Apple confirms 1M Apple TV sales; Logitech denies Google asked it to halt Google TV shipments

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
After announcing that sales of the Apple TV would top 1 million units last week, Apple has confirmed that it met the goal before Christmas, while Logitech has publicly denied a rumor that Google had requested a halt to its Google TV shipments in anticipation of a software update.

Apple TV sales

Apple confirmed the milestone to John Paczkowski of All Things Digital on Monday. The Cupertino, Calif., company had revealed last Tuesday that it expected sales of the $99 cloud-centric Apple TV to exceed 1 million in advance of Christmas and within three months of the product's launch.

Analysts viewed the news as positive, but noted that the additional revenue from the device was "fairly immaterial." 1 million units per quarter would amount to $400 million in annual revenue, said analyst Shaw Wu of Kaufman Bros. On the upside, Wu believes the Apple TV is set up to become "a more material contributor and game changer in the TV space," especially if Apple introduces an App Store that allows users to download applications for the Apple TV.

The Apple TV's previous milestone was 250,000 units in October after six weeks of availability. During the company's October earnings call, Apple chief executive Steve Jobs commented that Apple was "thrilled" with sales of the device.

Google TV

A DigiTimes report last week alleged that Logitech had halted shipments of its Revue Google TV set top box while Google readied an update to the software. On Monday, Barron's reported that it had received a vaguely worded email from a Logitech VP denying that Google had asked Logitech to halt production of the Revue.

"Logitech has not been asked by Google to suspend production of its Google TV products. As those familiar with the product know, it is not necessary for Logitech to make changes to the Logitech Revue with Google TV companion box to accommodate future enhancements to Google TV. Every Logitech Revue companion box will receive free over-the-air updates whenever Google and Logitech release software enhancements," wrote Nancy Morrison, Logitech's VP of corporate communications.

"Logitech is currently meeting the inventory needs of its retail customers, continuing to ship products on schedule to meet their holiday and post-holiday demand."

"Logitech does not discuss the specific production plans for any of its products. As high-volume manufacturer of electronic products, Logitech?s use of its own factories as well as those of its manufacturing partners, provides the company with flexibility in how and when it produces products to accommodate customer demand."

Though a subtle distinction, Morrison did not actually deny that Logitech had halted production of the Google TV device, simply that Google had not requested it. Morrison asserted that Logitech is meeting the needs of its retail customers, but it is unclear what exactly those "needs" are.

Technology journalist Wall Mossberg recently named Google TV as his second-worst reviewed product of 2010, behind only the Dell Streak. In his original review of the platform, Mossberg called Google TV "too complicated."

Manufacturers named in a report by The New York Times last week have yet to deny the claim that Google asked it to delay introducing new Google TV-enabled televisions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    I would suppose Apple would sell a million of anything it offered based on the fanaticism of some of its devotees. The magic mouse probably also sold 1 million units in the same amount of time. Hardly newsworthy.

Now if it sold 1 million units of Apple TVs to non-Apple owners- that would be news.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

I would suppose Apple would sell a million of anything it offered based on the fanaticism of some of its devotees. The magic mouse probably also sold 1 million units in the same amount of time. Hardly newsworthy.

Now if it sold 1 million units of Apple TVs to non-Apple owners- that would be news.

What a ridiculous thing to say. A million apple tv units in a quarter is always a very impressive number. Apple "fans" are not zombies mandated by Cupertino, you know, and it certainly is selling a lot better than the last incarnation of the device.

Grow up and say something worthwile, can you?
  • Reply 3 of 24
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

What a ridiculous thing to say. A million apple tv units in a quarter is always a very impressive number. Apple "fans" are not zombies mandated by Cupertino, you know, and it certainly is selling a lot better than the last incarnation of the device.

There's really no point feeding this troll. By simply looking at his prior postings, it's pretty evident that he has an alternate agenda. His style is reminiscent of another banned troll.

That being said, It's really a good sign for ATV considering how difficult the TV area is. I'm sure Apple has something up its sleeve to really hit the ball out of the park on this. Unlike Google, Apple does have more of a relationship with the entertainment industry and networks. For what it's worth, the media executives know more about Apple's motives than they do Google.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    whatever the ATV is, a hobby of SJ, or just a product to have out there.... i can't wait to see how it does when they actually focus on it

on that note, i bet most of the sales are because no one wanted to pay the $300 i think i have heard for an old ATV.

can't wait to see it when "its a real product"
  • Reply 5 of 24
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    The article mentions that Logitech never denied that they have halted shipments of the Revue. And the Logitech manager also carefully avoided mentioning the specific number of units shipped. Seems like Logitech is taking a page from RIM's playbook (pun intended!). RIM has stopped mentioning the number of new BlackBerry subscribers each quarter.

