Apple to add USB port to next-generation iPad - rumor

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A well-connected industry insider has relayed a rumor that Apple's second-generation iPad will include a built-in USB port when it launches in 2011.

On his official Twitter account this week, Eldar Murtazin shared the rumor that the new iPad will feature a USB port. Murtazin is a respected insider for news in the mobile world, and serves as editor in chief of the Mobile Review blog.

"Talked with colleague which working with some [original design manufacturer] vendors connected with Apple," he wrote. "He is research guy. According to his sources, iPad2 will have usb port."

If true, the addition could be a result of an agreement European device makers came to in 2009, with a pact that would ensure that a micro-USB ports would serve as a charger for mobile devices. That would be a change for Apple, which relies on its 30-pin iPod connector for syncing and charging on many of its devices, including the iPhone and iPad.

The current iPad offers limited USB connectivity with an adapter that is sold separately and plugs in to the 30-pin slot on the bottom of the touchscreen tablet. While the USB adapter is intended for importing photos from cameras, some have found that it also works with USB audio and some keyboards.

Rumors of Apple's second-generation iPad have picked up steam in recent weeks, as the device is expected to launch in the first quarter of 2011. One report this week claimed that Apple will build a third model that will include a CDMA 3G radio for wireless connectivity on the go.

Numerous cases claimed to be for the second-generation device have suggested that the new iPad will feature a larger speaker with a metal grille on the back side of the device. Reports have also claimed that the touchscreen tablet will have a flat back, much like the latest iPod touch.

Apple is also expected to add as many as two cameras to the new iPad, which will allow users of the device to engage in FaceTime video chat with owners of the iPhone 4, latest iPod touch, or Macs with the FaceTime software. The company is allegedly employing a top-down approach to making FaceTime an industry standard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    This rumor is lame. There's no way. Mark my words.
  • Reply 2 of 78
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    First of all, Apple doesn't need a USB port to meet the EU requirements for chargers when Apple's cable will work. It would just need a mini USB on the charger end. Even if Apple were to put a USB port into the device for charging, that doesn't mean that it would be a live USB port. It would only need the power lines to function, and any needed info for charge maintenance. The rest of the functions could be unsupported.

It's interesting to note that a number of companies that are buying iPads say that it's the LACK of a USB port that they like, as USB is now the most common port of entry (sic) for data theft.
  • Reply 3 of 78
    Also, FaceTime needs a hell of a lot more work before it's ready for prime time. The UI is a clumsy mess.
  • Reply 4 of 78
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Apple to add blu-ray to next-generation iPad.
  • Reply 5 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The current iPad offers limited USB connectivity with an adapter that is sold separately and plugs in to the 30-pin slot on the bottom of the touchscreen tablet. While the USB adapter is intended for importing photos from cameras, some have found that it also works with USB audio and some keyboards.

Since the OS4.2 update, Apple have dropped the max current for the Camera Connection Kit to 20mA, which has pretty much wrecked it's usefulness for me.

Has anyone else had bother with this, and is there a workaround that anyone knows of?
  • Reply 6 of 78
    I have seen certain discussions and every time, the feedback was mixed. Some people were seeing the problem, some weren't, which leads me to believe that there may be some other factor involved.

Personally, I have used the Camera Connection Kit just fine on my iPad running iOS 4.2.x.

I have not read of any workarounds, although I am admittedly not looking for them since the accessory functions normally for me.
  • Reply 7 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Also, FaceTime needs a hell of a lot more work before it's ready for prime time. The UI is a clumsy mess.

First person I am hearing that from...

What is wrong with FaceTime's UI? (Or are you talking about the availability issues, i.e. only on WiFi, etc.?)
  • Reply 8 of 78
    Quote:

lolwut? The UI is hardly complex enough to be called a mess. The weird way the mac has iChat and FaceTime now is certainly in need of further development but I don't see your complaints about the FaceTime UI. It seemed pretty straightforward to me.
  • Reply 9 of 78
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Numerous cases claimed to be for the second-generation device have suggested that the new iPad will feature a larger speaker with a metal grille on the back side of the device. Reports have also claimed that the touchscreen tablet will have a flat back, much like the latest iPod touch.

The flatter back surface makes sense. Tapping near the edge, especially if typing, on a flat surface does affect its usability if you are too forceful.
    Quote:

I have to agree with the others, it’s not a mess, at least not on iOS. I think it’s integrated quite nicely.

What I would like to see is a better Mac app released and FaceTime protocol suite finally being open for the world to see.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's interesting to note that a number of companies that are buying iPads say that it's the LACK of a USB port that they like, as USB is now the most common port of entry (sic) for data theft.

I don’t get this rationale. It’s the USB protocol that makes it easy to move data, and since the 30-pin connector uses USB connectivity you can still move data easily, albeit with an adapter or adapted cable.

Here is a clever adapter and app.
  • Reply 10 of 78
    Quote:

expected to launch in the first quarter of 2010.

First quarter 2011.

Can't wait to get my hands on this.
  • Reply 11 of 78
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The flatter back surface makes sense. Tapping near the edge, especially if typing, on a flat surface does affect its usability if you are too forceful.

I don’t get this rationale. It’s the USB protocol that makes it easy to move data, and since the 30-pin connector uses USB connectivity you can still move data easily, albeit with an adapter or adapted cable.

Here is a clever adapter and app.

