Best places to buy Macs?!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
It seems like macmall and other places where I would typically buy a new mac are just not budging on prices like the used to.

Is anyone finding anywhere that will actually deal with you, especially if you want to buy multiple computers?

Thanks for any info!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Wow not a single response. Where are you guys buying your macs anyways?! or are you all paying full price?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

Wow not a single response. Where are you guys buying your macs anyways?! or are you all paying full price?

There's really nothing less than full price.

Either buy old-model clearance from Apple, refurbs from Apple, or a discount on Amazon. Other than that, the resellers and Apple straight are it. Apple doesn't do discounts.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There's really nothing less than full price.

Either buy old-model clearance from Apple, refurbs from Apple, or a discount on Amazon. Other than that, the resellers and Apple straight are it. Apple doesn't do discounts.

Seconded. 5 years ago I worked at an Apple reseller/authorized repair shop for a summer, one of the biggest. We made very little off macs themselves, the price we paid Apple price was ~$50 less than the SRP for example for an iBook. We made most of our money off accessories, repairs, and third party parts (like memory). From what I hear that hasn't changed. That's the reason you don't see major discounts on macs all that often.

I usually just buy online from Apple directly FWIW. If you can't use one of the Apple discounts like the edu one and Apple charges you tax then you may want to hunt for somewhere that doesn't charge tax in your state/country, but other'n that.... ::shrugs::
  • Reply 4 of 16
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seek3r View Post

Seconded. 5 years ago I worked at an Apple reseller/authorized repair shop for a summer, one of the biggest. We made very little off macs themselves, the price we paid Apple price was ~$50 less than the SRP for example for an iBook. We made most of our money off accessories, repairs, and third party parts (like memory). From what I hear that hasn't changed. That's the reason you don't see major discounts on macs all that often.

I usually just buy online from Apple directly FWIW. If you can't use one of the Apple discounts like the edu one and Apple charges you tax then you may want to hunt for somewhere that doesn't charge tax in your state/country, but other'n that.... ::shrugs::

Thirded. I have no idea what the OP is talking about. I am a Mac owner of 20 years. I purchased my first Mac with a 40% discount. At the time, I could have purchased an IBM PS/2 at a 60% discount. Well, IBM is now out of business [of personal computers]. The Wintel OEMs that continue sell on razor-thin margins--most of them at a loss. Apple does not sell at a loss, but it is not totally immune to the pressures of the market. If you qualify, then you may purchase with a ~$200 discount. This nominal value indicates that there is not a lot of fat in Mac prices today. Apple can give the OP a $2000 discount, but it will have to raise the base price by $2000 first.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Refurbished from Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Thanks for the thoughts. Guess I'll keep looking.

There was a recent article that Apple currently now has the biggest profit margin in computers @ 30-35%. So the idea of 'no fat' is a joke. People are willing to pay full price however (obviously) so why would retailers and resellers and even Apple sell them for less?! That's just bad business.

I myself also used to work in electronics, computers, and musical instrument sales and know there is a bigger margin than any of these companies ever want you to believe. "The computer won't even let me sell it to you less than 2%. We don't even get them that cheap! We're losing money at this price!" All a huge joke and pure lies.

If there were losing money they wouldn't be in business and selling 1,00's of them that way. It's all a ploy to get you to pay higher. As I said I come from sales and retail so I know the drill. And I also know that you could easily take 10% off and they're still doing just fine.

I just wish I knew some current 'cool' people who were willing to deal and still make money. I know they are out there. Where are you?!

Thanks again for any thoughts and feel free to chime in with any thoughts!
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

People are willing to pay full price however (obviously) so why would retailers and resellers and even Apple sell them for less?! That's just bad business.

Might want to reread that first sentence again. It's obvious why.

Quote:

If there were losing money they wouldn't be in business and selling 1,00's of them that way.

Microsoft and Sony manage to do it with consoles. Nintendo makes a profit on every unit.

Quote:

I just wish I knew some current 'cool' people who were willing to deal and still make money. I know they are out there. Where are you?!

Work for Apple and get the old developer discount of 25%+, depending on the hardware you buy.

Otherwise, you're trying to reach the edge of the desert by purposefully walking more toward the middle.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Thanks for the thoughts. Guess I'll keep looking.

There was a recent article that Apple currently now has the biggest profit margin in computers @ 30-35%. So the idea of 'no fat' is a joke. People are willing to pay full price however (obviously) so why would retailers and resellers and even Apple sell them for less?! That's just bad business.

Where to begin? Apple's business model has the company extremely profitable. The company's market capitalization has vaulted past Microsoft and now has the largest capitalization of any company on Earth. In Mr. Me-world, that is the best business there is.

Head-exploding question:

Which would you rather buy--a $650 computer at full-price or a $1000 computer at a 35% discount?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

The company's market capitalization has vaulted past Microsoft and now has the largest capitalization of any company on Earth.

Exxon Mobil and a few Chinese companies still have larger caps. Exxon by about 100 billion dollars, so I'm not sure where you're getting this.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Exxon Mobil and a few Chinese companies still have larger caps. Exxon by about 100 billion dollars, so I'm not sure where you're getting this.

I was parroting news reports rather than doing my own research. According to this website, ExxonMobil is indeed Number 1. Apple trails by about $70 B for the second spot. The top Chinese company comes in at Number 3. Microsoft trails behind at Number 5. The second highest Chinese company does no better than Number 6.

This Apple customer will gladly accept the company's second place position.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:

I was parroting news reports rather than doing my own research. According to this website, ExxonMobil is indeed Number 1. Apple trails by about $70 M for the second spot. The top Chinese company comes in at Number 3. Microsoft trails behind at Number 5. The second highest Chinese company does no better than Number 6.

This Apple customer will gladly accept the company's second place position.

One nitpick, the units in the linked page are in $US Millions, Apple trails Exxon by $70 billion. Exxon is a *hugely* valuable company

/not that it invalidates your point in any way
  • Reply 12 of 16
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kennybouy View Post

What about this place... http://www.toshnewzealand.com/index.php?cPath=18

Never bought anything from 403 Forbidden before.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Never bought anything from 403 Forbidden before.

The link works for me.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

The link works for me.

The top-level URL doesn't even work for me.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    The link works fine for me, but I can't give you any opinion on the store.