Apple's next-gen iPad to have three models, including CDMA - rumor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    Digitimes has proven unreliable time and time again. Their rumors are as trustwothy as Shaw Wu's.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    What? No 4G Sprint iPad?
  • Reply 23 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

This is also one of the reasons I haven't bought one. For me, this is meant to be a living room / coffee table item that every member of the family should be able to use. I am not going to buy 4 and then have 4 lying around and you get the wrong one all the time, nor do I want free access of all family members to all family member's e-mail.

I totally agree with you, however I'll probably pick up version 2.0 anyway and hope that multiple users will be added in the next iOS release. If the base flash storage increases to 32GB, another obstacle would be removed as some might say that there isn't enough on-board storage for multiple users' files.

And I totally disagree with the post that said an iPad isn't a shared device. Any electronic device that is meant to be left on an end table, coffee table, countertop or night stand is a shared device.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

He suggested BY $150, not TO $150. I still agree with you, the price won't drop by $150. I could see $100 drop as the max for the old models, if any

They already dropped them $100 before Christmas in the case of refurbished iPads. I doubt Apple was selling them at a loss.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    And my #1 feature request:

? SUPPORT FOR MULTIPLE USERS! .

This is the key to Ipad2 being a super success. Make no mistake Ipad2 will Be better than the first, the only question is will Apple beef it up enough to be the Superstar of 2011
  • Reply 26 of 44
    Major Question: Will Verizon sag in response to hosting iPad/iPhone traffic the way ATT did? How real is the aggrandizement of Verizon by disgruntled ATT users?

I don't know how real this impression is. What makes people think that Verizon will really be any better? Advertising hype? Lack of meeting the challenges in the Real World? Spare bandwidth ready to take on Apple sauce?
  • Reply 27 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzzMega View Post

Major Question: Will Verizon sag in response to hosting iPad/iPhone traffic the way ATT did? How real is the aggrandizement of Verizon by disgruntled ATT users?

I don't know how real this impression is. What makes people think that Verizon will really be any better? Advertising hype? Lack of meeting the challenges in the Real World? Spare bandwidth ready to take on Apple sauce?

Back in 2007, I?d think so, but the iPhone paved the way for data-heavy phones that are now a big part of every carrier so if they get the iPhone next year it won?t be as big of a shock that AT&T likely had.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacinScott View Post

And I totally disagree with the post that said an iPad isn't a shared device. Any electronic device that is meant to be left on an end table, coffee table, countertop or night stand is a shared device.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

? SUPPORT FOR MULTIPLE USERS! .

This is the key to Ipad2 being a super success. Make no mistake Ipad2 will Be better than the first, the only question is will Apple beef it up enough to be the Superstar of 2011

Not picking on you in particular -- While sharing an iPad might appear desirable, is it practical!

Think about the way a Mac is shared among several users:

-- all applications are in the /Applications folder and available to all users

-- each user has a "home" folder -- /Users/Richard, in my case

-- within the "home folder" are all the files that are unique (private) to that particular user

---- Desktop

---- Documents

---- Downloads

---- Library

---- Movies

---- Music

---- Pictures

---- Public

---- Sites

Most of us are familiar with the Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music and Pictures folder contents.

The Library folder contains things unique to the user's use of the system -- things like:

-- preference settings for applications

-- status settings for applications, e.g. game level and score for this user

-- preference settings for the system

-- caches

-- mail data (sent and received) including attachments

-- calendar data

-- contacts data

So, we want to sync information for multiple users to a single iPad! Lets start with a simple thing, content;

Say, we have 5 users in the home and each has 4 different [currently] favorite movies at 1.5 GB each: 5 x 4 x 1.5GB == 30 GB for movies. We have a problem with storage for movie content.

We have a similar problem for photo and music content.

OK, lets say we can cut back on the movies, photos, and music and allow each user 3 GB for his content 5 x 3GB == 30 GB.

We all can share all the games and all the apps... Right? ...Right... ...But say I was playing Bejeweled at a certain level, then quit. When I next start Bejeweled it resumes right where I left off, current game, saved scores, etc. Unless, Unless, Sis played Bejeweled after me -- then all my status and settings are lost and replaced with hers.

