Apple's iPhone maintains lead over Blackberry, Android in US

Comments

• Reply 41 of 107
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    It won't happen. Apple's biggest feature amongst developers is platform unity. Further, Apple and AT&T are decent partners. Apple will not update the features unless it does it across the board.

PS:

Verizon stinks worst then AT&T. Don't see why people are so excited about Verizon.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

If there is a Verizon phone in the near future it will be interesting to see if the feature set changes.

• Reply 42 of 107
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Once again, DED looks at a study and totally misinterprets the data.

I think you missed his point. As his graphs clearly show that Android OS is ahead of both iOS and BB OS in US marketshare. Where is the incorrect data?
    Then he states…
    Quote:

However, the report notes that, "when it comes to overall consumer market share, Android OS (25.8%) is still behind Apple iOS (28.6%).”

Apple's overall share of the smartphone market was up just over a percentage point across the last six months, while Android grew by nearly 11 percentage.

Is this misrepresented? I don’t see where any of this article is incorrect. I do see where you post has an incorrect statement, though...

Quote:

Android has surpased the iPhone in new sales.

You’re comparing the Android [OS] to the iPhone [HW], only one of these is actually for sale. Now if you stated “All Android-based devices have surpased the iPhone in new unit sales.” that would be accurate.
  • Reply 43 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

The number of people who even know what 'jail breaking' is or care about 'open vs. closed' ideological nonsense or could appreciate what on Earth it means to say iOS feel 'restrictive' or want to download a task killer is so tiny it's utterly insignificant to market share.

Actually a number of non-technical friends of mine has asked me to help them or give them instruction on doing just that. I don't think most people choose android over a philosophical disagreement over software development or distribution, but simply because some important task that they would like to do, or features that they would like having are not available on iOS devices or that of other mobile OSes, or are easier to accomplish on android OS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke

This is the problem with assessing the impact of Android. In the iPhone space the people talking about the iPhone online tend to like it for the same reasons that the masses buying it do: brand, user experience, etc. But the people who talk up Android do so for reasons that the masses buying Android couldn't even begin to comprehend: openness, customisation, an irrational hatred of all things Apple, and so on (most actual Android-phone buyers probably couldn't even tell you it's developed by Google). These aren't the reasons Android is selling in the numbers it is and they will never be a significant reason for its sales. Rather, it sells because it's available on a wide-range of carriers, because Verizon has been pushing it hard in fighting against AT&T and the iPhone and because Microsoft's fumbling with Windows Phone 7 caused the handset manufacturers to start pushing Android devices. All this is going to change in 2011.

No one is talking about hating Apple or that iOS is philosophically wrong, or at least I have not mentioned anything about it. I actually think Apple in many ways are making very smart business decisions in moving to cover important segments of the market that others are ignoring at the moment. There is no debate here about OSS or closed source, open or closed platform, so please stay on topic.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke

I don't buy your assertion that iOS is for old people. It's vastly overrepresented among young people. Moreover, the iPhone is a much more flexible device because of the availability of such a wide variety of 3rd party apps. Most people couldn't care less about changing existing aspects of the phone, especially when they already work well.

I never said that, again please stay with the actual topic of the conversation, and reply to the things that I actually have said. What I said is that iOS is particularly suited to people who have little prior experience with computers or mobile devices. The largest portion of this group happened to contain people who grew up before the personal computer revolution lead by Apple and IBM in the 1980s, which I think anyone would agree with.

Again, what I said was not that Apple has the least potential market share to gain because its likely customers are older. In the world of mobile devices, it's actually the opposite, the largest untapped market is actually the older generations who have yet to come to know some aspects of technology. This is the area where Apple has been doing a great job. And that is my personal experience as well, time and time again in the past several years.
  • Reply 44 of 107
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStud View Post

I don't get ti why these chaps hate DED so much.

They are the same kind that will profess to be all for freedom of speech...

Until someone proffers speech that disagrees with their dogma
  • Reply 45 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

those of us who used to be fans

Your not a fan but still here? Sounds more like masochism...
  • Reply 46 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Forget DED... when they let me on here I knew AI was on the way down...

Haha!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Android is going to surpass the iPhone in any numbers contest soon.

For raw "sales" numbers then, yes - that's kind of obvious - it's free! As for revenue for Google, it's partners and programmers of Android apps they don't stand a chance against Apple. Especially for independent developers. There hasn't been one developer on Android claiming the same kinds of successes in application development and profit as iOS developers, and I don't see that changing any time soon since the differences are pretty fundamental to the basics of each platform.

