Piper: Apple not expected to enter new product categories in 2011

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

They came out in the '80's. No one bought them.

Yeah, thanks to that terrible movie with Warren Beatty.
  • Reply 62 of 66
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    Apple's next big push will be around AirPlay and Apple TV. Just think of the current implementations of these products as the sandbox, the play area where we the public get to see just a glimpse of the real potential of these things. The real, full use is yet to come. Apple is doing a dozen different things right now that will all culminate in the next big thing.

Yes, I'm still 100% sure Apple will introduce a television. It makes financial sense, it makes strategic sense... and they have to do it. Otherwise they will surrender the living room to Google and Google will use that as a wedge to split apart the Apple ecosystem.

And please don't try and tell me that the TV market is too mature, or that margins are too low, yada yada. Apple has smashed through such barriers many times before.
  • Reply 63 of 66
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yeah, thanks to that terrible movie with Warren Beatty.

I think that almost every movie with him is terrible.
  • Reply 64 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

What else can Apple get into? I already have too many devices (although I love each and every one of them!!). Between portable media players, phones, tablets, computers, and a TV set-top box, I don't really know what else Apple needs or wants to get into as a consumer electronics company.

With Apple's war chest, what can't they get into? How about domestic robots? Holographic displays? Effective and affordable VR?
  • Reply 65 of 66
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Markets Apple could enter, but probably wont:
    1. Dedicated game consoles

2. Blu-ray players

3. TVs

4. Camcorders

5. Printers

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

6. Remote control

That is one I want them to enter. 3rd-party offerings are poor and expensive.

1 Possibly but doubt they will.

2-5 Commodity products, tight profit margins, so NO.

6 Tight margins here too. If Apple just makes them work, they could charge a premium on them. I too would enjoy an Apple 'it just works' remote.
  • Reply 66 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I think that almost every movie with him is terrible.

I think Eva Marie Saint taught Henry how to act in the 1962 movie "All Fall Down".