iWork: how to install second copy

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have downloaded iWork '09, tried it and registered it, and am using it on a Mini. So far, no problem.

Being an honest fellow, I had bought the "family" license, so that my wife can use it on her laptop. I copied the entire iWork folder (Keynote, Numbers & Pages) into the Applications folder on the laptop and, of course, gave her the registration key.

When she tries to launch one of the applications, she never reaches the stage of being asked to enter the key. The only thing she gets is a message saying that there is a problem, and she should check with the developer to see whether the software is compatible with her version of OS X, and it may be necessary to reinstall the software.

The OS X version is the same on both computers (10.6.5).

Can anyone tell me what the message means?

If she does need to reinstall the software, how exactly is this done?

Thanks in advance (from a pair of Mac newbies) for any advice.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Why don't you just install the software on the second computer rather than trying to copy it?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    What he means is, find the application installer you downloaded. Should be in your downloads folder. The other option is to simply download the trial version on the other Mac direct from Apple and enter the license key. Drag copying of applications doesn't always work.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    The download took more than four hours; copying took less than 10 minutes. That's the only reason.

Thanks for the advice: I'll download it again.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alogbe View Post

The download took more than four hours; copying took less than 10 minutes. That's the only reason.

Thanks for the advice: I'll download it again.

No need to download it again. You should probably still have the installer that came with the original download.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

No need to download it again. You should probably still have the installer that came with the original download.

Well, we did the second download before I read your message. And it works, so the problem has gone away.

But for future reference, could you please tell me where to find the "installer" and how to use it?

(Sorry, but I did admit I was a newbie.)
  • Reply 6 of 9
    You already downloaded it once... that original download came as a *.dmg file... you could do a search for that type of file on your HDD.

Of course, it's possible you deleted that file after the install, in which case you would HAVE to download it again.

In any case, some Apps can be "copied" like you tried to do and will work just fine, but others (like iWork) use installers that also install extra (needed) files in places like the System Library folder ... in those cases, you need to run the installer program rather than just drag-and-drop copying.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    So that's what a .dmg file is!

I'll know next time. Thanks.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    It's in your downloads folder, as I said above.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alogbe View Post

So that's what a .dmg file is!

I'll know next time. Thanks.

.dmg is a compressed "disk image".

When you double-click it, it opens as if it were an attached disk. You can then copy files from it to your "real' HDD, or run Apps from it (like an installer), etc.