPad likes to negotiate an out-of-spec power draw, which it can from certain Macs, or the charger it comes with. With those devices it can both charge and be run at the same time.

With normal USB power it can either charge, or run, but not both. So if you run it you will see a notification that it is not charging. When you deactivate the iPad it actually will charge (but you can't see the notification that it is doing so).
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Simply not true.

To the OP: ... charge away, your MIL will be just fine with an iPhone charger, it'll just take longer.