Apple's connector doesn't have full USB functionality. It also requires iTunes. How would you connect a USB thumb drive, the most common way to steal data to an iPad to get private data off it? You would have to come up with a pretty specialized device. It would have to fool the iPad into thinking it's a full fledged computer with the proper password for itunes, at a minimum. Then maybe, it would sync all its data. How long would that take to sync a full iPad the first time? Certainly not easy to do in a corporate environment where you won't have much time.

That device is a flash memory card reader, just like Apple's, though more expensive. Useless to get data OFF the iPad or phone.
  • Reply 12 of 78
    I just received a wireless bluetooth keyboard for xmas. Very useful with the iPad. Apple's multi-functional case acts like a stand of sorts so you can prop up the iPad for typing as if it were a laptop. You even have limited ability to adjust to various angles.

The best part is you don't have to take the iPad out of its case like you do to mount it to the keyboard with the 30-pin connector attached.

But my son (and I imagine countless others) likes to have his iPad without a case. For those people and others who don't have Apple's more sophisticated multi-purpose case, Apple could build in a 'kickstand.'

Some kind of cool little arm could come out of the back, providing the ability to prop up the iPad. Apple could devise a clever way to make it feel substantial and work in either portrait or landscape mode. This would be incredibly useful and future cases could accommodate it with a slot cutout, perhaps.

You heard it here first. I've seen countless people propping up iPads. Should be built-in.
  • Reply 13 of 78
    Quote:

A well-connected industry insider has relayed a rumor that Apple's second-generation iPad will include a built-in USB port when it launches in 2011.

Bollocks.
  • Reply 14 of 78
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Apple's connector doesn't have full USB functionality. It also requires iTunes. How would you connect a USB thumb drive, the most common way to steal data to an iPad to get private data off it? You would have to come up with a pretty specialized device. It would have to fool the iPad into thinking it's a full fledged computer with the proper password for itunes, at a minimum. Then maybe, it would sync all its data. How long would that take to sync a full iPad the first time? Certainly not easy to do in a corporate environment where you won't have much time.

That device is a flash memory card reader, just like Apple's, though more expensive. Useless to get data OFF the iPad or phone.

Probably the most likely vector for attacking an iPad is something similar to the one click jailbreak website demoed a month or so ago on iPhone.

It is a pity that due to security concerns we are left without a user accessible file system. Seems lame to me to have to rely on cloud or email to send files between devices. There are times when I don't have a decent 3G Internet connection and free wifi cannot always be trusted when entering in your password. Also I deal with a lot of different kinds of files that I might like to store temporarily on my iPad simply for transport.

Apple likes to advertise that their devices are immune to virus unlike the competitors. But at what cost? Complete lock down of the file system? Since the iPad is not assigned to a carrier, it would be nice to allow sanctioned jail breaking for professionals and they can figure out some other way to protect the app store from theft.
  • Reply 15 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

Apple could build in a 'kickstand.'

Steve Jobs would sooner allow cockroaches to burrow inside his navel than put a "kickstand" on his magnum opus.
  • Reply 16 of 78
    Apple will NEVER NEVER NEVER add USB to ipad... as ipad is for experiencing a new touching world where USB is nothing and only muti-touches mean SOMETHING !! Believe me, I understand very deeply about what Apple is doing .... NO USB will be added on ipad 2...!!
  • Reply 17 of 78
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

First of all, Apple doesn't need a USB port to meet the EU requirements for chargers when Apple's cable will work. It would just need a mini USB on the charger end. Even if Apple were to put a USB port into the device for charging, that doesn't mean that it would be a live USB port. It would only need the power lines to function, and any needed info for charge maintenance. The rest of the functions could be unsupported.

I believe you are incorrect about meeting the EU's requirement. The purpose of the requirement was to allow any charger to work with any phone. Thus you reduce cost having to buy new chargers every time you get a new phone. And there's less environmental waste disposing of all the proprietary chargers. The requirement is for the B-side USB connector to be a mini-USB port. Apple's dock connector is on the B end of the cable (the A end plugs into your computer). Therefore, Apple's dock cable would not meet the requirement (or the intent) of the rule.

Also related to the fact that USB has designated A/B ends of the cable, a mini-USB port on an iPad would be a B-end connector, designating the iPad as the client. You'd still need a master (A-end) device to manage any data movement off the iPad. Apple could easily simply not include the data pins in the mini-USB port since it's only needed for charging, or they could include the data pins but have it act the same way the USB-B data pins in the dock connector behave. So there'd be no additional data security risks compared to the dock connector.
  • Reply 18 of 78
    I really don't think this will become reality.

Everything a usb port would do, their proprietary connection does fine. Chargers? Why lose the money. When you have a proprietary connection like that, you can make money off the cables.

Apple is about making money for it's share holders by making products that run well for the idiotic masses. Adding a usb would cater to a small vocal bunch, but clearly isn't needed as everyone is getting by just fine without it.

This rumor stinks.
  • Reply 19 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I really don't think this will become reality.

Everything a usb port would do, their proprietary connection does fine. Chargers? Why lose the money. When you have a proprietary connection like that, you can make money off the cables.

Apple is about making money for it's share holders by making products that run well for the idiotic masses. Adding a usb would cater to a small vocal bunch, but clearly isn't needed as everyone is getting by just fine without it.

This rumor stinks.

i think you're overestimating the amount of money apple makes off selling cables. Every single i-device ships with a cable, so we're really only talking about the market for replacement cables, which is probably quite small.
  • Reply 20 of 78
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

That's the whole point of the EU regulation...to reduce the waste on all those cables!