Apple admits New Year's alarm bug

Comments

• Reply 61 of 135
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

My system is 4.2.1 and the alarms don't set. My wife's system is 3.1.3 and her alarms set just fine.

I might add that I just had major suegery and I'm on pain meds that are strictly monitored in delivery times. Needless to say, this screwed up my delivery times since it first happened at night. I'm OK, but it's taken some doing to get back "on the groove".

And no, I'm not going to sue Apple over this. Software has bugs. that's its nature. But I must say that the 4.x update has had more than its share of flaws and bugs. That's very unlike Apple in my experience, and I've owned Apple products since 1984.

I will say this again, if your meds are SO important, why are you relying on one alarm?

What happens if you just sleep through the alarm? The battery dies?
  • Reply 62 of 135
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    There's no basis whatsoever for any kind of lawsuit.

Bug fixed in a couple of days, all back to normal tomorrow. It's a minor issue. Deal with it. In a week you'll have forgotten about it.

This is nothing at all compared to the problems and frustrations users must deal with when using the also-rans' products (or rather, poor iPhone copies.)
  • Reply 63 of 135
    I do love my iPhone4 but I must say......

Apple products do not have bugs or glitches.

I am sure that the alarms not going off was designed intentionally for us to get more rest.

Thank You Mr Jobs
  • Reply 64 of 135
    There really does seem to be a lot of envy going on here. A flaw in the "perfect" Apple? Get out your keyboards, boys!
  • Reply 65 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mimsyswallows View Post

Is this the third time, or am I mis-remembering? What is so hard about doing the alarm app right?

I've written perpetual calendars, they aren't that hard. Calendar math is hardly calculus. I can't believe Apple got bitten AGAIN on the same issue.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me 3 times, shame on Apple."

• Reply 66 of 135
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Well grats on Apple for winning the fail award. I cant believe there is still an alarm bug. They had the same problem when we moved to standard time and its still not fixed?

50 billions in cash and yet you fail on an alarm clock app...
  • Reply 67 of 135
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

I might add that I just had major suegery and I'm on pain meds that are strictly monitored in delivery times. Needless to say, this screwed up my delivery times since it first happened at night. I'm OK, but it's taken some doing to get back "on the groove".

"Back in the day" before everyone had a computer, I never relied on just an electric clock .... even 'tho we hardly ever experienced a power failure .... If an event is important enough not to be missed .... you simply have to have a backup alarm .... to not do so is irresponsible on your part and to blame Apple, or anyone else, for your neglect is a sad reflection on the accountability of today's society .... but sadly .... that's where we're at. \
  • Reply 68 of 135
    Let's face it, an alarm clock that you cannot rely on is pretty useless. I was caught out by the daylight saving incident, and was prepared to give Apple the benefit of the doubt. The fact that the alarm has failed again makes it worthless.

Apple should pull the alarm functionality and leave it to paid or free third party alarm clock apps.
  • Reply 69 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

"Back in the day" before everyone had a computer, I never relied on just an electric clock .... even 'tho we hardly ever experienced a power failure .... If an event is important enough not to be missed .... you simply have to have a backup alarm .... to not do so is irresponsible on your part and to blame Apple, or anyone else, for your neglect is a sad reflection on the accountability of today's society .... but sadly .... that's where we're at. \

There are many occasions where a second alarm clock is not an option. My family was visiting my mother over the holidays and the spare bedroom had no alarm clock (clock for that matter).

This is one of thousands of situations where your arrogant Apple apologetic answer just is an epic fail.

This is a just an example of bad coding and poor QC on a critical application for many people.
  • Reply 70 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Pretty harsh, dude. I didn't blame Apple - quite the opposite. You might try reading what I posted with a little more thoroughness.

I will say that I'd been using the system for about two weeks with great success. I was literally able to set 2 hour alarms for a whole 24 hour period. It was a major convenience, especially since I also had other medications I had to take with different time spacings.

Just my bad luck that I was relying on this system just when the alarm problem surfaced.