I can't wait until CES, just to see if HDTV manufacturers will actually show off any TV sets with embedded Google TV. There is a rumor that Google has told them to not show their prototypes. Too bad for them, great for Apple. If true, I suspect the reason is that once again, Google has rushed out a product in beta form. Unpolished clunky interface, not enough deals with content providers, and the real killer: a catastrophic mash-up of internet complexity and TV simplicity.

Apple benefits hugely from CES despite not having a booth there. Each and every smart phone, pad computer, media player, laptop, netbook, and now internet TV set-top box will be compared to an Apple product. Free publicity for Apple all day, every day, live from CES.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    rptrpt Posts: 175member
    Quote:

I just to a look at his record. This guy (or whatever!) is not a troll. Based on what I can see, he is something as unusual as a truly evil person. I don't want to go into details about what he has stated, but it is all there to be read.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Apple benefits hugely from CES despite not having a booth there. Each and every smart phone, pad computer, media player, laptop, netbook, and now internet TV set-top box will be compared to an Apple product. Free publicity for Apple all day, every day, live from CES.

I was thinking that this year they would have a booth.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Dell Streak, The Kin phone, Jersey Shore...now those are way worse than the Google TV. A friend of mine owns one and I have to say it's pretty cool. Way more features, for now, than the Apple TV (Pandora Radio for example) and remember this is the first generation of the Google TV. I think Google will make Apple step up it's Apple TV to include more in the likes of Amazon.com video content along with iTunes and hopefully, make it an actual web browser for your TV. Yes I own a Apple TV and it's cool, but again I hope Apple update that sucker to put a nice dent in the Google TV. Apps would be cool like we have all heard about and a web browser would be real nice! Getting your online content on your TV I believe is the future.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr.Scott View Post

Dell Streak, The Kin phone, Jersey Shore...now those are way worse than the Google TV. A friend of mine owns one and I have to say it's pretty cool. Way more features, for now, than the Apple TV (Pandora Radio for example) and remember this is the first generation of the Google TV. I think Google will make Apple step up it's Apple TV to include more in the likes of Amazon.com video content along with iTunes and hopefully, make it an actual web browser for your TV. Yes I own a Apple TV and it's cool, but again I hope Apple update that sucker to put a nice dent in the Google TV. Apps would be cool like we have all heard about and a web browser would be real nice! Getting your online content on your TV I believe is the future.

Browser on ATF is useless unless you live alone, how do you manage to have the whole family read the same web page? And it must be fun to browse with a remote?
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigwoodenhead View Post

Browser on ATF is useless unless you live alone, how do you manage to have the whole family read the same web page? And it must be fun to browse with a remote?

Wireless keyboard and buy 2 more Apple TV's for the price of one Google TV. Think outside the box.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though a subtle distinction, Morrison did not actually deny that Logitech had halted production of the Google TV device, simply that Google had not requested it.

Why would they need to deny it? The rumors were never about Logitech halting production, just that Google wanted Logitech to halt production. But with Logitech denying that Google had asked them to halt production there really is nothing else to deny now is there?

Quote:

Morrison asserted that Logitech is meeting the needs of its retail customers, but it is unclear what exactly those "needs" are.

Hmm lets see:

"Logitech is currently meeting the inventory needs of its retail customers, continuing to ship products on schedule to meet their holiday and post-holiday demand."

I don't know I think that kind of tells you right there what the needs are, in case you can't figure it out AI it means supply and making sure that supply arrives on time as scheduled.

Quote:

The article mentions that Logitech never denied that they have halted shipments of the Revue. And the Logitech manager also carefully avoided mentioning the specific number of units shipped. Seems like Logitech is taking a page from RIM's playbook (pun intended!). RIM has stopped mentioning the number of new BlackBerry subscribers each quarter.

Maybe the reason why numbers of units shipped or sales numbers were not released is because they were never asked for in the first place.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr.Scott View Post

Wireless keyboard and buy 2 more Apple TV's for the price of one Google TV. Think outside the box.

If u have an imac you already have a wireless keyboard. I bought a bigger wired on for my mac and i am keeping the wireless one in case its becomes usefull for the atv or else i will used it if i buy a mac mini.

Waiting on next genereration macs without the constraint of the nvidia / intel lawsuit. Next generation macboook air and mac mini will have much faster cpu and graphics.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Blar Blar Blar

Fool
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:

No I am really sorry but he absolutely can't. It's in probably his genes.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

Google TV

A DigiTimes report last week alleged that Logitech had halted shipments of its Revue Google TV set top box ...".

"Logitech has not been asked by Google to suspend production of its Google TV products..".

Though a subtle distinction, Morrison did not actually deny that Logitech had halted production of the Google TV device, ..."

