RIM struggling to fix PlayBook tablet battery issues, analyst says

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Research in Motion is unable to match the iPad's longer battery life with its prototype PlayBook tablets, which get just a "few hours" of battery life, according to one analyst.



Analyst Shaw Wu of Kaufman Bros. issued a note to investors Tuesday warning that engineering issues with the BlackBerry PlayBook's battery life could be the cause of delays. According to Wu, the PlayBook's "relatively poor battery life of a few hours" needs improvement. By comparison, Apple's iPad gets 10 hours of battery life and the Android-based Samsung Galaxy Tab gets 6 hours.



The battery issue could "require a bit of re-engineering," said Wu, and is "likely why RIMM pushed out its launch to the May 2011 quarter." RIM had promised a first quarter 2011 launch for the PlayBook, but left the tablet off its projected revenues for its next fiscal quarter, which ends Feb. 26.



According to Wu, these battery problems have arisen partly because "QNX wasn't originally designed for mobile environments." RIM bought QNX, which makes operating systems for everything from "cars to nuclear reactors," earlier this year.



The note also addresses several other concerns over RIM. The analyst sees good progress being made on QNX, but found that developers are "questioning the wisdom" of maintaining two operating systems, BlackBerry OS 6 and QNX. Another concern for Wu is app store monetization for the BlackBerry platform, which lacks the varied app selection that Apple offers in its App Store.



Despite these concerns, RIM's Jim Balsillie has insisted that the PlayBook is "way ahead" of the iPad. Co-CEO Mike Lazaridis recently said in an interview that the PlayBook OS is will lead RIM into the "next decade of mobile computing."



Wu maintained his "hold" rating for RIM, keeping the stock's price target at $60. RIM stock closed at $58.02 on Tuesday.



Wu also emphasized his position that the iPad will continue to dominate the tablet market. "As we have said before, we are not convinced that tablets outside of the iPad will see high volume success," he wrote in the note.



Though "public expectations" project between 1 million to 8 million PlayBook units sold in 2011, Wu has a conservative estimate of just 700,000 PlayBooks sold next year.



700,000 PlayBooks would likely be a small fraction of the number of iPads sold by Apple in 2011. Apple announced in May that it had sold 1 million iPads in just 28 days from launch. During Apple's most recent quarter, the iPad maker sold 4.19 million units of the popular tablet device.



A new report from DigiTimes suggests that Apple will produce about 40 million iPads next year, though an earlier report had suggested Apple may produce as many as 6 million second-generation iPads per month.
«1345

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 85
    Quite frankly, I have little faith in RIM getting things right in this first iteration. They just do not have the corporate mentality that fosters creativity to do things differently. At this point, you have to assume they are merely being reactionary to what Apple has set into motion - both on the phone and tablet sides of the business. I won't say they are going to go out of business tomorrow, but if the co-ceo's don't stop flapping their lips and saying ridiculously stupid things about having better product than Apple when they don't have anything to compare to, they are not going to be long-lived.
  • Reply 2 of 85
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 4,702member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    According to Wu, these battery problems have arisen partly because "QNX wasn't originally designed for mobile environments."



    Eh?? Come again?

    This is RIM we're talking about. Everything they do is about being "mobile".



    This being after the CEO was chest-thumping the superiority of the PlayBook over Apple's offering?
  • Reply 3 of 85
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,158member
    It seems that RIM does have a problem with the PlayBook. They keep pushing the release date. I imagine if a dual core processor is required to run a mobile OS then there will be problems.



    Quote:

    Though "public expectations" project between 1 million to 8 million PlayBook units sold in 2011, Wu has a conservative estimate of just 700,000 PlayBooks sold next year.



    Might as well say from 1 PlayBook to 8 million
  • Reply 4 of 85
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Uninstall Adobe Flash?
  • Reply 5 of 85
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 4,702member
    Well.. I wonder why it has problems depleting the battery so fast...



    It's a dual-core CPU?

    It runs Flash?

    It's a small footprint, meaning smaller battery?



    Darn... the reasons are just alluding me! </sarcasm>



    These are the same mistakes that everyone else continue to make yet never learn. Can't anyone else besides Apple be more pro-active when developing a long-lasting product? Is it really that difficult to write on a piece of paper, "must run fast, light, and long-lasting" and go from there?
  • Reply 6 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post


    Uninstall Adobe Flash?



    Best. Comment. Ever.
  • Reply 7 of 85
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Analyst Shaw Wu of Kaufman Bros. issued a note to investors Tuesday warning that engineering issues with the BlackBerry PlayBook's battery life could be the cause of delays.



    I have to agree with those that say this is still vapourware. With no dual-core demos (at least none I?ve seen), no price point, and no release date this can go anywhere at this point.