This is a problem with games (and other apps) on the iPad because they are not designed like games (and other apps) on a Mac -- they do not save settings status and caches for each user.

Actually, you have a similar problem with movies. Big Sister starts watching Casa Blanca and gets half way through... little Bro gets on the iPad and starts Casa Blanca from the beginning -- Big Pister is really sissed -- little bro has lost her position in the movie. I'm Shocked!

We have a similar problem with any iPad app that saves and resumes state so the user can continue where he left off -- virtually all apps -- because they are not designed to accommodate multiple users.

OK, say, Apple, and the app developers can rectify this to work the same way as it works with multiple users on the Mac.

Assume we can share any and all apps on the iPad among multiple users.

Assume we can share common content on the iPad among multiple users.

Assume we can secure each user's private content (mail, contacts, etc.) on the iPad with a userID password..

How do we cet all that stuff on the iPad?

In our household, that stuff is spread across 7 Macs and 5 Users.

Even if we could serially/cumulatively sync a single iPad to multiple Macs it would be a real PITA, and take forever.

BTW, we have 2 iPads -- soon to be 3 -- so this will be PITA x 3.

For example, we have a general rule in our household that all iTunes App Store purchases are done on a singe Mac. All iDevices sync apps from this Mac so each can have a copy of any of the apps.

Periodically, someone will get an iTunes gift card and download an App to their iDevice. It becomes difficult (sometimes impossible) to share that among the other iDevices -- sometimes we must repurchase the app.

Because of past usage, we have iTunes Music Store purchases allowed on several users on several Macs. We consolidate these on a Media-Library (Mac Mini) authorized for each iTMS account.

Individual users synch everything (except apps) on their iDevices to their individual iTMS account on whatever Mac it exists.

Each user's iDevice is synched to the central "App" Mac to get apps only.

The point of all this: without some rethinking, redesign and coordination with developers -- Multi-User support for the iPad will be, at best, a mediocre implementation -- something Apple avoids like the plague.

Hopefully, over time, Apple will address and resolve this issue.

Hopefully, Apple will do it in a way that each family member will not require ITSC training and certification -- Information Technology Sync Coordinator.

Finally, the iPad is a "magical" device! It is so "magical" that multiple users want to use the iPad.. at the same time.

It may be that the "Multi-User iPad" solution is provided by N+1 iPads (where N is the number of people in the household)... Each iPad with a different color case.

I am serious about this! When you consider the cost of a PGP, computer, TV, PMP, etc. for each household member -- a $500 device for each person is a pretty cost-effective solution!

• Reply 29 of 44
    Good argument, Dick.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Quote:

? SUPPORT FOR MULTIPLE USERS!

I want multiple user support too.

With a front-facing camera, and iPhoto-like face recognition, it would be a no-brainer to automatically log in to that user's account as well.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    I think better antiglare coating is a must, I love my ipad, but there's so much glare going on there in so many situations, it just tires my fairly old eyes, much more than my new air or my (matte) do. I sure hope they are able to do something more about this. It's just not enough the way it is right now for a lot of users. Some of course, have no problem with it, but that's life.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Good argument, Dick.

Mmm...but really what most folks would want is just independent secure email, texting, social media and calendar logins.

Sharing movies, apps, etc is fine really.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Mmm...but really what most folks would want is just independent secure email, texting, social media and calendar logins.

I don?t disagree wit that at all. I?ve been wanting to at least get a Guest Account option for iOS since the original iPhone. What I imagine is a toggle on/off switch in Settings where I can choose which apps to allow and if this Guest Account requires a PIN, and disable Push Services when in use.

But Dick?s argument is good. There is are a lot of things to consider. Would a Guest Account run atop a regular User Account? Do you still get pop ups if it?s turned on? Does having multiple User Accounts would mean that each is sandboxed into its own storage space, so does that mean each has to load in and out of RAM as you switch users? How fast would it be to switch users on the relatively slow ARM CPUs? How does this affect getting Push services when another account is logged in? Does it make sense to have the overhead of Fast User Switching on iOS with multiple User Accounts logged in at once? How much privacy can be had when Push Services can reveal so much on a device and how much does this inhibit the user experience if you prohibit such things?

