Amazon Kindle sales strong, but many buyers already own Apple's iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Amazon this week said the latest version of its Kindle e-reader has been its best-selling ever, while "many" buyers also own a touchscreen tablet like Apple's iPad.

In a press release this week, Amazon said that the third-generation Kindle is now the best-selling product in the online retailer's history. The Kindle surpassed the book "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" to take the top spot.

Amazon did not, however, disclose any actual sales figures for its e-ink-based book reader. It simply noted that the Wi-Fi and 3G Kindle models were the best-selling products on Amazon.com this holiday season.

"We're seeing that many of the people who are buying Kindles also own an LCD tablet," Amazon Chief Executive Jeff Bezos said. "Customers report using their LCD tablets for games, movies, and web browsing and their Kindles for reading sessions.

"They report preferring Kindle for reading because it weighs less, eliminates battery anxiety with its month-long battery, and has the advanced paper-like Pearl e-ink display that reduces eye-strain, doesn't interfere with sleep patterns at bedtime, and works outside in direct sunlight, an important consideration especially for vacation reading."

Of course, "LCD tablet" largely refers to Apple's iPad, the dominant device in the touchscreen tablet market. When the iPad launched earlier this year, it also marked the debut of the iBooks application for iOS devices, launching Apple's entrance into the e-book market and direct competition with the Amazon Kindle.

Despite continued strong sales of the Kindle, recent studies have found the e-ink reader has lost significant market share to the iPad. One survey released in November found that the Kindle carries 47 percent of the e-reader market, down from 68 percent in February 2010.

That survey found that Kindle readers are more likely to use the device for books, while iPad owners will use the color touchscreen to read more newspapers, magazines and websites.

Kindle is not only a device, but a platform, with a Kindle application available for both the iPad and iPhone. Amazon also allows customers to sync their books with traditional computers via the Kindle for Mac software.

Amazon also released facts about the 2010 holiday shopping season, many of them related to Apple. Among the best-selling electronics, in addition to the Kindle, was the 8GB iPod touch.

The online retailer also revealed that iPad and iPhone users were most likely to shop on Sunday. And the last Local Express Delivery order delivered in time for Christmas was a Mac Mini ordered at 1:41 p.m. on Christmas Eve. It was delivered to a customer in Woodinville, Wash., that evening at 8:04 p.m.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    Not hugely surprising, the bombardment of iPad ads I see every week look like they've dropped all mention of books, indicating maybe people arnt hugely interested in it as a e-reader. While at the same time I know people that don't even read books talking about getting a kindle.
  • Reply 2 of 46
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    I own a Kindle 3- one of the best purchases I've ever made. And seeing how it sold out on Amazon, so have many others.

Having said that, I will also buy an iPad, 2nd generation that is.

Analysts really need to stop comparing the two items, there is no comparison.

It's like comparing a DVD player to a computer with a DVD-Rom drive.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    Of course, it seems good strategy for Amazon to imply that if one already owns an iPad, buying a Kindle still makes sense.

It is true that Apple needs to do something to improve search facilities both in the iTunes store and in the iBook store, but especially in the last one.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    Have some backbone and give us sales figures. Otherwise, you're about as reliable as the RIM "wonder twins" saying the PlayBook is 'way better than the iPad'. Sheesh..
  • Reply 5 of 46
    The fact that Amazon is trying to market the Kindle as a great secondary product to the iPhone is an indicator that sales are leveling-off. As a consumer I need to make choices....I need my iPhone at all times and I take the iPad on the road. I would rather read from my iPad than adding a Kindle.

Plus, I just find it plain shady that Amazon is hiding sales figures. If its a great strategy, why doesn't Apple and Google do the same? Anyone with any common sense knows that Amazon is boosting hype to hide the fact that the Kindle sales would not be as impressive if we knew the real sales figures. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpeakerGendibal View Post

Have some backbone and give us sales figures. Otherwise, you're about as reliable as the RIM "wonder twins" saying the PlayBook is 'way better than the iPad'. Sheesh..