Simple. None of these statements are contradictory for those who understand that there is absolutely no demand for the device, and that Logitech is only halting production to eliminate huge stocks that remain in the sales channel.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Hasn't roku also sold 1million of its media streamers and given the average person has never heard of roku that makes apples achievement not particularly special.

Also didn't Microsoft sell something like a million kinnects in a month? No idea if that translates to a million xboxs but it also does all the stuff atv does as well.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Hasn't roku also sold 1million of its media streamers and given the average person has never heard of roku that makes apples achievement not particularly special.

1) I seem to recall their CEO saying they’d hit 1M “boxes” by the end of the year, in the way that Apple stated they would likely sell 1M of the new AppleTV’s by Christmas. So far, i haven’t read any statements from Roku that confirm the milestone being reached.

2) Note that 1M AppleTV’s refer only to the new model not the old model*—*which I assume sold a lot more than 1M in its 2.5 years on the market — which only goes from October 1st up to December 24th. Roku, on the other hand, has been selling a box since 2007. It started out as an internet audio player but I don’t recall reading that they were only including video-capable devices in that measure. Even if they are, they started selling those in first half of 2008.

3) They also sell a much cheaper device than the AppleTV so by that alone you expect more sales, the way the new AppleTV would incur more sales, even without any feature change simply by lowering the price point.

4) The new AppleTV has increased Roku’s sales by twofold, if I remember correctly, so I think it’s a milestone for both, but I don’t think you can compare 3 months to 31 months and say this isn’t a big deal for Apple, especially when you consider the original AppleTV. I think $100,000,000 in revenue for a quarter is enough to warrant Apple making more deals with content providers and offering an SDK and App Store, and focusing on integrating this device into the rest of their product line more directly now that it’s a financial success, even if it pales to the iPhone.

Quote:

Also didn't Microsoft sell something like a million kinnects in a month? No idea if that translates to a million xboxs but it also does all the stuff atv does as well.

According to Wikipedia. "2.5 million units of the Kinect sensor have been sold as of November 29, 2010, 1 million of which were sold within 10 days of its North American launch. According to NPD, within one month of availability Kinect became the "top-selling accessory item in terms of dollar sales on a year-to-date basis."[98] Microsoft expects sales to reach 5 million by the end of 2010.”

MS did a great job with the Kinect and I’m glad to see they can turn a profit on a HW ite, but it’s also a device that extends the life of aging console. IOW, it’s an inexpensive way to something old new again. This was expected.

I know they had sold 10M XBOX 360s in 2008. Not sure how many they have sold in total or how many are still in use but selling 5M units ($745,000,000 in revenue) would is a huge percentage for an after market console accessory. Kudos to MS for even selling half that many ($372,500,000 in revenue).

What isn’t expected is MS selling more Kinects than iPads, but I think that was just some PR hyperbole to get free press by comparing to the hottest device on the market.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VanFruniken View Post

Simple. None of these statements are contradictory for those who understand that there is absolutely no demand for the device, and that Logitech is only halting production to eliminate huge stocks that remain in the sales channel.

There is no evidence whatsoever that they have halted production. We have no idea what the demand is but there is no evidence that production has been halted whatsoever. All your/AI is doing is putting words in Logitech's mouth.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

I can't wait until CES, just to see if HDTV manufacturers will actually show off any TV sets with embedded Google TV. There is a rumor that Google has told them to not show their prototypes. Too bad for them, great for Apple. If true, I suspect the reason is that once again, Google has rushed out a product in beta form. Unpolished clunky interface, not enough deals with content providers, and the real killer: a catastrophic mash-up of internet complexity and TV simplicity.

not that GTV is beta, google tried the same thing as they did with Google News and Books. grab someone else's content and try to make the money off it. with news they at least send you to the site. with GTV and years of experience the content owners knew better.

the internet copies are just to keep people from using BT and other p2p. they aren't meant to replace advertising revenues
  • Reply 20 of 24
    I've been thinking about replacing the PlayStation 3/MacBook Pro combo in my TV setup with a PlayStation 3/the new Apple TV combo...Especially since Amazon have the new Apple TV for £90 at the moment, down on the £99 retail...Only thing preventing me from pulling the trigger is the dearth of content in the UK. It would really only be Movie Rentals and my iTunes Library on the box, plus YouTube. I do have access to TV services, including over-the-air and PVR on the PS3, but I'd still really like the Apple TV to have things like the TV Rentals available in he States...But more than that...

I'd definitely pull the trigger if there was an App Store allowing third-party services to put their content on the Apple TV. Places like blip.tv, Channel 5 and so on. So what I'm hoping is that the healthy installed base Apple has got here encourages them to go ahead and open up an Apple TV App Store.