Honestly, I stick with requesting a Guest Account because I think it?s the only one that seems achievable and remotely feasible.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    Quote:

SUPPORT FOR MULTIPLE USERS!

I can honestly say its not going to happen.

Why would they when they can sell 2 iPads?

When the next model comes out there will be a flood of people selling their old V1 iPads and this is when people can pick up a second or a third.

Apple knows this.

And because of this they are not going to put multiple users access into the current iPads. It would mean that people would only NEED one and not HAVE to buy 2 or more for the family.

Its smart marketing.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I don't care so much about the cameras and GPS, but I would like it to be faster (I'd like PDF rendering to be instantaneous) and I like the rumors of a flat back (the rounded back was an odd choice).

With a rounded back, it's easier to pick it up from a flat surface. I own both 3gs and iphone 4, and I really hate iphone 4, it's hard for me to pick it up.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don’t disagree wit that at all. I’ve been wanting to at least get a Guest Account option for iOS since the original iPhone. What I imagine is a toggle on/off switch in Settings where I can choose which apps to allow and if this Guest Account requires a PIN, and disable Push Services when in use.

But Dick’s argument is good. There is are a lot of things to consider. Would a Guest Account run atop a regular User Account? Do you still get pop ups if it’s turned on? Does having multiple User Accounts would mean that each is sandboxed into its own storage space, so does that mean each has to load in and out of RAM as you switch users? How fast would it be to switch users on the relatively slow ARM CPUs? How does this affect getting Push services when another account is logged in? Does it make sense to have the overhead of Fast User Switching on iOS with multiple User Accounts logged in at once? How much privacy can be had when Push Services can reveal so much on a device and how much does this inhibit the user experience if you prohibit such things?

Honestly, I stick with requesting a Guest Account because I think it’s the only one that seems achievable and remotely feasible.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

I can honestly say its not going to happen.

Why would they when they can sell 2 iPads?

When the next model comes out there will be a flood of people selling their old V1 iPads and this is when people can pick up a second or a third.

Apple knows this.

And because of this they are not going to put multiple users access into the current iPads. It would mean that people would only NEED one and not HAVE to buy 2 or more for the family.

Its smart marketing.

I agree that it would be nice to pick up an iPad (or any device) and log in and have private access to my private stuff -- call it a guest account or whatever!

But, it would be difficult (not impossible, but difficult) for the iPad to anticipate that I was going to log in and have my stuff ready to view -- a several second, or several minute, delay while it got my stuff.

Good!

Since it can let me get my stuff (email, calendar, texting, social media, etc.) -- why can't it remember where I was watching a movie, playing a game, writing a document...

How hard can that be?

But, still, it would need to wait until I login -- then go get the status/pointers/files to the stuff that I was working or playing with -- it doesn't know when I am going to log in.

At some point the iPad becomes just another computer -- I login and tell it who I am, then it goes and gets my stuff.

What has happened?

The login, the iPad, the whatever... has gotten between me and my stuff -- it is not mine -- it is not me -- it is no longer magical.

Damn it! I am important! I deserve to have a little magic in my life! I deserve a device that reflects what I am and what I want... what I am doing, and with what I am doing it!.

I would pay $50 a month to have that kind of magic in my life!

But, hey, I can get that magic for $500 and it will last at least 3 years -- or $13 per month.

You telling' me I'm not worth $13/month worth of magic?

Damn straight, I'm worth $13/month worth of magic!

So is everyone I know worth $13/month worth of magic!

And, that's the problem/solution.

The iPad is magically personal... The Personal Computer is not!

• Reply 37 of 44
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

Its smart marketing.

Big companies might want a work user account and a personal user account.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

I agree... but, that's different than a general multi-user device.

With a work account and a personal account the iPad can do its magic -- and make the device yours -- personally or business -- anticipating your every need.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    Doubt it. LTE model would make more sense at this point in time. CDMA = provider locking, something that Apple has been avoiding with the iPad.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Big companies can just use Good.