Anyone can manufacture "sales" by giving something away. Whether or not that has value is a whole other question.
  • Reply 47 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This comment makes no sense. L. Ron Hubbard wasn't any more prolific writer than most other writers of his day. More importantly, he sucked kind of badly and almost all of his works are virtually unknown except for the Dianetics junk.

Uh, no - Hubbard was a pretty decent Sci Fi writer and pretty well regarded as such by fans of Sci Fi. Aside from being a little long at times (certainly not something restricted ot Hubbard) Battlefield Earth is a classic and a really good novel. His bibliography is pretty impressive, and had it not been for his money grubbing through Scientology his reputation would probably be pretty darn good.

Quote:

Philip K. Dick on the other hand, (another technically insane "sci-fi" writer from the same period), was not very prolific at all, yet he has five books (at least), that any science fiction reader of any note has probably read or seen the movie version of.

Dick was pretty darn prolific - many of his "short stories" are better than most novel's today. A truly underrated master. And Do androids dream of electric sheep is better than the movie Bladrunner. That doesn't detract from Bladrunner in the least - it's one of the best hard sci-fi movies of all time. But it does demonstrate just how much better the novel is!

Heinlein is still my favorite. The moon is a harsh mistress should be required reading for any political hack (and especially for wannabe political hacks).
  • Reply 48 of 107
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    Profit is what counts, nothing more. People change phones every second, so all these statistics are somehow meaningless.

WHICH company makes more money from smartphones? Until that is disclosed, everything else is pure nonsense.
  • Reply 49 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStud View Post

I think the first 10 post are from DED haters, that did not even bother reading the article, they just spill their vitriol. I don't get ti why these chaps hate DED so much.

$20 when Android without a shadow of a doubt passes iOS (more like already passed) DED will make an article about it, focus 5% on it, then spend the rest of the article shitting on the app store, security and quality of said store, lack of "immersive" advertising, fragmentation, rehash the Oracle lawsuite, etc.
  • Reply 50 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HardBall View Post

For me, I think Android has had a superior user experience, especially in the areas where using an iPhone would feel restrictive;

And what would that be, specifically?

Quote:

and many people around my age or younger feel the same.

Based on what? I scincerly doubt it has anything to do with age and more to do with the fact that you hang out with or primarily interact with technically-oriented people. A minority, BTW.

Quote:

Either that or some would try to jailbreak.

So if to get the most out of either Android or the iOS you have to jailbreak - what's the advantage of Android again?

Quote:

Android interface is slightly more complicated than iOS, but I don't think anyone with some reasonable amount of computer experience wouldn't pick up in 5 min (basically the majority of the people born after 1970).

And this right here is why Android will not gain any real traction in actually being used as and generating revenue equivalent with other smartphone platforms.

I'm a pretty technical guy, but even I don't want to put up with Androids complexities and instead enjoy the "it just works" nature of the iOS.

Quote:

I know my mom and my grandpa would both disagree with me

This meme that only the ignorant or old don't like Android is pretty shallow, self-serving and thick-headed.

It's also going to continue to give the Apple haters fits as they remain puzzled as to Apple's continued success in the face of obvious benefits such as "free" and "open"

Quote:

I don't think there is one single model that is going to prevail over the bulk of the market.

I do. Apple with the iOS. No one else focuses on the total end user experience as much as Apple does. I have no doubt that more overall units will ship with Android, but Android won't generate anywhere near the usage or revenue for the Android ecosystem as Apple will generate with the iOS.

And I don't think Apple is interested in dominating yet - especially not in the US or Europe where government regulation and interference over "monopolies" would be a significant distraction and limiter on innovation. Apple is in the mode of establishing their platform - and overall market share is not part of that equation just yet. They set their goal at 10% (which many ridiculed them for setting it so "high") and they have easily beat that. I think Apple is exactly where they want to be for sales at the moment, and due to the overall quality of their experience they will have no problem winning people over later. Android, with it's low adoption of paid applications and reliance on free applications generating revenues for Android developers means that Android users have very little sunk platform costs to encourage platform loyalty.

That will be an interesting dynamic to watch play out over time indeed.
  • Reply 51 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Any numbers contest except number of satisfied customers, profits, number of apps (especially # of QUALITY apps)... you know, things that actually matter. Marketshare is great, but if you aren't making any money, it's kind of pointless (see: Dell)

Dell made $822 million net income this past quarter. So?
  • Reply 52 of 107
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Some old people spent decades inventing all the shit young people imagine only they understand. When the old people get home from work, they don't want to beat their heads against walls on their personal devices, so they prefer Apple's stuff.
  • Reply 53 of 107
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 54 of 107
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    You have so many different ways to look at things. The Android camp will say so many things.

