Apple updates iMovie, Garageband ahead of Mac App Store launch

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday updated Garageband and iMovie '11 for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard users to improve stability and compatibility in advance of Thursday's launch of the Mac App Store.

Garageband

GarageBand 6.0.1, a 47.5MB download, requires Mac OS X 10.6.3 or later and is recommended for all GarageBand '11 users.

The update fixes an issue related to undoing Flex Time edits. It also removes occasional latency that can occur on guitar tracks. Apple has also restored the ability to use the Quantize Note Timing menu for tracks with Groove matching.

iMovie

iMovie 9.0.1 is a 27.52MB download and also requires Mac OS X 10.6.3 or later. The update is recommended for all users of iMovie 9.0.

The update addresses an issue where stabilization would not be applied correctly to some video clips from the iPhone and iPod touch. Apple has also fixed an issue preventing the use of valid Facebook passwords containing non-alphanumeric characters.

Compatibility with cameras that create content in multiple formats has been improved, as well as performance when scrolling the Project Library.

iLife '11

Apple unveiled iLife '11 in October at the "Back to the Mac" special event. The updated suite of "Digital Life" applications included new full screen modes in iPhoto '11; audio editing, one step effects, and easy movie trailers for iMovie '11 and new Flex Time and Groove Matching features for Garageband '11.

iPhoto '11 has received several updates since its initial release. After users reported a data loss problem when upgrading their iPhoto libraries, Apple quickly released iPhoto 9.0.1.

The following week, Apple issued version 9.1 of iPhoto '11, re-adding support for calendar creation, offering additional letterpress holiday greeting card themes and addressing a bug with videos downloaded from MobileMe or Flickr. iPhoto 9.1.1 came in late December, adding new email options, improving reliability for an iPhoto library upgrade, and correcting several minor bugs.

Mac App Store

The iMovie and Garageband updates come only a couple days before the Jan. 6 opening of the Mac App Store. Apple's initial presentation of the Mac App Store suggested that the Mac maker's iLife apps will be available for sale separately for $14.99 each.

In November, AppleInsider reported that Apple plans to release its iWork '11 productivity suite alongside the launch of the Mac App Store.

Developers getting ready for the new app store appear to be adopting a software pricing approach similar to many iOS developers. New Mac apps, many of which will be ported from iOS, are expected to be aggressively priced, with developers hoping for high volume sales as a result.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Pretty cool! Can't wait. Apple is always improving and improving! Gotta love it! Go Apple!

Best
  • Reply 2 of 21
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    There's a mac app store coming?
  • Reply 3 of 21
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Fingers crossed for a surprise announcement of iWeb 11 just to get business moving.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I'm assuming 10.6.6 will be released tomorrow, then, in advance of the Mac App Store.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Fingers crossed for a surprise announcement of iWeb 11 just to get business moving.

If it was going to be updated, it would have been. They're including iWeb '09 in the iLife '11 box.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    I believe the App store will be a big deal. If it works as simple as the Safari Extensions site it will be great for all. Except for store.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    3m ta33m ta3 Posts: 15member
    There are no good personal finance software programs out there for Mac. Keeping my fingers crossed that someone sees the opportunity and develops an "app" for that. I would do it, but quite frankly, I don't know how.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    I skipped 10.6 because Leopard was working fine and I wanted to let some bugs be worked out of Snow Leopard. Now I suppose I should just wait for Lion. It will have all the Mac App Store goodies too. By then there will be more Mac Apps made.

Do you think my 2008 Mac Book will easily work with Lion? It's a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo with 2 GB RAM.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    I just searched for iWork, iLife, Pages, Keynote, etc. for iPhone and iPad on the App Store and can't find any sign of them. Are they about to be updated, too?
  • Reply 9 of 21
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Apple, with all their innovation and gadgets, billions in the bank, brightest talent in the world - still can't figure out how to put a password protect on Keynote files or create a 'player' like Powerpoint.