(BTW, even a mechanical clock can screw up. In my sleep, I might have knocked it over and turned it off. And then there's the possibility that you can sleepily forget to reset it for the next time interval, or set it incorrectly.)
  • Reply 71 of 135
    tedktedk Posts: 16member
    It's disappointing to read these posts from people like Onhka and Wonder when they're throwing around words like stupid and moron in this sort of open, opinion-based forum. People are entitled to express themselves without being jumped on. If a poster is upset by an Apple bug, esp. a very basic and annoying one, then so be it. There's no need for childish name calling...
  • Reply 72 of 135
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

I do the same thing. Learned the hard way. This is still BS though because you can't always do dual alarm, like when traveling, nor should you be expected to do so at all. I hope they fix it properly, seems like such a basic app.

\

Really? There's no way to set a dual alarm when traveling?

Funny, but every hotel I've been to in the past 20 years has an alarm clock in the room. Not to mention wakeup calls.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

The coding is complicated, but it IS totally knowable in advance.

Sorry, but I don't take programming advice from someone who is so obviously clueless.

It's not possible to write bug-free software (at least for modern, real-life software).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Downplaying this issue at all is absurd.

An alarm clock that you believe works and does not could have fatal consequences if the situation were dire enough. .

Sorry, but if being woken at the right time could have fatal consequences, you shouldn't be relying simply on a single alarm.

As for the rest, no one is downplaying it. Apple has admitted that there's a bug and will fix it within a couple of days. What do you want them to do? Offer you Steve Jobs' liver on a silver platter?

Bugs happen. It would be nice if they didn't, but that's unrealistic. Apple is responding quickly and has promised a fix within 2 days after discovery. I don't know what else you want.
  • Reply 73 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

It's hardly the end of the world, get over it.

Too many 0's and 1's and no other number

Maybe the iBone thinks it's code or dog food and is like

Wiggggglllyyyyywoobbbblyyyywiggggglllllyyywobbbbbl yy

It's confusing it with computing code and freaking out

OMG!!! what will we do in December 2012 when the world supposed to

Enter the MAYAN CALANDER ON 12.11.2012

Prob just have to run a reset of the phone I guess
  • Reply 74 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Downplaying this issue at all is absurd.

An alarm clock that you believe works and does not could have fatal consequences if the situation were dire enough.

This is no where near such an extreme example but regardless...I set my alarm yesterday to wake myself and my child and his mother so they could feed. Not a serious situation at all, but he's still learning to breastfeed, so the schedule is, in my opinion, VERY IMPORTANT.

So anyone who says it's just an iPhone bug get over it....don't say that to my face.

feed?

It's a bug, get over it.
  • Reply 75 of 135
    gromitgromit Posts: 37member
    This is the second time my house has been broken into and all my possessions stolen. I may have to give up on my iBurglarAlam.app
  • Reply 76 of 135
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    test alarm went off in Australia, 03/01/2011 (01/03/2011)
  • Reply 77 of 135
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nitewing98 View Post

I've written perpetual calendars, they aren't that hard. Calendar math is hardly calculus. I can't believe Apple got bitten AGAIN on the same issue.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me 3 times, shame on Apple."

Well since you are so smart you figure out the problem. Keeping in mind that you must test it on every model of iOS device, running every possible version of iOS -- including jailbroken, unlocked and both with every possible method -- and all possible combinations of all apps -- legal and 'not'. Otherwise you cannot say with 100% certainty you fixed it.
  • Reply 78 of 135
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    One peculiar thing is that Apple's built in apps are not in the app store so they apparently cannot issue updates the way a regular third party app might in this situation. So do we wait for the next major OS update to fix the alarm clock?
  • Reply 79 of 135
    I don't think it is just 1.1.11 or something special about 2011 issue. Looks like the bug might have to do with Jan. 1 and Jan. 2 of every year. Why else would they fix it, since the dates have already passed, if it was for an absolute year. I hope they test it out for every year.

Like someone mentioned here, if it is an important event I also rely on dual alarms, even when I wasn't using iPhone. I do hope the fix is in the app and not the OS itself and don't have to wait for a big download to update my phone.
  • Reply 80 of 135
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Apple isn't fixing it because everyone is on holiday. By Jan. 3, it won't be needed. Wait 'till next Jan 1.

I use a standard alarm clock. Only thing that kills it is a power failure.