Of course RIMM will never admit that they are loosing ground.

Nokia will say that Apple only appears to be gaining ground on them because they stole all their good ideas.

Microsoft (Balmer) will only admit that they 'perhaps' made a little mistake. But make no mistake, They are the King of the Hill.

Dell and HP will always want others to know that Apple is a 10th their size.

Samsung, HTC, will tell anyone that wants to listen that THEY are the new kids on the Block.

Motorola will scream, and wonder if anybody is listening.

The 'Analysts', will say things that they profess to be sacred.

Wall Street and their speculation, will say so many things. But in reality, it is only how they can benefit from their prognostication.

And all those insiders, might every now and then, spill the beans on what is being built in China.

But me and many others will appreciate what Daniel Eran Dilger tries to do.

I have been an avid reader of he's writings for only a couple of years. And there is NO ONE out there that tells it as close as it really is than him.

Of course he might have his own agenda. But who doesn't. Of course, he might have his own point of view. But nobody seems to read Apple quite like him. Or even know the complete history as well as he does.

Even if he is correct only 50% of the times, he is still doing better than most all. He does go out on a limb occasionally. But when you are explaining all things Apple, (a company more secretive than any other in history) I would say he has a pretty good track record.

I would like to say that I truly appreciate he's very in depth reporting of things.
  • Reply 55 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

And what would that be, specifically?

Many of them for me to mention, but I will stick to a few that I can't live without. Just the most important to me personally:
    • video chat over cellular network.

• installing non appstore/android_market sanctioned apps.

• better notification system (this is somewhat subjective, so I don't expect everyone to agree)

• greater ability to use desktop widgets for one glance information.

• ability to increase storage by switching sd card.

Quote:

Based on what? I scincerly doubt it has anything to do with age and more to do with the fact that you hang out with or primarily interact with technically-oriented people. A minority, BTW.

Well, your assessment is base on your assumption that I hang out primarily with technophiles, which is completely incorrect. And there is no way that you could have known in the first place, since you don't know me. Most of my friends are in fact art, music, and dance majors, me being a long time dancer since I was young. I do have a degree in CS as it is wise for practical reasons. Me being mostly friends with non-technical people and having an IT background is the reason that why many people usually find me first when they need help with something.

Quote:

So if to get the most out of either Android or the iOS you have to jailbreak - what's the advantage of Android again?

What! It seems that you have never used an android device before. I don't think this warrants any further answer.

Quote:

And this right here is why Android will not gain any real traction in actually being used as and generating revenue equivalent with other smartphone platforms.

I'm a pretty technical guy, but even I don't want to put up with Androids complexities and instead enjoy the "it just works" nature of the iOS.

There isn't really much complexities to speak about, at least when you compare it to any desktop OS, or even something like BB and WinMo5/6 (which I used before 2007, talk about comlexity). I guess if the only thing you have ever used is iOS, then Android is marginally more complex. All the built-in functions and system settings are very easily accessed, and most do not need to be by vast majority with any type of frequency. iOS does have somewhat more consistent UI in terms of apps, but not in any significant degree where it would trouble the user.

Quote:

This meme that only the ignorant or old don't like Android is pretty shallow, self-serving and thick-headed.

It's also going to continue to give the Apple haters fits as they remain puzzled as to Apple's continued success in the face of obvious benefits such as "free" and "open"

I don't have an iphone, but I do own an iPod touch (latest 4g currently), so I don't know

where these "apple haters" come from. I guess the only arguments that you are capable of marshalling is that "anyone who doesn't agree with me must be an apple hater!" or "whoever is not with us must be against us"?

Quote:

I do. Apple with the iOS. No one else focuses on the total end user experience as much as Apple does. I have no doubt that more overall units will ship with Android, but Android won't generate anywhere near the usage or revenue for the Android ecosystem as Apple will generate with the iOS.

See what I mean earlier?

Quote:

think Apple is interested in dominating yet - especially not in the US or Europe where government regulation and interference over "monopolies" would be a significant distraction and limiter on innovation. Apple is in the mode of establishing their platform - and overall market share is not part of that equation just yet. They set their goal at 10% (which many ridiculed them for setting it so "high") and they have easily beat that. I think Apple is exactly where they want to be for sales at the moment, and due to the overall quality of their experience they will have no problem winning people over later. Android, with it's low adoption of paid applications and reliance on free applications generating revenues for Android developers means that Android users have very little sunk platform costs to encourage platform loyalty.

