Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen re-files patent suit against Apple

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    WTF?!

Does all innovation have to come to a screeching halt before our government will do their Constitutional duty and eliminate these laws which only serve to stifle innovation?

Honestly, software should not be patentable. Pure and simple.

And the worst part is that I am not even sure that this is software. It sounds more like ideas to me, which the last time I checked were not patentable.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

I invented a "method for evacuating bowels in the bathroom while reading a magazine."

Paul Allen, you owe me $$$ !

How do you know he's infringing??
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

Any idea what that 'company' is?

something to do with multimedia or the web. it's there on his site of roughlydrafted.com
  • Reply 24 of 34
    it's shit like this, AI!

Tags, 'microsoft'.

Paul Allen has not worked at Microsoft in over 10 years, and only has shares in the company now. Due to stock links microsoft has with apple you may as well use the same RDF logic to claim Paul Allen is an apple employee too.

@nicolbolas "i should go back in time and copywrite the idea to "go to court with any parties due to possible using of copywrited ideas"

yes, hindsight is a wonderful thing. However coming up with a genuinely unique idea before anyone else that later becomes a logical commonplace idea / concept / process is actually quite hard. Challenge Accepted?
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shao View Post

it's shit like this, AI!

Tags, 'microsoft'.

Paul Allen has not worked at Microsoft in over 10 years, and only has shares in the company now. Due to stock links microsoft has with apple you may as well use the same RDF logic to claim Paul Allen is an apple employee too.

@nicolbolas "i should go back in time and copywrite the idea to "go to court with any parties due to possible using of copywrited ideas"

yes, hindsight is a wonderful thing. However coming up with a genuinely unique idea before anyone else that later becomes a logical commonplace idea / concept / process is actually quite hard. Challenge Accepted?

it was more of the joke of, when ever someone has a lawsuite or pretty much any legal action like in in court, i would get paid lol... even if it had "against companies named Apple" i would be rich

plus ofc its hard to comup with good ideas.... it was a joke...
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Thank heavens. Perhaps this will distract him from inflicting grotesque architectural monuments to his overweening ego on the people of Seattle.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:

I invented a "method for evacuating bowels in the bathroom while reading a magazine."

You are a genius, just let me get my cheque book
  • Reply 28 of 34
    "issued for an invention entitled".... What the hell did he invent. He just wrote some stuff on a piece of paper and actually invented NOTHING.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solipcyst View Post

"It" was digital data in exactly the same manner as spoken words are digital data. IOW, "it" is as analog as the day is long..

Words are certainly digital data. So it's written on paper... so what.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    What's unique about Apple's screen? We designed a UI that looks very similar to that for an e-commerce site back in 1998.

Quote:

"Browser for Use in Navigating a Body of Information, With Particular Application to Browsing Information Represented By Audiovisual Data."

Seems to me that an album jacket and a list of album tracks is generic and standard business process.

Quote:

Attention Manager for Occupying the Peripheral Attention of a Person in the Vicinity of a Display Device.

Does Apple do this? Coulda fooled me.

Quote:

Alerting Users to Items of Current Interest.

You mean like "those who bought X also bought Y"? We did that in '98 as well.

I've always liked Allen because he restored the Cinerama theatre in Seattle, but these lawsuits seem to be ridiculous, unless I'm missing something.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Quote:

You're too kind by giving Allen the benefit of the doubt that he actually can read.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Doesn't Paul Allen have enough money already? Greedy patent trolls should be kicked in the stones.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Apple has had just about the least effective legal team I've ever seen for a multi-billion dollar company. We'll see how they handle this.

Actually from what I have read, Apple has one of the meanest lawyers in the industry. Don't take my word for it but I read this somewhere on the net'.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shao View Post

it's shit like this, AI!

Tags, 'microsoft'.

Over 10 years? Paul Allen was out of Microsoft by 1983. They gave him a board position that he held until 2000.