Apple's iPhone maintains lead over Blackberry, Android in US

Comments

• Reply 61 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

"In looking at demographics of users, AdMob's survey found that iPhone, iPod touch, and webOS user bases are all in the range of 54-58% male, while Android skews much more strongly to 73% male. iPod touch users are also typically much younger than the smartphone users, with 78% of iPod touch users being below the age of 25 while only 24-25% of iPhone, Android, and webOS users are similarly below age 25. The data corresponds with previous comments made by mobile analytics firm Flurry regarding Apple's positioning of the iPod touch as building a base of future iPhone customers."

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/02/25/...d-touch-users/

Too bad it appears that the reality (as measured in Feb of last year) differs from your bald assertions based entirely on anecdotal evidence.

That has to do with two different categories of devices, one is an PMP while the other is a phone connected to a cellular network (I happen to own both, and would never confuse the usage for either). And their sales statistics, which again cannot be compared directly or fairly. Here you are making a similar mistake as in the article, which I pointed out earlier. Not many people in HS would be able to afford a $70 individual smartphone voice+data plan, and not many more in college. And when they do have some type of smartphone, many are likely to be under their parents' plan than a standalone individual plan.

Quote:

Personally, I mildly dislike the Android platform after building a couple apps for it. I vastly prefer the iOS user experience and likely would prefer the WP7 dev experience.

I have developed briefly for all of them, except WP7, and the experience universally has much room for improvment (for very different reasons each). I deal mostly with hardware design and AI anyway, so end-user applications is not my normal work, so I probably can't appreciate all of the reasonings that you might have.
  • Reply 62 of 107
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HardBall View Post

Many of them for me to mention, but I will stick to a few that I can't live without. Just the most important to me personally:
    • video chat over cellular network.

• installing non appstore/android_market sanctioned apps.

• better notification system (this is somewhat subjective, so I don't expect everyone to agree)

• greater ability to use desktop widgets for one glance information.

• ability to increase storage by switching sd card.

Except for FaceTime, you can video chat over 3G using many third party apps including Skype. Interestingly Skype calls on Android only works over WiFi!
  • Reply 63 of 107
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Many of them for me to mention, but I will stick to a few that I can't live without. Just the most important to me personally:

* video chat over cellular network.

Available via Skype. However:

"The guys at 9 to 5 Mac ran a quick experiment, and found that video calls over 3G eat up roughly 3.4 MB of data per minute, something to keep in mind with AT&T's new capped data plans."

Quote:

* installing non appstore/android_market sanctioned apps.

* better notification system (this is somewhat subjective, so I don't expect everyone to agree)

Meh.

Quote:

greater ability to use desktop widgets for one glance information.

This is nice to have.

Quote:

ability to increase storage by switching sd card.

This is sorta nice for increasing the lifespan of the device. My 16GB 3G is a tad small now but the only time I maxed it out was loading a bunch of videos for 2 days worth of flights. I think I got about 30 hours of video on it. Had to delete everything else which was mildly annoying. This is possibly the only time in the last few years that I would have used an external SD card for anything.

As a digital packrat I'd need a huge number of SD cards to hold everything so I have to downselect anyway. I can't just toss ALL of my photos, music and movies on to any reasonably sized device. Currently 32GB on my iPhone 4 seems enough for a day to day device.
  • Reply 64 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Except for FaceTime, you can video chat over 3G using many third party apps including Skype. Interestingly Skype calls on Android only works over WiFi!

I do use facetime, that one of the reasons why I found my iPod touch 4g very useful. Since most of the older members of my family run iOS, I can easily converse with them. I have not seen any cellular video chat on iphone working (with anyone in my family or my friends), but then again, I have not looked into that in recent couple of months (there was some kind of announcement on Skype, wonder if they've figured out a way around blocks, have to look into that).
  • Reply 65 of 107
    Quote:

That has to do with two different categories of devices, one is an PMP while the other is a phone connected to a cellular network (I happen to own both, and would never confuse the usage for either).

Try reading the quote vs skimming it. Here, let me try again:

"while only 24-25% of iPhone, Android, and webOS users are similarly below age 25"

Therefore your age demographic assertion is not supported by the data available unless you have a more recent data source.