It's an Amazon "hobby" - he doesn't need to.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

Plus, I just find it plain shady that Amazon is hiding sales figures. If its a great strategy, why doesn't Apple and Google do the same? Anyone with any common sense knows that Amazon is boosting hype to hide the fact that the Kindle sales would not be as impressive if we knew the real sales figures. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

Apple does do the same. Is Apple "shady"?

Look at the 1st generation Apple TV.

How many were sold? Sold for 3 years.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Apple does do the same.

It didn't matter, it was written-off as a hobby from its inception, no-one really cared. It is still viewed as a hobby. Furthermore, they never created false hype to try and sell more of the units. I stopped trusting Amazon when they cut-off Delicious library as well as others from accessing the database for no reason. I NEVER buy from Amazon.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

It didn't matter, it was written-off as a hobby from its inception, no-one really cared. It is still viewed as a hobby. Furthermore, they never created false hype to try and sell more of the units. I stopped trusting Amazon when they cut-off Delicious library as well as others from accessing the database for no reason. I NEVER buy from Amazon.

What false hype?

Kindles are a mere fraction of Amazon's profits and therefor not driving Amazon's existence and therefor no need for disclosure - much like an Apple TV and Apple.

I never understand why if Apple does one thing it's OK but not allowed for another company- much like $50 Radio SHack iPhones being counted in their mix of iPhones sold yet Verizon's Android discounts are viewed as foul. Sacrilege!
  • Reply 10 of 46
    Next Apple Insider Blog post

"X company has (good sales, whatever postive), however Apple does better somehow."

Apple Insider defining sad, bias, jounalism with every single blog post.

I have an iPad and a Kindle 3. I read a lot, and I would never use my iPad to read anything more than a short email, or a web page.

The Kindle 3 runs circles around the iPad as a e-reader.

The real story here is that the iPad as a e-reader is a failure, and that Kindle and others have continued strong sales. That bloggers and ANALists should not compare Apples to Oranges.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

"X company has (good sales, whatever postive), however Apple does better somehow."

I have an iPad and a Kindle 3. I read a lot, and I would never use my iPad to read anything more than a short email, or a web page.

The real story here is that the iPad as a e-reader is a failure, and that Kindle and others have continued strong sales. That bloggers and ANALists should not compare Apples to Oranges.

You can not really compare an lcd to e-ink. There is no comparison. If you want to read, e-ink is far superior. The good news for Apple is that they have done much more damage to the netbook market than I think they anticipated.

Apple clearly misjudged what products they were actually competing against, but manage to come out strong anyway.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

What is really cool about Apple is that they don't care. Every company compares their products to iPhone, iPad, iPod, iTunes. Apple just keeps pushing forward with new and amazing technology. Motorola gave me a Droid 2 to develop Flash apps. I've been learning it and I wonder, where in the heck is the innovation?? they just ripped-off the iPhone. Apple turned such a huge corner on what cell phones should be. Why couldn't Google and RIM push beyond the iPhone instead of just copying. I don't get it.

I'm not a wealthy guy, I can't afford to buy an iPad AND a kindle, so, the best choice is definitely saving for an iPad. Millions of people seem to enjoy it, I have no idea what shady Amazon is selling because they need to hide the numbers for some bizarre reason.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    I stand by my view that there is room in the tablet ecosystem for both, and much more. The iPad finally cracked the tablet market, but there is much more room for growth and innovation. Looking forward to the next breakthrough product.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Apple does do the same. Is Apple "shady"?

The thing is companies don't report numbers that make them look bad. Apple didn't report first gen Apple TV numbers because they suck. Now, the 2nd gen is selling like hotcakes. They will report the numbers.

Same with Amazon on the Kindle. If the numbers made them look good, they would report them. They don't, so they say it is the best selling Kindle ever.

I think Amazon is doing the right thing by trying to associate their product as an compliment to the iPad. They sure can't sell more by setting up the two products as competition.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a press release this week, Amazon said

Well, that about says it all!

