'Double-click' patent lawsuit attacks Apple's iPhone, iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Which is precisely what is wrong with this patent. There are probably an infinite number of distinctly different things one could do with a double click. Interact with a an active display element? That should cover pretty much everything. Right?

Agreed.
  • Reply 42 of 70
    Patent for a double click? Seriously?
  • Reply 43 of 70
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

Sorry guys, I patented the "Method of Removing Waste From a Toilet By Means of a Lever" back in '76. Pay up for all your bathroom runs.

All toilets are in violation of Egyptian lever patents for lifting stone blocks. Case coming soon to an east Texas court room ...
  • Reply 44 of 70
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member
    Shouldn't Apple's first motion be to relocate the suit to CA since both the plaintiff and defense "reside" in CA? That'd torque the troll off since it'd rob them of their troll-friendly TX jury.
  • Reply 45 of 70
    Forget the patent office, this proves there is no God.
  • Reply 46 of 70
    When is "ENOUGH" enough??? I do not know that much about this patent but these patent lawsuits coming out of Eastern Texas are just insane. Somebody get Obama to see what is happening here in the patent lawsuit capital of the world.

But seriously this sounds like another dumb lawsuit. Double click, and double tap are not the same thing. Throw it out.
  • Reply 47 of 70
    what the hell is going on in the US with all this patent lawsuits? is everything patented? can i breathe without paying a license first? this is just stupid, sorry but it really drives me crazy, someone has to stop all this lawsuits and i'm not saying it because they are against apple.
  • Reply 48 of 70
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

OK 'Quadruple Click' then

That is a double-double click, so you would be in violation twice of the single double-click
  • Reply 49 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This sounds like the "inventor" of the double-click is trying to extend it to the double-tap, so he can get paid all over again. Shameless.

It clearly doesn't apply. The title alone: "Double-Clicking a Point-and-Click User Interface Apparatus to Enable a New Interaction with Content represented by an Active Visual Display Element."Implies an "apparatus" (mouse) with which you "click." Tapping with your finger instead of a mouse is entirely different.

Only this particular court (Texas ), would have even entertained the case at all.

This evening after a very rich meal I hed to double burp. Should I be afraid now of beeing sued?\
  • Reply 50 of 70
    Wow, Nokia's N900 phone exists to these people enough to name it in the lawsuit, lol
  • Reply 51 of 70
    Everything on a desk top since xerox park is double click. I love that the patent states "double click" yet in the complaint they add the tap so the complaint reads "double click or double tap" .. wow
  • Reply 52 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Everything on a desk top since xerox park is double click. I love that the patent states "double click" yet in the complaint they add the tap so the complaint reads "double click or double tap" .. wow

Not even bothering to sue laptops makers with Synaptics touchpads (or Synaptics for that matter) that featured double taps for who knows how long.
  • Reply 53 of 70
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Who are the fk'n morons running the patent office???????? Double click this you twits (middle finger extended)
  • Reply 54 of 70
    I use double tapping when I write "tapping." Do I get sued, too? Rats. There it goes again!
  • Reply 55 of 70
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member
    You have to pay a filing fee. Then the defendant has to pay fees. Then there are hearing fees for use of the courtroom. Every time a motion is filed, there is a fee. Win lose or draw, whether its in the suit that the defendant pays the plaintiffs fees or not ... There are those fees.

The vast majority of these patent cases are filed in the Eastern District of Texas. Its no coincidence.

Kind of reminds me of one of those 1950's small towns in the middle of nowhere on a 'Federal Highway with a single stop sign where the town makes its money with speed traps for out of towner's passing through.

Who exactly is making the money here? Is it a court or a business?
  • Reply 56 of 70
    I have received a patent for the "Removal of fecal matter from the posterior of humans and other animals through the wiping of a soft tissue paper, usually delivered in roll form, across the surface of said posterior to collect said fecal matter". And I will be suing everyone who violates it.
  • Reply 57 of 70
    Let's not forget the iPod Touch, which helped Apple achieve those platform app numbers to a large extent. MS, Palm and company can't match that advantage.

(oops wrong story)
  • Reply 58 of 70
    Why create when you can sue?

Intellectual property law has become just one more way to codify greed. The notion that anyone can own an idea is (forgive me) patently absurd.
  • Reply 59 of 70
    Why does the great state of Texas allow such idiotic behaviour on their soil? The Pathetic Patent Office and the Trolls that abuse patents could be stopped if the Legislature decided enough is enough. Until they stop this nonsense, they look like idiots. What is the incentive for Texas to put up with so much ridicule?
  • Reply 60 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple/// View Post

When is "ENOUGH" enough??? I do not know that much about this patent but these patent lawsuits coming out of Eastern Texas are just insane. Somebody get Obama to see what is happening here in the patent lawsuit capital of the world.

But seriously this sounds like another dumb lawsuit. Double click, and double tap are not the same thing. Throw it out.

I'm guessing that's sarcasm. Obama... yea we'll have you pay for a company's patent soon policy is great! Loving it. You too can pay for innovation through government! In the mean time we'll make it so the people who work for a living will pay health care to those those who don't. ...and don't get me started on what we pay for those who are here illegally...