Apple to report fiscal first-quarter 2011 results Jan. 18

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You aren't going to, but what point you think you are making is beyond me.

My point?

Well.. mostly that given your analytical skills- there's not much chance you are making a lot of money. who cherry picks a period of time to provide an example of a stock performing poorly, when in fact it has done quite well?

Seeing as a company reports their performance every qtr- you might want to follow suit. 10 week period? lol. my apple stock has kicked ass for the last three years... where would I be if I panicked every ten weeks?

What analysis you think you're making is beyond me... touche!
  • Reply 42 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

My point?

Well.. mostly that given your analytical skills- there's not much chance you are making a lot of money. who cherry picks a period of time to provide an example of a stock performing poorly, when in fact it has done quite well?

Seeing as a company reports their performance every qtr- you might want to follow suit. 10 week period? lol. my apple stock has kicked ass for the last three years... where would I be if I panicked every ten weeks?

What analysis you think you're making is beyond me... touche!

Well, your point is wrong. I bought AAPL in 1997 and have held through a lot more than you've been through. I'm doing just fine, thanks. Hope to do even better.

It's not a matter of "cherry picking," it's a matter of examining trends -- which is what all intelligent, informed investors try to do. There is no "panic" involved, obviously, and last I checked it wasn't illegal, immoral or fattening to pose questions. You apparently have no answers to the questions, or don't understand why anyone would ask them -- which it seems is why you object so strenuously to anyone raising them. It's your privilege to remain a blissfully uninformed investor, just don't ask anyone else to join you.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    Quote:

Well, your point is wrong. I bought AAPL in 1997 and have held through a lot more than you've been through. I'm doing just fine, thanks. Hope to do even better.

It's not a matter of "cherry picking," it's a matter of examining trends -- which is what all intelligent, informed investors try to do. There is no "panic" involved, obviously, and last I checked it wasn't illegal, immoral or fattening to pose questions. You apparently have no answers to the questions, or don't understand why anyone would ask them -- which it seems is why you object so strenuously to anyone raising them. It's your privilege to remain a blissfully uninformed investor, just don't ask anyone else to join you.

I was on the trading floor in 97. Was an awesome time. So, I'm not sure you've had anywhere near the investing experience I've had. Nonetheless, Good luck with your "trends".
  • Reply 44 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

There is a difference between flat and "substantially underperfroming".

Island Hermit, Sometimes you have to just ignore some the noise makers - Who will have an opinion, just because they can! Not thinking if they are right or wrong. For example, Dr. Millmoss here! Ignore and move on. YTD AAPL is doing a lot better than any of the index. I own AAPL and I will continue to hold - As I do see this stock hitting $1000 in about 2-3 years and for me that is 10x return.

BTW, Dr. Millmoss has been on this forum since April 2009, which is around 600 days and he already has 4000+ posts, which is average of 6+ post per day! Basically, that tells me that he probably has an opinion for every story on Appleinsider.com and has to say something.
  • Reply 45 of 57
    Quote:

There's no cause for either nastiness or disagreement. Since October 18 (ten weeks ago), the NASDAQ is up around 7.5% and AAPL is up less than 2%. It has even been outperformed by the DJI (up 4%), which would normally be a pretty unfavorable comparison.

Your are not the only one who knows how to cherry-pick statistical data.

Why ten weeks? Why not twelve weeks?

Why not eight weeks?

• Reply 46 of 57
    This is the only meaningful statistic you need to know:

AAPL has been and will continue to be the best investment in the tech sector for the foreseeable future.
  • Reply 47 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Your are not the only one who knows how to cherry-pick statistical data.

Why ten weeks? Why not twelve weeks?

Why not 66 days? Why not nine months? Why not 2.5 years? The reason is, I'm not picking a time periods arbitrarily. I'm counting backwards from today to find the number of weeks of underperformance.

What I said stands. For the last 10-11 weeks, AAPL has lagged the markets substantially. First I was told that I must be wrong about the numbers. When it turned out I couldn't be proven wrong objectively, the attack changed. Apparently now I am wrong to have noticed.

A chartest investor might call this a topping pattern, which is a bearish call (you can find ample discussion on the net about this if still don't believe me). I don't trade on charts, but a lot of investors, including the large institutions, make their trading decisions based on chart patterns. So they are important, whether you or I like it or not. Reality -- it's not always convenient.

I don't claim to know what this pattern means, and since I don't know what it means, I don't expect it to change my outlook on the stock. But it might be nice if someone who's on the warpath for my simply having noticed this trend to have something useful to say about it, instead of being in attack mode, or in denial.
  • Reply 48 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

I was on the trading floor in 97. Was an awesome time. So, I'm not sure you've had anywhere near the investing experience I've had. Nonetheless, Good luck with your "trends".

Yet another person who can't admit an error. Good luck to you, too.
  • Reply 49 of 57
    Quote:

Yet another person who can't admit an error. Good luck to you, too.

As a doctor, you should know better than to give advice beyond your training.
  • Reply 50 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

As a doctor, you should know better than to give advice beyond your training.

That was enlightening. Dare I ask -- what advice did I give?
  • Reply 51 of 57
    a major rule of investing.. you can't save people from themselves.

haha.
  • Reply 52 of 57
    Another enlightening comment.

BTW, the answer to the above rhetorical question is: none.
  • Reply 53 of 57
    Quote:

I don't claim to know what this pattern means, and since I don't know what it means, I don't expect it to change my outlook on the stock. But it might be nice if someone who's on the warpath for my simply having noticed this trend to have something useful to say about it, instead of being in attack mode, or in denial.

A data point is not a pattern or a trend.

You hand picked an aberration and are interpreting it as something it is not.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    Quote:

That was enlightening. Dare I ask -- what advice did I give?

All commentary outside your chosen field... Proctology? Podiatry?
  • Reply 55 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

A data point is not a pattern or a trend.

You hand picked an aberration and are interpreting it as something it is not.

Eleven weeks is not a "data point." Please look that term up before you use it again. I did not say it was a "pattern." It is a recent trend. Emphasis on recent. While you are at it, research how stock charts are read by the people who trade on stock charts. Is it also not an "aberration" -- it is a current reality, whether you like it or not. Reality sucks sometimes. Sorry about that. I'm not enjoying it either at the moment, and very much hope it changes -- but at least I'm not living in denial.
  • Reply 56 of 57
    Quote:

Eleven weeks is not a "data point." Please look that term up before you use it again. I did not say it was a "pattern." It is a recent trend. Emphasis on recent. While you are at it, research how stock charts are read by the people who trade on stock charts. Is it also not an "aberration" -- it is a current reality, whether you like it or not. Reality sucks sometimes. Sorry about that. I'm not enjoying it either at the moment, and very much hope it changes -- but at least I'm not living in denial.

Your logic sucks.

Welcome to my Ignore list.
  • Reply 57 of 57
    Perfect.