Apple set to open Mac App Store at noon Eastern on Thursday - report

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple's much anticipated Mac App Store will open for users of Mac OS X Snow Leopard at noon Eastern time on its previously announced launch date of Thursday, Jan. 6.

Citing sources, Jim Dalrymple of The Loop reported Wednesday that Apple will officially open the service at 12 p.m. Eastern, 9 a.m. Pacific. When the Mac App Store was rumored to have an early launch in December, he correctly reported that it would not arrive until January 2011.

Apple first announced the Mac App Store in October, and promised a launch within 90 days. The digital download destination will serve as a Mac OS X counterpart to the iOS App Store for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.

The App Store will allow users to download and install applications with just one click, like on iOS devices. Developers will also be able to take a 70 percent cut of sales through the digital storefront, while Apple keeps 30 percent.

Like on iOS devices, software will be remotely hosted by Apple. But once applications are installed, they will run locally, like traditional software.

Developers this week have been preparing for the launch of the App Store, and many of them plan to keep the low pricing model that has been employed to great success on the iPhone App Store, according to an informal survey.

In contrast, in its own promotional materials, Apple has shown its iLife applications with a price of $15 each, while iWork apps were shown being sold individually for $20. When combined, those prices are comparable to what customers would pay for the full retail versions of iLife and iWork for Mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    So the obvious question is if I own iWork for the Mac OS X and for the iPad already, do I have to buy another version and if so, why? What advantage will there be to having this new iOS version?
  • Reply 2 of 61
    So when's the next keynote?
  • Reply 3 of 61
    Does anyone know what the installed base is for Snow Leopard?
  • Reply 4 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

So the obvious question is if I own iWork for the Mac OS X and for the iPad already, do I have to buy another version and if so, why? What advantage will there be to having this new iOS version?

I dont see what's so obvious about it... This is apole opening an online softWare shop, nothing to do with killing your software.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    Can someone clarify this comment, "Like on iOS devices, software will be remotely hosted by Apple. But once applications are installed, they will run locally, like traditional software."

Does this mean anything more than, you download the software from Apple's servers? Or is the Mac App Store a semi-cloud based setup?
  • Reply 6 of 61
    Quote:

Well, let's see: you have a version for the Mac and a version for the iPad. Both allow you to create documents and save them, and in my experience, you can open them in either. So why would you need a new version? Did the article say the new version was going to be a new flavor?
  • Reply 7 of 61
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:

I think you got something wrong. There's only Mac and iOS versions. Those are the two versions of the iWork. The new App Store is just a store, like iTunes.
  • Reply 8 of 61
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Ohhhh... the 6th. After reading the headline I thought I was going to have to google or ask a religious zealot when this Easter mythology happened.

Thanks for the translation for us non-Christians.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    Can't wait!
  • Reply 10 of 61
    i thought today is the Sixth.
  • Reply 11 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

i thought today is the Sixth.

It might be somewhere on the planet.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    Too bad the Mac App Store is not available for Leopard. I understand that Apple wants to entice more users to upgrade to Snow Leopard. I wonder how many Snow Leopard units have sold to date.

I would like to see the Apple TV have an app store which can interact using the iphone/touch/ipad in some way. Using the idevice to control what you see on the TV screen ie: games, apps, and whatnot...

I have never seen an Apple TV and how its OS is designed or wether it is very similar to an iOS device. But having these two devices work seamlessly would seem like the next best step. Ideally, what I would like to see is an Apple TV that is built into the TV with the ability to access an app store in line with iOS. Not sure about this but it seems something here could be a good idea.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicwalmsley View Post

Can someone clarify this comment, "Like on iOS devices, software will be remotely hosted by Apple. But once applications are installed, they will run locally, like traditional software."

Does this mean anything more than, you download the software from Apple's servers? Or is the Mac App Store a semi-cloud based setup?

As you said first but with the nice touch that it 'knows' you downloaded it like the iPad / iPhone store so if you lose it you can simply purchase again and not be charged if on same Mac (I am guessing here but I suspect this will be the case).
  • Reply 14 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple/// View Post

Too bad the Mac App Store is not available for Leopard. I understand that Apple wants to entice more users to upgrade to Snow Leopard. I wonder how many Snow Leopard units have sold to date.

I would like to see the Apple TV have an app store which can interact using the iphone/touch/ipad in some way. Using the idevice to control what you see on the TV screen ie: games, apps, and whatnot...

I have never seen an Apple TV and how its OS is designed or wether it is very similar to an iOS device. But having these two devices work seamlessly would seem like the next best step. Ideally, what I would like to see is an Apple TV that is built into the TV with the ability to access an app store in line with iOS. Not sure about this but it seems something here could be a good idea.

SL was a very cheap upgrade though so why not install it if your Mac is up to the level that can?

corrected.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    How is the store accessed? iTunes? Safari?
  • Reply 16 of 61
    Where is the software update to enable this feature?
  • Reply 17 of 61
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Anyone else wish to predict the number of apps available on the Mac App Store on day one?

Mine: 2,842
  • Reply 18 of 61
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

How is the store accessed? iTunes? Safari?

The screen shot shows it as a standalone App Store app (although the Dock indicates that nothing is running and doesn't show an App Store icon). Presumably tomorrow you go to Apple.com, there will be a big front page ad, directing you to a place to download the new app and get started.

I'll be very interested to see how this works. One of the awesome things about the iOS App Store is that apps aren't tied to a particular device. I buy an app for $5 or whatever and I can use it on my iPhone and my wife and kid can use it on their iPod touches (same iTunes account). I doubt that will be the case for the Mac OS App Store, but is sure would be nice. Actually, that's how Steam works so maybe it's not so unreasonable, Steam includes checks to make sure you aren't running the same app on multiple devices at the same time.

Update: it's amazing what 8 seconds of "research" can learn ya: "Buy and download. And even redownload. You can install Mac apps on every Mac you use and even download them again. This is especially convenient when you buy a new Mac and want to load it with apps you already own."

http://www.apple.com/mac/app-store/

Sweet
  • Reply 19 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

The screen shot shows it as a standalone App Store app (although the Dock indicates that nothing is running and doesn't show an App Store icon). Presumably tomorrow you go to Apple.com, there will be a big front page ad, directing you to a place to download the new app and get started.

I'll be very interested to see how this works. One of the awesome things about the iOS App Store is that apps aren't tied to a particular device. I buy an app for $5 or whatever and I can use it on my iPhone and my wife and kid can use it on their iPod touches (same iTunes account). I doubt that will be the case for the Mac OS App Store, but is sure would be nice. Actually, that's how Steam works so maybe it's not so unreasonable, Steam includes checks to make sure you aren't running the same app on multiple devices at the same time.

Update: it's amazing what 8 seconds of "research" can learn ya: "Buy and download. And even redownload. You can install Mac apps on every Mac you use and even download them again. This is especially convenient when you buy a new Mac and want to load it with apps you already own."

http://www.apple.com/mac/app-store/

Sweet

I thought this feature was to be included as part of the 10.6.6 update?
  • Reply 20 of 61
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

Word has it that it is no different.

Update: I see where you have already answered your own question.