Bezos would have you believe if you lust after the iPad it's alright to buy a dinky Kindle too.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    I bought my mom a Kindle 3 for Christmas and I fell in love with the device. It doesn't compare with the iPad. It does what it does really well, and that is... read books. I found myself picking it up and wanting to read it. The iPad does everything great, but for some reason the Kindle is just one of those things that you put in your den and pick up for reading that book you are working on.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    If Apple wanted to break into the eReader market some more, they could design an iPad that has the beautiful IPS LCD screen on the front side, and put a 9.8" eInk display on the back side. This would make the iPad flat like the iPhone 4. Then, use the accelerometer to determine which end is facing up and toggle the screen. They would still use the touchscreen on the LCD side for things like flipping pages. Flip it over to pick another book, etc.

I doubt this would ever happen, but it would be interesting to see if such a beast would be usable.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    False hype?

The false hype is the fact that the Kindle(s) have been the run away #1 bestsellers on Amazon since day one. A list that is used to report news and other trends.

I even saw the question on a prime-time game show asking what the number one selling item was on Amazon last year. Guess what, it was the amazing Kindle. There is no proof because numbers are never made public, it is totally bogus. Nothing more than a PR stunt.

Wait, so most people buying a Kindle already own an LCD tablet (or iPad)? That makes no sense ... this whole article is just one big fabrication.

The Kindle was #1 even when they were out of stock ... give me a break.

Could you imaging GM or Toyota just giving out sales figures with no proof?

Ok, right now (12/28/10 @ 11:30 AM EST) on Amazon, Kindles hold the two top spots in Electronics (big surprise). They also have 3 of the top 6 and 4 of the top 10 ... are you freaking serious? These so called "Bestseller" lists are totally controlled by some tech geek at Amazon.

1.Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Wi-Fi, Graphite, 6" Display with New E Ink Pearl Technology by Amazon - Price: $139.00

2. Kindle 3G Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 3G Works Globally, Graphite, 6" Display with New E Ink Pearl Technology by Amazon - Price: $189.00

3. Seagate Expansion 640 GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive ST906404EXA101-RK by Seagate - Price: $84.95

4. Apple iPod touch 8 GB (4th Generation) NEWEST MODEL by Apple - Price: $209.95

5. Apple iPod touch 32 GB (4th Generation) NEWEST MODEL by Apple - Price: $274.95

6. Kindle 3G Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 3G Works Globally, White, 6" Display with New E Ink Pearl Technology by Amazon - Price: $189.00

7. Ranking has gone up in the past 24 hours - Apple TV MC572LL/A (2010) by Apple - Price: Price: $97.99

8. Roku XD Streaming Player 1080p by Roku - Price: $79.99

9. Ranking has gone down in the past 24 hours - Sony BDP-S570 3D Blu-ray Disc Player by Sony - Price: $148.00

10. Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G, 3G Works Globally, Graphite, 9.7" Display with New E Ink Pearl Technology by Amazon - Price: $379.00

The Apple TV is #7? And what do you think the ratio is of AppleTV sales to iPod touch sales?

Roku XD is #8? Walk into a mall and take a survey and see how many people even know what the heck a Roku XD even is. But yet it's the 8th biggest selling electronics device in the country according to Amazon.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    looking to buy iPad2 this year, but in NYC i see way more Kindles

people want to read on the subway. kindles are cheap. hold a lot of books so you don't have to carry them around. last a long time so you aren't recharging it all the time.

and amazon's kindle store via a web browser is a lot better than the iBook store on the iPad
  • Reply 20 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GotWake View Post

The thing is companies don't report numbers that make them look bad. Apple didn't report first gen Apple TV numbers because they suck. Now, the 2nd gen is selling like hotcakes. They will report the numbers.

Same with Amazon on the Kindle. If the numbers made them look good, they would report them. They don't, so they say it is the best selling Kindle ever.

I think Amazon is doing the right thing by trying to associate their product as an compliment to the iPad. They sure can't sell more by setting up the two products as competition.

First of all 1 million units sold is not exactly "selling like hotcakes".

And Amazon has done exactly the opposite - they have left the Kindle smartly as is- as a dedicated eReader. No color, no video. For readers, not mutli-media mavens.