Will iLife and iWork DVDs be Discontinued?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
So with Mac App Store coming January 9th, is it safe to say that we have seen the last physical DVD release of both iLife and iWork?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Do you want to download 16 gigabytes to have iLife '12 and iWork '12?

Didn't think so. We're close, but not yet. Heck, might be the last disks and they'll move to USB drives or SD cards, but it won't be the last physical release.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Do you want to download 16 gigabytes to have iLife '12 and iWork '12?

Didn't think so. We're close, but not yet. Heck, might be the last disks and they'll move to USB drives or SD cards, but it won't be the last physical release.

Which is why they will no longer sell "iLife" and "iWork" as such. They will sell the individual apps on the app store under an i**** heading.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Which is why they will no longer sell "iLife" and "iWork" as such. They will sell the individual apps on the app store under an i**** heading.

They also don't have to bundle all the localisations nor the templates. Those can be downloaded when needed. They just load the template previews and to use one, it just downloads the 2-3MB file you choose.

I think they have to start doing away with optical distribution. The Mac USB key and MBA are good indicators for the transition and how close it is.