'Double-click' patent lawsuit attacks Apple's iPhone, iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    Very bummed, had the idea of patenting "Method to touch other things" idea, should have gone for it.
  • Reply 22 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

You have to be fscking kidding me! Some PTO examiners need to get fired. How do you fix this broken system?!

If only the losers of patent trolling had to pay costs, they wouldn't lodge totally groundless claims. As it is, it only costs a few thousand dollars to get into it with the possibility of payouts in the hundreds of thousands or even millions. They can lose 99 out of 100 cases and the last one will pay for all the others with profit left over. If trolls' costs went up by tens of thousands of dollars, they'd hold fire.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    Possibly the daftest patent since Amazon's 'One Click'.

I have an idea... has the triple click patent already gone? Genius coming through.
  • Reply 24 of 70
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I have an idea... has the triple click patent already gone? Genius coming through.

If it has then Apple is probably in violation. If you double click a word in a text string, it selects the whole word. If you triple click it selects the whole line of text.
  • Reply 25 of 70
    This Hopewell Culture and Design doesn't appear to even have a website, at least according to a Google search.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    ondblclick is a javascript event handler that can do whatever a programmer wants to do with a double click, including interacting with a visual object to change its appearance etc. So who do you sue for that?
  • Reply 27 of 70
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    When I first touched a Mac, you double-clicked to open an application. A single click on a page inserted the cursor on that page. The IDEA of a double-click cannot be patented. This is surely NOT what Ben Franklin and the rest had in mind with the idea of patents.
  • Reply 28 of 70
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If it has then Apple is probably in violation. If you double click a word in a text string, it selects the whole word. If you triple click it selects the whole line of text.

Surely the result of any such action is specifically identified in a patent, i.e. A triple click could be used to do something other than what any patent covers without infringement.
  • Reply 29 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Surely the result of any such action is specifically identified in a patent, i.e. A triple click could be used to do something other than what any patent covers without infringement.

Which is precisely what is wrong with this patent. There are probably an infinite number of distinctly different things one could do with a double click. Interact with a an active display element? That should cover pretty much everything. Right?
  • Reply 30 of 70
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    how long before we are all sued by international megalacorp for infringing upon their patent of "acquiring information using multi-scan organic optical devices"?
  • Reply 31 of 70
    Whats the deal with all These Trolls coming out from under the Bridge. Your pointless lawsuits are costing my stocks money!
  • Reply 32 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Since this was invented by Xerox way before 2002 this had better be thrown out. ...

Actually, no. Xerox used a three button mouse.

Jobs thought that three buttons would be confusing, especially to new users. He decided Lisa would sport a one button mouse. He tasked the Lisa team with coming up with a way to do everything with a one button mouse. One of the things they came up with was the double-click. Lisa was released in 1983.
  • Reply 33 of 70
    Companies like this are the hyena's in the computer world.
  • Reply 34 of 70
    Absolutely assinine.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    Quote:

OK 'Quadruple Click' then
  • Reply 36 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So... trying to patent the CONCEPT of double-clicking.

Yeah. This will get laughed out of the courtroom. I just wish I was the judge to do the laughing.

Not to be rude, but are you a throwaway account designed to make fun of solipsism?

No offense, but how about "Solip-sister"?
  • Reply 37 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

OK 'Quadruple Click' then

Sorry. A quadruple click is really just two double clicks in short succession so I will need to sue you twice.
  • Reply 38 of 70
    Quote:

Sorry. A quadruple click is really just two double clicks in short succession so I will need to sue you twice.

And you'll be countersued by the 4x single-click patent holder.
  • Reply 39 of 70
    Double-tapping on a screen to change a view, or to interact with content, or initiate some other action was part of Newton 2.0 interface programming circa 1996.

For example, a Newton user could double tap a blank space to bring up the keyboard; a double or triple tap could scroll items in a "list picker," or double tapping a word, misrecognized by Newton's handwriting recognizer, would bring pop up a list of possible corrections.

This should be a no brainer for Apple's attorneys.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    Sorry guys, I patented the "Method of Removing Waste From a Toilet By Means of a Lever" back in '76. Pay up for all your bathroom runs.