If this feature that people have been screaming for isn't in the next update... that will make it 8 years of 'Apple Fail' with the iWork suite. They haven't added anything of substance to this suite in over 3 years now anyways. A few new 'templates' and a handful of new transitions for the last 2 updates.

It's sad and pathetic.

'Back to the Mac' is a load of shit so far.

If they give the 'Mac' even 1/1000 of their attention this year, i'll be ecstatic.

BTW - Angry Birds on the Mac is not what I consider 'back to the mac'.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If it was going to be updated, it would have been. They're including iWeb '09 in the iLife '11 box.

Pathetic, simply pathetic.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

It's looking more and more like 'Back to the Mac' means dumbed-down fart apps for the mac.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    My Wish List (that will shut me up)

1. Password protect or ANY means of sharing Keynote files that protects the content and master file from changes/modification - and still have presentation functionality.

2. Bring video card performance up to at least 2007 standards.

3. iMac's that don't require a few rolls of tinfoil or a contractor as a needed accessory.

4. Blue-Ray support.

5. Implement the same features 'Clarisworks' had 14 years ago with their Calendar app that is still light years ahead of your crummy calendar. ie. sometimes I have events that last a few days... why can't i click and drag an event to stretch over a few days??? Why dammit? why??????? AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGHHH..... AAAAAAARRRRRRGH.... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGH (insert Sam Kinison)

That's it. Thats all I want.

A wee tiny bit of logic.

Stop innovating so fast that you can't support the present.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

1. Password protect or ANY means of sharing Keynote files that protects the content and master file from changes/modification - and still have presentation functionality.

3. iMac's that don't require a few rolls of tinfoil or a contractor as a needed accessory.

4. Blue-Ray support.

5. Implement the same features 'Clarisworks' had 14 years ago with their Calendar app that is still light years ahead of your crummy calendar. ie. sometimes I have events that last a few days... why can't i click and drag an event to stretch over a few days??? Why dammit? why??????? AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGHHH..... AAAAAAARRRRRRGH.... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGH (insert Sam Kinison)

A wee tiny bit of logic.

1) Sounds reasonable. Surprised it?s not already there.

2) I don?t think video card drivers will be in the MAS.

3) Okay, I see you not posting about the MAS or Apple apps, but about Macs in general.

4) Not going to happen. Optical drives are going bye-bye. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.

5) You can do this in iCal. Put your Calendar in Week view and then near the top or bottom of an event you can drag it cover days at a time. The only caveat is that if it covers days outside of your week view you?ll have to edit the dates and times manually.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

4. Blue-Ray support.

A wee tiny bit of logic.

Your postings are making it embarrassing to be a fellow Vancouverite .... such constant bitching ..... you're not related to my wife, by any chance, are you?
  • Reply 15 of 21
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JackNC View Post

I just searched for iWork, iLife, Pages, Keynote, etc. for iPhone and iPad on the App Store and can't find any sign of them. Are they about to be updated, too?

iLife has not been in the app store.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:

'Back to the Mac' is a load of shit so far.

If they give the 'Mac' even 1/1000 of their attention this year, i'll be ecstatic.

BTW - Angry Birds on the Mac is not what I consider 'back to the mac'.

Hey, wasn't that you I saw in the game?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Your postings are making it embarrassing to be a fellow Vancouverite .... such constant bitching ..... you're not related to my wife, by any chance, are you?

Well there's a little bit of him in your wife
  • Reply 17 of 21
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    oops...stepped on my sac

delete post
  • Reply 18 of 21
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Well it's just gone Jan 6 (15 mins ago) here in Australia and the App Store still has only iPhone and iPad tabs at the top. And there's no 10.6.6 appeared in Software Update.

The Mac App Store must open California time not local time. What will I buy first
  • Reply 19 of 21
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Pathetic, simply pathetic.

My post or Apple's disinterest in the one vessel by which they could spearhead an HTML5 attack on Adobe?

Because I agree wholeheartedly with the latter and sixthheartedly with the former.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    I look forward to the new store.