Apple admits New Year's alarm bug

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 135
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

LOL you inferred the startup and failure in your post not I...... you just don't like being called out for conflicting posts with conflicting statements. Not a problem...don't really care. Have a great new year! Why bring up Techstud? Do you miss him?

Here?s another example: ?This is pretty shameful as it?s a dumb for you to repeatedly not understand this. It?s not like you are a child.? See what I did there? I just said you failed. Children aren?t failures because they aren?t as knowledgable just as startups aren?t failures because they don?t have the resources. You are the failure? in that example, just as Apple is the failure in my original post.

I bring up TeckStud because you used his logic to come to the ass end of conclusion and then fail to admit it when you?re wrong.
  • Reply 122 of 135
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Here?s another example: ?This is pretty shameful as it?s a dumb for you to repeatedly not understand this. It?s not like you are a child.? See what I did there? I just said you failed. Children aren?t failures because they aren?t as knowledgable just as startups aren?t failures because they don?t have the resources. You are the failure? in that example, just as Apple is the failure in my original post.

I bring up TeckStud because you used his logic to come to the ass end of conclusion and then fail to admit it when you?re wrong.

Oh...I see...so failure to agree with you results in in harsh words from you...hmmmm sounds like a little insecutity on your part. Not going to get into name calling with you...not worth the frustration. You obviously have a overstated self worth view of yourself.....so enjoy your ego......and your fond memories of Techstud...I am sure he is smiling somewhere over your references to him. He must have made an impression on you. Adding you to my ignore list...Have a great New year........if you can fit your heard through the door....
  • Reply 123 of 135
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Have a great New year??

Why the false salutations? Do you not realize that repeatedly telling someone to have a great new year is passive aggressive? Stand down or man up.
  • Reply 124 of 135
    eulereuler Posts: 81member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

It might even have to do with the fact that these days were on the weekend as opposed to weekdays, which follow different rules for recurring alarms. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't some obscure bug in the "do alarm / don't alarm" logic involved with recurring/non-recurring, weekday/non-weekday, pathways which only gets tripped under very peculiar circumstances.

Some bugs, like Y2K, are not so much programming bugs as they are paradigm problems that result in fairly "sensible" bugs. By that, I mean you can make sense out of them by just observing the symptoms and understanding the principles involved. But some other bugs cannot be understood in this manner. Some bugs are just plain screw-ups by the programmer that result in strange manifestations. When you face one such bug, you can't just stand outside of the box and work your way to the explanation. You have to dive into the code. That may very well be the case here.

Thompson

This may very well be a Y2K-like bug. Perhaps the program is assuming that the alarm set is for the current year (when set) so if you set it on Dec 31, 2010 for Jan. 1, 2011, it was really getting set for Jan. 1, 2010. That would be consistent why if you set the alarm now (like some people are saying) then it works. This would also be why they are working on it still...to fix the problem for any other alarms still to come and this might be a problem next year if you set your alarm in 2011 for a date in 2012.

I know this is just a guess, but it seems consistent with the symptoms...
  • Reply 125 of 135
    j2nhj2nh Posts: 3member
    Just came from the Apple store where they were repairing my MacBook Pro. Seems more than a couple of employees overslept and were late for work this morning. Wonder if they'll get docked?

Reset my alarms and they seem to be working fine.
  • Reply 126 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Apple: not ready for the enterprise.

Developing and testing this stuff is harder than you might think. About ten years ago I ran into a problem on Windows NT where alarm times were off one hour - a serious problem in a call center where you are making calls in the morning to customer's homes. We woke up a lot of people an hour early until we discovered that Microsoft had not tested the code with positive offsets from GMT.

That bug cost some real money as customers switched to competitors as a result.

Would you say that Microsoft is not ready for the enterprise?
  • Reply 127 of 135
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by euler View Post

This may very well be a Y2K-like bug. Perhaps the program is assuming that the alarm set is for the current year (when set) so if you set it on Dec 31, 2010 for Jan. 1, 2011, it was really getting set for Jan. 1, 2010. That would be consistent why if you set the alarm now (like some people are saying) then it works. This would also be why they are working on it still...to fix the problem for any other alarms still to come and this might be a problem next year if you set your alarm in 2011 for a date in 2012.

I know this is just a guess, but it seems consistent with the symptoms...

That makes sense, I suppose, unless the reports of new alarms also failing today. Then again, did the (still) affected people set them prior to the new year, and then assume they would work because it's after January 3rd now?

Thompson
  • Reply 128 of 135
    Between the iPhone alarm and the Inception app I used to go to sleep I thought I might not wake up today or ever. Maybe I haven't woken up and I'm still in the dream.
  • Reply 129 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

What time zone are you in? Did you set your date and time to "automatically set"? Curious.

Yes, it's kind of embarrassing for Apple, unfortunately.

I'm at GMT-3 summer time. Yes, it is on "automagically".
  • Reply 130 of 135
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    Google just announced that their Android clock will also fail once all testing is complete. This new feature will be available sometime in the next 5 quarters.

And Research in Motion co-CEO Mike Lazaridis was quoted as saying "They have a clock on their phone? We're going to have one as well. Only ours will be better - in fact it will be an iPhone clock killer. I just don't think people want clocks on their phones, just like they don't want touchscreens."

When contacted, Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said "They have a phone with a clock that doesn't work? I have a patent on that. I'm going to sue their asses!"
  • Reply 131 of 135
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    OK so on the 4th early morning I reboot, reset etc etc and re-added alarms, it went off on the 4th and 5th morning as usual.

So it would appear it is back to normal, however I'm sure Apple has assembled a Clock Task Force to iron out this issues once and for all and prevent it from happening again.

iPhone4, the best smartphone, PDA and iPod I have had the pleasure of using, but it is definitely not perfect.
  • Reply 132 of 135
    BTW untethered jailbreak is out for 4.2.1 in beta testing stage... No Bluetooth and no Skype and is somewhat complicated to execute.
  • Reply 133 of 135
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    It's worth the notice numerous travel web sites got huge calendar-related problems on the 1st of January 2011... Which suggests all that may be due to some calendaring algorithm issues. Some clumsy Y2K problem fix, for one.
  • Reply 134 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

It's worth the notice numerous travel web sites got huge calendar-related problems on the 1st of January 2011... Which suggests all that may be due to some calendaring algorithm issues. Some clumsy Y2K problem fix, for one.

Weird... I hope we find out what the issue is/was.