    Quote:

    According to Wu, these battery problems have arisen partly because "QNX wasn't originally designed for mobile environments."



    Neither was Mac OS X/Darwin/NeXTSTEP, WebKit, QuickTime, etc. but Apple made it efficient enough for mobiles. Just give RiM another decade and I?m sure they?ll work it out with QNX? assuming they are still in business then.



    Quote:

    The note also addresses several other concerns over RIM. The analyst sees good progress being made on QNX, but found that developers are "questioning the wisdom" of maintaining two operating systems, BlackBerry OS 6 and QNX. Another concern for Wu is app store monetization for the BlackBerry platform, which lacks the varied app selection that Apple offers in its App Store.



    They have no choice if they want a chance for a future. Devs will fall away from BB OS, but how much development has been going with it anyway? What is the benefit of sticking with BB OS for the unyielding future? They surely won?t maintain any devs with that plan.



    Quote:

    Despite these concerns, RIM's Jim Balsillie has insisted that the PlayBook is "way ahead" of the iPad. Co-CEO Mike Lazaridis recently said in an interview that the PlayBook OS is will lead RIM into the "next decade of mobile computing."



    Well, he might be right there. The PlayBook?s resource heavy OS is designed to run HW that Apple won?t need in the iPad for another decade.



    Nokia, Sony and RIM all need to focus on code. These companies have so much potential outside of this myopic and antiquated view that making a flashy HW casing or some pointless spec sheet items are the only things you need to make a good product.
  • Reply 8 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post


    Uninstall Adobe Flash?



  • Reply 9 of 85
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


    Eh?? Come again?

    This is RIM we're talking about. Everything they do is about being "mobile".



    This being after the CEO was chest-thumping the superiority of the PlayBook over Apple's offering?



    RIM only recently bought QNX and indeed, it was not designed for mobile phone OSes. It's typically in higher powered devices w/a constant power supply.



    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qnx
  • Reply 10 of 85
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post


    Uninstall Adobe Flash?



    Uninstall Adobe Air. Who needs a GUI anyway? Real users use a shell.
  • Reply 11 of 85
    If this is the device to take RIMM into the next decade... this doesn't bode too well.
  • Reply 12 of 85
    This is embarrassing. RIM is going to mess this up too, aren't they?



    They were fools to pre-announce so early, and to "compete" with features in today's iPad. Sad really.
  • Reply 13 of 85
    RIMM have been on my doomed radar for a while now. I find it very hard to see how they are going to survive the onslaught from Google and Microsoft (if microsoft sort themselves out) on the bread and butter business front. Even Apple are showing signs of desiring a piece of their corporate pie, but then why wouldn't they...it's practically being given away.
  • Reply 14 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Neither was Mac OS X/Darwin/NeXTSTEP, WebKit, QuickTime, etc. but Apple made it efficient enough for mobiles.



    The difference is that apple spent years to pare back and refine the software to ensure the user experience worked on the iPhone/iPad.



    Rim's work on their frankentablet amounted to taking qnx, adobe air, cortex a9, and whatever UI they've cobbled together and throw it all against a wall and see what sticks.



    If they want to make a competitive product, Rim needs to take their time to produce a solid device that competes with the iPad.



    One iPad killer's down for the count, let's see how long it takes for HP's iPad killer to bite the dust.
  • Reply 15 of 85
    So much for Jim Balsillie's claim that the Playbook is "way ahead" of the iPad. Even if it does amazing things that the iPad cannot (which I kinda doubt), who cares if it can only do so for a short period of time?



    The thing isn't even out yet and yet it's both "way ahead" and way behind. Sigh. \
  • Reply 16 of 85
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post


    Uninstall Adobe Flash?



  • Reply 17 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jca666us View Post


    The difference is that apple spent years to pare back and refine the software to ensure the user experience worked on the iPhone/iPad.



    Rim's work on their frankentablet amounted to taking qnx, adobe air, cortex a9, and whatever UI they've cobbled together and throw it all against a wall and see what sticks.



    If they want to make a competitive product, Rim needs to take their time to produce a solid device that competes with the iPad.



    One iPad killer's down for the count, let's see how long it takes for HP's iPad killer to bite the dust.



    The problem is...



    Why announce a product that is not even finished?
  • Reply 18 of 85
    So RIM needs two CEOs to do the job of one normal one?
  • Reply 19 of 85
    Storm, strike 1

    Storm 2, strike 2

    Playbook, strike 3?
  • Reply 20 of 85
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    gosh, you mean the mashup of QNX and Adobe whatever is trickier than RIM thought?



    i thought with two genius CEO's RIM was twice as smart as everyone else (four times as smart as MS).
Sign In or Register to comment.