New Internal Hard Drive For MacBookPro - Snow Leaopard Question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Okay so my hard drive took a dump on me the other day and I had to order a new one. I do not know where my install CDs are so it will be a bare drive. Am I able to buy the Snow Leopard CD and just use that to do an install? Even though it says that it is an Upgrade disk?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Yep, that'll work.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Okay so my hard drive took a dump on me the other day and I had to order a new one. I do not know where my install CDs are so it will be a bare drive. Am I able to buy the Snow Leopard CD and just use that to do an install? Even though it says that it is an Upgrade disk?

The HD in my MBP crashed too, last week. It ran under OSX.5.8. Got it replaced under Apple Care. Restored my Time Machine backup to it. Ran Software Update. And then the new HD turned out to have Snow Leopard installed on it! Which I did not order, or pay for...

So now I have a brandnew, fully restored HD, running under OSX.6.5!

(Mind you: this is the third HD in this early 2009 MBP! Thank God for Time Machine).

I'm not complaining. But why? Why, if this is an Apple program, without any mentioning or publicity at all?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

The HD in my MBP crashed too, last week. It ran under OSX.5.8. Got it replaced under Apple Care. Restored my Time Machine backup to it. Ran Software Update. And then the new HD turned out to have Snow Leopard installed on it! Which I did not order, or pay for...

So now I have a brandnew, fully restored HD, running under OSX.6.5!

(Mind you: this is the third HD in this early 2009 MBP! Thank God for Time Machine).

I'm not complaining. But why? Why, if this is an Apple program, without any mentioning or publicity at all?

Chances are Apple's replacement hard drives are already imaged with the most up to date installation for each specific product and they just drop a new one in. They would have to keep a stock of all OSX installations otherwise, and I can't see Apple doing that simply because it would needlessly clog up the inventory. Apple are unlikely to be publicising anything about their products failing and parts being replaced under warranty; doesn't exactly enstill a positive image.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Feynman, I don't think the upgrade disk will work for you if you are getting a disk from anyone except Apple. Apple will install the system on it. They don't install any of the other programs ie- iLife, iWork etc. If you are getting the HD from Seagate or Western Digital or who ever it will be a blank disk and the upgrade disk will not do you any good. It has to see an earlier OS for it to work. Hope you have a Time Machine backup.