iPod nano hacked, Apple allows iPhone app with volume button camera shutter

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hackers have successfully broken into the new iPod nano, which could lead to custom applications for the tiny multi-touch device. Also, a new application on the iPhone App Store allows users to press a hardware volume button on the handset to snap a picture.

iPod nano hack could lead to jailbreaking

Hacker James Whelton revealed this week that he has successfully broken into the new multi-touch iPod nano. Though the latest iPod nano has an interface similar to the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, it runs its own unique operating system and not iOS.

By breaking into the device, he managed to remove an application and create blank space on the iPod nano's home screen. Whelton said he found references to Movies, TV Shows, Apps, Games, vCards and Calendar Events in the device's plist files. He said the operating system appears to be a "rehashed version" of the previous iPod nano software.

"If we can get a bootloader or something on it, I think it'd be an awesome device and may be easier as it has disk mode available," Whelton wrote on his personal blog.

For years, hackers have been "jailbreaking," or exploiting code on iOS devices. The process allows users to run software not allowed within Apple's tightly controlled mobile operating system, such as allowing new features and functionality on the devices.

Quick Snap allowed into iPhone App Store

In what was likely an error in Apple's approval process, the $1.99 application (iTunes link) "Quick Snap - Camera Plus" is available for purchase on the App Store. In the description by developer GoodCode, it advertises first and foremost the software's ability to make the iPhone volume button a camera shutter button.

"Why choose the soft or full screen shutter when you can use VOLUME BUTTON as the hard shutter button on your iPhone?" it reads. "You are now one step close to the real digital camera experience! Isn't that awesome?"

Released on Dec. 15, "Quick Snap" is still available for download on the App Store. The 2MB application requires iOS 3.0 or later, and is compatible with the iPhone and fourth-generation iPod touch.

Using a hardware button on the iPhone for anything other than its designed purpose is against the terms of Apple's developer agreement. This fact gained considerable attention when another application, "Camera +," was pulled from the App Store in August after it was revealed the software included an "Easter egg" that allowed the volume button to serve as a camera shutter.

"Camera +" was eventually allowed into the App Store last week with a new version 2.0 update packing more than 50 new features. Not among those features, however, was the previous, secret camera shutter button, dubbed "VolumeSnap."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Released on Dec. 15, "Quick Snap" is still available for download

Just tried it, looks like it is gone
  • Reply 2 of 24
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Look at the great things hackers are doing with Microsoft's kinect. Microsoft can just sit back, relax, and let the ideas come in for free, and then eventually form those ideas in real world CASH COWS. Apple should do this with the ipod nano. Why the heck not? I don't have much of an imagination for these things, but if they made it easier for hackers to get into, who knows what they would come up with, and what ideas Apple could legally use for future versions.

Is it really so hard to raise a flag when someone hacks their device so Apple can easily see they voided their warranty?
  • Reply 3 of 24
    App is bogus anyway. Required 5 second press of home button to activate feature but Voice Control comes up instead. RiP off.

Apple should offer this feature!!!
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rkzerok View Post

App is bogus anyway. Required 5 second press of home button to activate feature but Voice Control comes up instead. RiP off.

LOL. You don't press the home button. Look at the screenshot again.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    lanklank Posts: 27member
    It is still there as of 3:00PM MT 12/28. But before you throw away $2.00 read the reviews.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    I must admit, using the camera with a touchscreen button sucks. A real button would be more useful.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I must admit, using the camera with a touchscreen button sucks. A real button would be more useful.

I agree with this! Apple usually gets things right....eventually, hockey puck mouse, too little ram in their laptops, glassy screens, iphone cut and paste, iMovie Classic, iphone apps in the background, iPhoto '11 email of photos fix, etc.

I have found the touchscreen button a bit awkward to take photos, too.

Best
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Look at the great things hackers are doing with Microsoft's kinect. Microsoft can just sit back, relax, and let the ideas come in for free, and then eventually form those ideas in real world CASH COWS. Apple should do this with the ipod nano. Why the heck not?

Shouldn't that be "Why the hack not?"?!

Sorry mate, couldn't help myself...

/

/

/
  • Reply 9 of 24
    A hardware button wouldn't go with Apple's insistence for minimalism.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Shouldn't that be "Why the hack not?"?!

Sorry mate, couldn't help myself...

/

/

/

lolz.. Theu wont coz that's not in their DNA.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

A hardware button wouldn't go with Apple's insistence for minimalism.

Agreed, Striker, but the camera app could use the '+' and/or the '-' volume buttons to 'snap' the photo only when in the camera mode....

Best
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Agreed, Striker, but the camera app could use the '+' and/or the '-' volume buttons to 'snap' the photo only when in the camera mode.

It's worth noting that the hardware volume buttons are not in a very good spot to work as camera buttons.

They are upside down and on the wrong side for landscape photos, and left handed and sideways for portrait shots. They really couldn't be in a worse location.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It's worth noting that the hardware volume buttons are not in a very good spot to work as camera buttons.

They are upside down and on the wrong side for landscape photos, and left handed and sideways for portrait shots. They really couldn't be in a worse location.

What if you just... you know... flipped the phone? (Use the accelerometer to determine the orientation)
  • Reply 14 of 24
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FurbiesAndBeans View Post

What if you just... you know... flipped the phone? (Use the accelerometer to determine the orientation)

dont get technical
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Apple pulled it already. So critical of themselves
  • Reply 16 of 24
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I wouldn't bother wasting my money, Gameloft and EA games both have 99c titles on sale which are far better value.

Taking photos is just a matter of placing a thumb or finger on the on screen button then snapping the shot when you lift it off, it couldn't be easier.

I wonder how much this crappy App took in it's hit and run raid on the App store.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Oh great, now all the jailbreak people are going to steal apps on the iPod Nano too.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Oh great, now all the jailbreak people are going to steal apps on the iPod Nano too.

Keep your bigotry and fallacious comments in threads where they might make at least SOME sense, please.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Look at the great things hackers are doing with Microsoft's kinect. Microsoft can just sit back, relax, and let the ideas come in for free, and then eventually form those ideas in real world CASH COWS. Apple should do this with the ipod nano. Why the heck not?

Well, Apple essentially did this with the iPhone. I'm sure "Apps" were the plan all along, but after how quickly and enthusiastically hackers broke into the original iPhone, I'd be willing to bet that Apple sped up the release cycle for the App Store.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Keep your bigotry and fallacious comments in threads where they might make at least SOME sense, please.

Hey, Tallest, what brings you here after so many years on MacRumors?

-Clive
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Hey, Tallest, what brings you here after so many years on MacRumors?

-Clive

Is that a roundabout way of telling me that I'm too mean? Just tell me straight up; I was too coarse on MacRumors.

I like the community. I like Apple. There's not much left that I enjoy in life, and I didn't want to lose it completely.