The iPod stuff was highlighted to show that Apple is positioning well for future iPhone users.

Quote:

And their sales statistics, which again cannot be compared directly or fairly. Here you are making a similar mistake as in the article, which I pointed out earlier. Not many people in HS would be able to afford a $70 individual smartphone voice+data plan, and not many more in college. And when they do have some type of smartphone, many are likely to be under their parents' plan than a standalone individual plan.

This assertion does not help your case at all and actually is supported by the observed demographic breakdown (only 25% of smartphone users are below 25...presumably because they are broke and only so many parents are paying for the data plan).

Quote:

I have developed briefly for all of them, except WP7, and the experience universally has much room for improvment (for very different reasons each). I deal mostly with hardware design and AI anyway, so end-user applications is not my normal work, so I probably can't appreciate all of the reasonings that you might have.

I find that designing a decent looking UI is more of a pain on Android than iOS. I don't actually expect WP7 to be better in that regard (except that I wouldn't have to deal with Blur or Sense) but I do prefer VS over Eclipse and the MS SDKs over Google ones.
  • Reply 66 of 107
    Quote:

Partially true. Skype mobile has 3G support for phones over Verizon. Why only verizon? Who knows. Oddly enough, it is available for the N900 without restrictions.

Quote:

For U.S. customers, Skype for Android only works over WiFi. To use Skype on an Android phone over a 3G connection, you must be a Verizon Wireless customer and use Skype mobile™.

Link Look at Bottom of page

And as long as you can sideload apps, the restriction is moot any how.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/07/s...ked-into-real/
  • Reply 67 of 107
    Quote:

I do use facetime, that one of the reasons why I found my iPod touch 4g very useful. Since most of the older members of my family run iOS, I can easily converse with them. I have not seen any cellular video chat on iphone working (with anyone in my family or my friends), but then again, I have not looked into that in recent couple of months (there was some kind of announcement on Skype, wonder if they've figured out a way around blocks, have to look into that).

There are no blocks. The first video chat over 3G for the iPhone/iPod came few weeks after the iPhone 4 release (I believe it was Tango Video Calls). The problem with video over 3G is quality. My brother uses his iPod touch with his MiFi (over 3G) and the video quality is not consistent. I get many dropped connections with him. The quality gets even worst when he is in a moving car. Apple is probably working on optimizing FT for 3G.
  • Reply 68 of 107
    Quote:

Available via Skype. However:

"The guys at 9 to 5 Mac ran a quick experiment, and found that video calls over 3G eat up roughly 3.4 MB of data per minute, something to keep in mind with AT&T's new capped data plans."

Meh.

This is nice to have.

I'm sure each feature is important to a certain segment of users, and none of them to everyone.

Quote:

This is sorta nice for increasing the lifespan of the device. My 16GB 3G is a tad small now but the only time I maxed it out was loading a bunch of videos for 2 days worth of flights. I think I got about 30 hours of video on it. Had to delete everything else which was mildly annoying. This is possibly the only time in the last few years that I would have used an external SD card for anything.

As a digital packrat I'd need a huge number of SD cards to hold everything so I have to downselect anyway. I can't just toss ALL of my photos, music and movies on to any reasonably sized device. Currently 32GB on my iPhone 4 seems enough for a day to day device.

I'm much the same way, the most often used amount of video and music that I store comes to about 12-15GB, just into the area where a 16GB device might run into trouble. My next device (12-18 months from now) probably would need to recognize sdxc in order for it to have longevity. My total library is much larger, and would not live on anything that's less than 400GB, but there's no hope of getting that on any type of handheld anytime soon.
  • Reply 69 of 107
    Quote:

There are no blocks. The first video chat over 3G for the iPhone/iPod came few weeks after the iPhone 4 release (I believe it was Tango Video Calls). The problem with video over 3G is quality. My brother uses his iPod touch with his MiFi (over 3G) and the video quality is not consistent. I get many dropped connections with him. The quality gets even worst when he is in a moving car. Apple is probably working on optimizing FT for 3G.