That will be an interesting dynamic to watch play out over time indeed.

As usual, I respect your predictions, as with anyone else.
  • Reply 56 of 107
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Many of them for me to mention, but I will stick to a few that I can't live without. Just the most important to me personally:
    • video chat over cellular network.

• installing non appstore/android_market sanctioned apps.

• better notification system (this is somewhat subjective, so I don't expect everyone to agree)

• greater ability to use desktop widgets for one glance information.

• ability to increase storage by switching sd card.

Good list, but with exception with the SD card all that can be done with a jailbroken iPhone, some thing that is made far too simple.
  • Reply 57 of 107
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Brilliant post! Bang on.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by juandl View Post

You have so many different ways to look at things. The Android camp will say so many things.

Of course RIMM will never admit that they are loosing ground.

Nokia will say that Apple only appears to be gaining ground on them because they stole all their good ideas.

Microsoft (Balmer) will only admit that they 'perhaps' made a little mistake. But make no mistake, They are the King of the Hill.

Dell and HP will always want others to know that Apple is a 10th their size.

Samsung, HTC, will tell anyone that wants to listen that THEY are the new kids on the Block.

Motorola will scream, and wonder if anybody is listening.

The 'Analysts', will say things that they profess to be sacred.

Wall Street and their speculation, will say so many things. But in reality, it is only how they can benefit from their prognostication.

And all those insiders, might every now and then, spill the beans on what is being built in China.

But me and many others will appreciate what Daniel Eran Dilger tries to do.

I have been an avid reader of he's writings for only a couple of years. And there is NO ONE out there that tells it as close as it really is than him.

Of course he might have his own agenda. But who doesn't. Of course, he might have his own point of view. But nobody seems to read Apple quite like him. Or even know the complete history as well as he does.

Even if he is correct only 50% of the times, he is still doing better than most all. He does go out on a limb occasionally. But when you are explaining all things Apple, (a company more secretive than any other in history) I would say he has a pretty good track record.

I would like to say that I truly appreciate he's very in depth reporting of things.

• Reply 58 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Good list, but with exception with the SD card all that can be done with a jailbroken iPhone, some thing that is made far too simple.

I agree, but jailbreaking an iPhone would negate some of the advantage that iOS ecosystem provides; and it's usually not in my personality to jailbreak anything of my own. As I have owned a number of apple devices in the past, I have never really done anything unsactioned (although for Linux systems that I run, I have no problem modifying anything to my liking, since that's what OSS systems are designed to do).

It's basically a choice between having an ecosystem with more uniformity and integrity on one hand, and having extra features and functionalities on the other. Can't really fault the manufacturer of choosing one strategy over the other.
  • Reply 59 of 107
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    There's something I don't quite understand in these statistics, I wonder if anyone can help me out. I haven't followed the numbers for too long, but it occurred to me that the overall consumer market share is a cumulative result of the recent purchases over the past few years. That makes me wonder if at any given point iOS's market share was above 28.6%. If not, then I really don't understand how the overall share can be at 28.6%. Any ideas?
  • Reply 60 of 107
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

I never said that, again please stay with the actual topic of the conversation, and reply to the things that I actually have said. What I said is that iOS is particularly suited to people who have little prior experience with computers or mobile devices. The largest portion of this group happened to contain people who grew up before the personal computer revolution lead by Apple and IBM in the 1980s, which I think anyone would agree with.

Again, what I said was not that Apple has the least potential market share to gain because its likely customers are older.

"In looking at demographics of users, AdMob's survey found that iPhone, iPod touch, and webOS user bases are all in the range of 54-58% male, while Android skews much more strongly to 73% male. iPod touch users are also typically much younger than the smartphone users, with 78% of iPod touch users being below the age of 25 while only 24-25% of iPhone, Android, and webOS users are similarly below age 25. The data corresponds with previous comments made by mobile analytics firm Flurry regarding Apple's positioning of the iPod touch as building a base of future iPhone customers."

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/02/25/...d-touch-users/

Too bad it appears that the reality (as measured in Feb of last year) differs from your bald assertions based entirely on anecdotal evidence.

Personally, I mildly dislike the Android platform after building a couple apps for it. I vastly prefer the iOS user experience and likely would prefer the WP7 dev experience.