Apple targeting iPad at corporate buyers with Verizon

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple is working with carrier business teams at Verizon Wireless to "drive adoption of iPad in enterprise accounts," following an initial push aimed at consumers.

While the majority of the company's iPad marketing is focused on consumer uses, Apple is now actively selling its new tablet to business customers. In October, it was reported that the company was working with Unisys Corp to help it reach corporate and government audiences.

Apple is now working to reach business users with its iPad by partnering with mobile carriers including Verizon, which began selling the iPad along with its MiFi personal hotspot 3G service in October.

A job posting shows Apple is recruiting for a "Verizon iPad system engineer" position to work with its existing iPad sales team and carrier business teams to sell iPads in corporate environments.

"The successful candidate will have enterprise sales experience and must have an existing knowledge of the mobile market and the technologies that support it," the posting notes, specifically mentioning "enterprise messaging and collaboration, VPN, WiFi and enterprise security technologies" as requirements along with "experience with Microsoft Exchange Active Sync and Exchange Server."

Applicants "must have the ability to effectively work with all levels in an organization including corporate CIOs and IT departments" the job posting states. "Through interactions with the carrier sales teams and business customers, the iPad System Engineer will play a critical role in helping key corporate accounts develop confidence in the Apple solution."

Steve Jobs eying iPad future

Two and a half months ago, Apple's chief executive Steve Jobs told analysis in the company's Q4 conference call that "we haven't pushed it (the iPad) real hard in business, and it's being grabbed out of our hands."

Jobs added, "we've got a tiger by the tail here, and this is a new model of computing which we've already got tens of millions of people trained on with the iPhone, and that lends itself to lots of different aspects of life, both personal and business."

Despite a variety of new tablet products being introduced by licensees of Android and Microsoft's Windows 7, as well as new products being promised by BlackBerry maker RIM (the PlayBook, shown below) and Palm's new owner HP, Jobs said he wasn't worried about competitors. "We're not done. We're working on a lot of things for the future," adding, "we're out to win this one."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    While RIM's Playbook is only 45% as large as an Ipad, it fits nicely in a coat pocket.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    I hope Apple comes out with a revolutionary cloud solution for corporations and individuals respectively. The key to winning the world over to tablet computing lies in a cloud solution that is truly revolutionary on the internet, intranet and extranet environments. The current cloud applications, the storage and the security so far have been rather ordinary and similar to older methods of computing.

Something truly ground breaking is needed and I am curious to see what Apple does with the new North Carolina data center.

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/t...ta-center-faq/

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/t...er-faq-part-2/

Time will tell.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sciwiz View Post

While RIM's Playbook is only 45% as large as an Ipad, it fits nicely in a coat pocket.

I have an iPhone in my coat pocket. My iPad has replaced my laptop for all other mobile computing needs. It doesnt need to fit into any of my pockets. Hell, I don't even need it to fit in a laptop bag (which has gone unused since I bought the iPad. I just toss it in my small backpack - if I'm taking my backpack - or just carry it on it's own.

Also, besides Goths and neckbeards, who owns coats with pockets big enough to carry a 7" mobile device?
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Did he really call PlayBook a tweener?
  • Reply 5 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

What RIM et al forget is that Apple didn't come out with the size they did by accident.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sticknick View Post

I have an iPhone in my coat pocket. My iPad has replaced my laptop for all other mobile computing needs. It doesnt need to fit into any of my pockets. Hell, I don't even need it to fit in a laptop bag (which has gone unused since I bought the iPad. I just toss it in my small backpack - if I'm taking my backpack - or just carry it on it's own.

Also, besides Goths and neckbeards, who owns coats with pockets big enough to carry a 7" mobile device?

Corporate buyers don't carry backpacks. Hey Dude, is that a Playbook in your pocket or ...?
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Quote:

If it can fit in a PJ pocket, it will fit in a coat pocket. (Samsung Tab and RIM Playbook are both 7" screens)

Image from CrunchGear: Link
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

I hope Apple comes out with a revolutionary cloud solution for corporations and individuals respectively.

I think the cloud is a good concept, but now that some ISPs are putting caps in place, it may limit a decent size of the market. How could I possibly backup over a terabyte of data if Comcast is limiting me to 250 gigs usage?
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:

If it can fit in a PJ pocket, it will fit in a coat pocket. (Samsung Tab and RIM Playbook are both 7" screens)

Your first pocket comment seemed to be serious but now you seem to be joking ... can't quite tell where you are on this.

What's obvious is that corporate types don't stuff their precious gizmos in their pockets, they carry the appropriate case for the item and protect them accordingly. That is if you are using the thing for presentations, meetings, and the like.

If RIMM thinks that the ability to jam a Playbook in a coat pocket is going to gain them corporate customers, they are out to lunch.

Micro business is another matter, heck, they might even use backbacks!
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I think the cloud is a good concept, but now that some ISPs are putting caps in place, it may limit a decent size of the market. How could I possibly backup over a terabyte of data if Comcast is limiting me to 250 gigs usage?

Yes indeed but why do you need to backup a TB?

A revolutionary cloud solution will provide the best solutions around network limitations.

Data compression?

Optimal usage of internet/intranet transfers?

Transfer time/cost optimizations?

BigDog deals with top tier ISPs?

Time will tell.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:

Most winter coats have an interior pocket that's large enough for a 7inch tablet. Sure, maybe high end designer coats don't, but the coats that business people (what blackberry is targeting) get do. And even if they don't, you can fit a 7" tablet (sans case) in most pants pockets.

Anyone who doesn't wear jeans can fit a 7inch tablet in their pocket. Dress pant pockets are rather large, after all, and most professions that require them prefer that your pants arn't painted on. It's also practically the perfect size for a lot of Scrub pockets.

I'm not going to argue ecosystem, but when you're talking size, there is a deff market for a 7 inch tablet device.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:

So does a ham sandwich... your point?
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

Did he really call PlayBook a tweener?

Yeah, "tweener" is clearly wrong -- wedgie is much better

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...76#post1749776
  • Reply 14 of 33
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I'll take this. It is much more convenient when you are not using it.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Quote:

That ham sandwich better be magical!
  • Reply 16 of 33
    I can't help but think that the iPad is the cause of all the CDMA etc rumors, not the iPhone. A single series of iPads that could be used anywhere on any carrier would be huge. Especially if they could bring the price closer to the current wifi only
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I can't help but think that the iPad is the cause of all the CDMA etc rumors, not the iPhone. A single series of iPads that could be used anywhere on any carrier would be huge. Especially if they could bring the price closer to the current wifi only

You may be on to something! The iPad certainly has enough space and battery to support multiple cell radios.

The other thing of interest is that these devices can be sold without a contract -- opt-in monthly charge as needed, with several levels of service. I hope that what ATT offers now will be offered by other carriers.

This could be the beggining of a new relationship among mfgrs, carriers and users -- to the benefit of all.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That ham sandwich better be magical!

Actually, no... The ham sandwich can deliver the expected results by being average.

I do not believe the same is true of an undersized tablet.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:

Actually, no... The ham sandwich can deliver the expected results by being average.

I do not believe the same is true of an undersized tablet.

When millions of Iphone users can get by using it with with their "sanded down fingers", I'm sure users of undersized tablets won't feel the pain.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:

When millions of Iphone users can get by using it with with their "sanded down fingers", I'm sure users of undersized tablets won't feel the pain.

I don't believe you can compare the utility of an iPhone with that of an iPad -- any more than comparing an iPad to a 27" desktop.

The problem with the 7" form factor is that it doesn't offer enough advantage over an iPhone, yet it sacrifices portability and the ability to be used a a phone.