Perhaps, I have to borrow one from someone to try that again sometime. I guess ATT recently has loosened up on their restrictions on apps? I know my mom tried Tango, couldn't get it to work; but that could just be she couldn't figure out. My current device is 4g, so vid call qualities are usually excellent if I'm in the range to the right towers, still serviceable in other places.
  • Reply 70 of 107
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStud View Post

I think the first 10 post are from DED haters, that did not even bother reading the article, they just spill their vitriol. I don't get ti why these chaps hate DED so much.

If this is your answer I would say you don't actually read his articles at all. They are generally full of errors and very one sided, you don't actually have to read them to understand what he is saying, because he only ever says one thing.
  • Reply 71 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Partially true. Skype mobile has 3G support for phones over Verizon. Why only verizon? Who knows. Oddly enough, it is available for the N900 without restrictions.

Link Look at Bottom of page

And as long as you can sideload apps, the restriction is moot any how.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/07/s...ked-into-real/

True. But note that even on Verizon, Skype is not using 3G data. Instead the calls are routed through Verizon voice network. There are some restrictions as well.

PS. You can jailbreak the iPhone and do almost everything an Android can do. We are taking about stock phones.
  • Reply 72 of 107
    Quote:

Try reading the quote vs skimming it. Here, let me try again:

"while only 24-25% of iPhone, Android, and webOS users are similarly below age 25"

Therefore your age demographic assertion is not supported by the data available unless you have a more recent data source.

Quote:

The iPod stuff was highlighted to show that Apple is positioning well for future iPhone users.

This assertion does not help your case at all and actually is supported by the observed demographic breakdown (only 25% of smartphone users are below 25...presumably because they are broke and only so many parents are paying for the data plan).

You have completely misread the data, and continue to do so.
    • The data quoted by macrumours from admob is the statistics of one category of devices vs a single device of another category, which is a completely invalid statistical method to compare anything, let alone drawing any conclusions from.

• When someone's parents are paying for data plan, or if they are on one family plan, that means the individual who actually makes use of the plan may not register on the plan of the service provider at all, so these age statistics (even among smart phone alone) are highly suspect, when you are talking about 22 or younger demographic.

• Even if we say given that company A has a much younger demographic than company B's devices, you have to keep in mind that growth in these types of markets (IT in general), are measured in months and quarters; while the types of effects you are referring to (younger generation growing up, having higher income to purchase the products/plans) move on the timescale of decades. In terms of the types of mobile devices that we are discussing here, the effect of that is nearly zero on the timescale that the industry thinks. It's much more valuable to have target untapped part of the market (which in this case what Apple is doing, targeting non-technical older users with iPhones).

Quote:

I find that designing a decent looking UI is more of a pain on Android than iOS. I don't actually expect WP7 to be better in that regard (except that I wouldn't have to deal with Blur or Sense) but I do prefer VS over Eclipse and the MS SDKs over Google ones.

That is always very subjective, as with any HCI subject, so I have no quarrels here. I do find iOS having a more pleasing looking and behaving UI, but android is not far behind (just slightly more chaotic). I especially like the camera app in iOS 4.1/4.2, super easy to use and great integration.
  • Reply 73 of 107
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Larry Magid (tech guru for CBS news, etc) said today he was not looking forward to CES next week for a couple of reasons - he said there will be hundeds of new products that will not be there next year, ie there are way too many devices coming out with no reason d'etre. He said he is getting quite weary of being inundated with me-too products.

He also said he thought we need no further new Android phones every TWO weeks, no less, and applauded Apple for being somewhat less frequent.

That is quite common in sales wisdom to get TOO MANY choices, and thus, the consumer makes no choice at all. I think this goes double or more when it comes to tech goodies.

Of course Steve knows this all too well, and makes the obvious choice much more so.
  • Reply 74 of 107
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

If this is your answer I would say you don't actually read his articles at all. They are generally full of errors and very one sided, you don't actually have to read them to understand what he is saying, because he only ever says one thing.

If...
  • Reply 75 of 107
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    It is inevitable that android will have more phones and activations that apple. They have more devices and cheaper price points. However, apple still has the upside because its users are using the latest OS at all times (even on $99 3GS) and developers can easily deploy their apps designed for high end devices to lower end ones as well.

