Asus take aim at iPad with scattershot of Android and Windows products

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Asus take aim at iPad with scattershot of Android and Windows products

Please proofread the titles. There's a subject-verb agreement issue in the title of this article. ASUS is one company so the verb 'to take' should not be conjugated plurally. Instead it should be in the singular.

Quote:

Asus takes aim at iPad with scattershot of Android and Windows products.

And shouldn't there be an "a" before "scattershot?"
  • Reply 22 of 84
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    . . .
  • Reply 23 of 84
    mactoidmactoid Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by qacjared View Post

Please proofread the titles. There's a subject-verb agreement issue in the title of this article. ASUS is one company so the verb 'to take' should not be conjugated plurally. Instead it should be in the singular.

And shouldn't there be a "a" before "scattershot?"

OK...and since we're on the topic...do the words "scattershot" and "aim" really go together? The point of a scattershot is so that you may hit something WITHOUT having to take aim.

Don't editors have to take english classes?
  • Reply 24 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

I have heard report after report that dealing with ASUS on anything is akin to yanking all of your teeth out of your skull.

It's atrocious. I sent in my netbook for a warranty-covered display malfunction a month ago and they are "waiting on the part" according to the last report. Of course I can't check the status online and their phone support is horrible.

But the battery life is great...
  • Reply 25 of 84
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mactoid View Post

OK...and since we're on the topic...do the words "scattershot" and "aim" really go together? The point of a scattershot is so that you may hit something WITHOUT having to take aim.

Have you ever used a shotgun? You still have to point it at your target, hence aiming. The difference is you don?t have to be as exacting as with other firearms.
  • Reply 26 of 84
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Have you ever used a shotgun? You still have to point it at your target, hence aiming. The difference is you don?t have to be as exacting as with other firearms.

Many small pellets ... with the intent that one or more might hit.
  • Reply 27 of 84
    Quote:

Perhaps not, but that's a matter of style instead of being a grammar problem.

It could work. Cheney aimed a "scattershot" at a bird back in 2006 and just like ASUS it missed its target.
  • Reply 28 of 84
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm with Johnamac on this one.

I've been provisioning and fixing computers for many years and I doubt that five hour figure very much indeed.

Generally speaking if Apple says a battery gets 5 hours, it really gets about four, but if any other manufacturer says they get five hours, it's typically really about two or three at most. I know that's a very big generalisation, but I've found it to be mostly true over the last five years or so at least.

Apple's battery tech and power management is the best by a country mile without exaggeration. The only reason the average non Apple-owning consumer doesn't know this, is because the other manufacturers lie so regularly and reliably about their figures that most people just assume Apple is the same.

In general my experience with PC laptop batteries has been similar. But I wonder if things are changing.

I bought a Lenovo netbook S10-3 last month and I don't know what it's specs are, but I have been getting 6+ hours of battery life on that. Quite impressive. My friend bought a Sony Vaio model specifically for its 8 hour battery life. I don't know how long it's actually lasting, but he's very happy with it.
  • Reply 29 of 84
    I have never seen anyone using an Asus product, and in fact never heard of them.

What ever they make will be a POS.
  • Reply 30 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by res08hao View Post

I have never seen anyone using an Asus product, and in fact never heard of them.

Actually, ASUStek used to make iBooks and MacBooks?

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/afx/2006...fx2643961.html

I'm just saying that my Core 2 Duo White Macbook from 2006 is still going strong.
  • Reply 31 of 84
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:

Really? There's a reason you buy "scattershot" rounds. But they're not going to hit anything behind you. They're also not going to hit anything that's very far ahead of you (in weapons/gun terms). I think the title is very accurate.
  • Reply 32 of 84
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The "competition" is getting more interesting, which is good for everyone... mind you, you'll never catch me using one of these things.

competition for whom? if you're referring to everyone but apple, i'm inclined to agree with you.

in other news, apple not requiring competition to push them forward:

Apple investigating 'no-look' gestures for iPod nano
  • Reply 33 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

In general my experience with PC laptop batteries has been similar. But I wonder if things are changing.

I bought a Lenovo netbook S10-3 last month and I don't know what it's specs are, but I have been getting 6+ hours of battery life on that. Quite impressive. My friend bought a Sony Vaio model specifically for its 8 hour battery life. I don't know how long it's actually lasting, but he's very happy with it.

Maybe I'm totally off base here, but I very rarely see anyone using their laptop unplugged. Other than the waiting room at the doctor or dentist's office and the airport. But literally, I've never been to a friends house and seen her/him use their laptop without it plugged into the outlet.
  • Reply 34 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

competition for whom? if you're referring to everyone but apple, i'm inclined to agree with you.

I have to disagree with you on this, with all due respect of course. I didn't upgrade to the new nano simply because I have to take my eyes off the road to use it in my car. This new "patent" is just trying to fix a mistake.
  • Reply 35 of 84
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

To push them forward, tap twice and hold. To call for help, tap three times, tap and hold three times, then tap three times.

On topic, I don't think ASUS are aiming at the iPad. The new tablets look like evolution of their existing hardware.
  • Reply 36 of 84
    Sorry for laughing! I honestly do not know how to react to these iPad killers.
  • Reply 37 of 84
    Quote:

You are happy they patented taps on a touchscreen? I mean wow, why don't they just claim they invented holding down a FF switch that instead of going to the next song goes fast forward in the song that is playing, and patent that?
  • Reply 38 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by qacjared View Post

For some strange reason the British Empire began considering companies and such as plural (in the late 1700s IIRC), so you see such jarring lack of agreement such as "Microsoft have...", "HP do...", and "Apple aren't...". Get used to it as you can't change a culture and its language (note that the "its" doesn't have an apostrophe!).
  • Reply 39 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by res08hao View Post

And why mr. troll?

Btw, Asus is right behind apple in reliability.

http://www.pcworld.com/zoom?id=211081&page=1&zoomIdx=1

Same with laptops

http://www.pcworld.com/zoom?id=211402&page=1&zoomIdx=1
  • Reply 40 of 84
    irontedironted Posts: 129member
    I just read a garbage article by Matt Asay on The Register. Here is the link:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01...d_beats_apple/

And here's my response:

This article is plain blasphemy! I would have thought that a man with a stature like Matt Asay would have understood why iPhone is so succcesful. But no, he seems to think open source will win. No developer makes money on Android. Angry Birds is ad-supported on Android, but that how it works on Android. Open source is bad for software developers. If you want to make money writing software on Android, forget about it. Open-source platforms like Linux is great for writing Java enterprise apps, which are for in-house use, but not for selling to consumers. Asay seems to think that just because Android is open-source, it can win. What a terrible mistake! And you are quoting a developer Whereoscope who obviously has a beef about Apple and can't make money on iOS. The volume Android has in the US is all on Verizon, and Verizon customers have no choice but to use Android or Blackberry, which is uncompetitive. If iPhone is available on Verizon, it will completely demolish Android. And Apple just had a record holiday quarter. Make my words! Those naysayers will keep saying bad things about Apple will never win!

Btw, Google doesnt make any money on Android itself. It makes money from the ads it sells on Android. Android is just a hobby for Google. Apple will continue making billions. Who's laughing in the end? Verizon will become Apple's new Valentine, and completely demolishes Android.