Happy New year

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Impressive display. It's one of the most entertaining ways to blow $5 million AUD.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Impressive display. It's one of the most entertaining ways to blow $5 million AUD.

One of the fastest ways too.

Especially if you consider that at least hundreds of cities, all around the globe, wasted that kind of money. That's BILLIONS literally blown away within a half hour.

Millions of hungry people could have been fed for years with that money. Now they die. Because we wanted to see pretty fireworks!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

One of the fastest ways too.

Especially if you consider that at least hundreds of cities, all around the globe, wasted that kind of money. That's BILLIONS literally blown away within a half hour.

Millions of hungry people could have been fed for years with that money. Now they die. Because we wanted to see pretty fireworks!

Or you could spend the $$$$ on wars in Afghanistan, Iraq and (as soon as a Republican is elected again as US President) Iran, to keep us all safe from teh evil Muslim.

Haha actually, I agree with you that such spending is wasteful, but I'd rather have the fireworks than the wars, personally.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

O

Not so fast!... those fireworks were PURCHASED. Someone (well, MANY someone's) supported and fed their families by manufacturing those fireworks... by exporting them, by importing them, by transporting them, etc.

So, while the displays can certainly be considered wasteful (as can the computer YOU are using), you really can't claim that it causes anyone to die of starvation. It is part of an industry where people work and use it to make a living.

How many people (and their families) would be affected if we shut down the global pyrotechnics industry because it is so "wasteful" ??
  • Reply 5 of 7
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

As entertaining as spending $10 million on an iAd?

It gets eyeballs on Sydney, tourism is a fairly important industry, which employs a lot of people.

Anyway I enjoyed it and my iPhone did a good job of capturing that, the bridge that they are being set off on, spans two miles to give you some idea of the scale.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I'd rather have the fireworks than the wars, personally.

At least combine them to reduce the costs. People would still be horrified by the scattered limbs in the aftermath of a bomb but the pretty colours of the sparkles would help lighten the mood.

Or even the other way round, where the bombers just line themselves along the bridge and time the explosions. Nobody else has to get hurt and people would see some value in what they do.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60

It gets eyeballs on Sydney, tourism is a fairly important industry, which employs a lot of people.

As well as being cheaper and more interesting than royalty. Give me fireworks over an old woman yakking away at the end of the year any time.

Of course we could combine them:

I'd watch that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60

my iPhone did a good job of capturing that

I'm still not that impressed by the camera quality on the iPhone. They need to sort out the noise in low-light as well as the image stabilisation. The back-illuminated sensor makes a big difference but in such an expensive phone, they can surely use better lenses and stabilisation. Better than most though and captures the moment when you need it to, which is what matters.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Awesome post, Marv.