Android on the other hand has variety of versions and hardware on its ecosystem. A generation behind android is often not able to run the current version of the OS, and developers have to code differently for different hardware.
  • Reply 76 of 107
    Quote:

True. But note that even on Verizon, Skype is not using 3G data. Instead the calls are routed through Verizon voice network. There are some restrictions as well.

PS. You can jailbreak the iPhone and do almost everything an Android can do. We are taking about stock phones.

That's the old version. The wifi version came out in October, and hacked to remove the 3G verizon restriction period.

The problem with the iphone is that to actually get one, I still need Att and will have to pay them for a data plan. With a real unlocked phone, I don't have to. Jailbreaking for me isn't really the problem.
  • Reply 77 of 107
    Quote:

You have completely misread the data, and continue to do so.

No, you just don't like data that doesn't agree with you.

Here's a another source of the same data.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/02/...-users-differ/

Quote:

[*]The data quoted by macrumours from admob is the statistics of one category of devices vs a single device of another category, which is a completely invalid statistical method to compare anything, let alone drawing any conclusions from.

Incorrect. The data gathered is for each phone platform AND the iPod touch. Demographic comparisons between the iPhone and Android are completely valid.

Quote:

[*]When someone's parents are paying for data plan, or if they are on one family plan, that means the individual who actually makes use of the plan may not register on the plan of the service provider at all, so these age statistics (even among smart phone alone) are highly suspect, when you are talking about 22 or younger demographic.

"Those are a few of differences that emerged from a opt-in survey of 963 smartphone and iPod touch owners conducted in February by AdMob, the mobile advertising company that Google snapped up in November for $750 million."

You can claim that opt-in surveys have significant self-selection bias if you like.

Quote:

Even if we say given that company A has a much younger demographic than company B's devices, you have to keep in mind that growth in these types of markets (IT in general), are measured in months and quarters; while the types of effects you are referring to (younger generation growing up, having higher income to purchase the products/plans) move on the timescale of decades.

The point is that you keep asserting that iPhones are for old people while young folks prefer Android phones. A point which you have ZERO data to provide as support.

Here are some other numbers:

"Android users tend to be slightly younger than their iPhone peers- 55% of Android users are under the age of 34 ? while just 47% of iPhone users fall within the same demographic."

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...ne-vs-android/

8% is significant but not a dominant factor. Slight is the word I would have chosen as well.

The time between a younger generation growing up from 17 year olds to earning money demographic is 5-6 years after which they graduate from college. This is not decades.

Quote:

In terms of the types of mobile devices that we are discussing here, the effect of that is nearly zero on the timescale that the industry thinks. It's much more valuable to have target untapped part of the market (which in this case what Apple is doing, targeting non-technical older users with iPhones).

Tapping into both ends of the demographic is superior to just one end. Given the product cycle is 1 year and the average contract is 2 years I'd say you vastly overestimate the timescale.

The iPod Touch is certainly a potent gateway to attract future iPhone users.
  • Reply 78 of 107
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think you missed his point. As his graphs clearly show that Android OS is ahead of both iOS and BB OS in US marketshare. Where is the incorrect data? etc..

Yes indeed. It's all in the graphs for the reader to see. The whiners are neither specific nor compelling so I can't see where the bile is coming from. Possibly it's a couple of Roughly Drafted commenters who got themselves another arsehole cut by Dan in the RD blog.

And does it really matter? Some people take themselves way too seriously.

New Year's cheers
  • Reply 79 of 107
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Dell made $822 million net income this past quarter. So?

And the only division in their entire company that made any money was the enterprise division. Corporations buy from the lowest bidder, not the best. But I digress. Back on topic.
  • Reply 80 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

And the only division in their entire company that made any money was the enterprise division. Corporations buy from the lowest bidder, not the best. But I digress. Back on topic.

Enterprise, small business, and public, all where the money is at for everyone else. Apple as DED pointed out doesn't seem to care about the enterprise, probably because they don't understand it like they do their core audience, as if the enterprise needs flashy 27" all in one laptops posing as desktops for their clients.