CES: AT&T outlines accelerated plans for 4G LTE deployment

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T has revealed plans to launch new LTE deployment later this year, earlier than expected, with the expectation that the network would be "largely complete" by the end of 2013.

The company previously expected to focus on HSPA+, an update for its existing 3G network that currently gives it bragging rights as the fastest national US mobile network. To combat the extensive and inaccurate marketing surrounding 4G, AT&T is now describing HSPA+ and LTE as both being "layers of network technology to deliver 4G speeds."

HSPA+ is usually considered a "3.5G technology," and is part of the 3GPP Release 7 specification, while LTE is often marketed as "4G" because it uses a new air interface (described in Release 8). However, the actual 3GPP definition of 4G service establishes 100Mbps downloads, something no LTE provider currently comes even close to providing.

Today's LTE is actually a "transitional" step toward real 4G speeds. Verizon says its LTE users should see average download speeds of 5-12Mbps, and uploads of 2-5Mbps. That's much faster than Verizon's existing EvDO 3G service, but less than a tenth of what 4G is supposed to deliver. It's also not faster than today's best 3G HSPA+ service.

Verizon and other CDMA/EvDo carriers (such as those in Canada and Mexico) were unable to upgrade EvDo to make it faster, because that technology is at the end of its life. While other CDMA carriers globally have built out HSPA+ overlays (which have enabled those carriers to support the iPhone), Verizon decided to skip HSPA+ and built out LTE instead.

LTE is not backwardly compatible with existing 3G phones that use either CDMA/EvDo or UMTS/HSPA networks (including the iPhone). Existing LTE simply works differently than HSPA+, but is not currently faster, although the technology will be eventually used to deliver much faster speeds. LTE service is also currently quite expensive as well, with Verizon charging $50 per month for 5GB of data, with $10 per gigabyte overage charges.

HSPA+ and 4G

AT&T's current 3G HSPA+ service is rated at 7.2Mbps downloads and 5.8Mbps uploads, with 14.4Mbps upgrades rolling out in some markets. Other carriers outside the US are operating HSPA+ networks offering speeds of up to 21Mbps, and AT&T reports that its network is capable of 21Mbps speeds, although few devices are capable of using that capacity.

iPhone models since the 3GS have been able to take advantage of 7.2Mbps speeds, and iPhone 4 introduced uploads that can take full advantage of 5.8Mbps uploads. In the real world, AT&T provides typical throughput closer to 1.5Mbps down and 0.7Mbps up, in areas of San Francisco where its service is available. In areas where AT&T has installed enhanced backhaul, the company says users should be able to experience 6Mpbs downloads on existing HSPA devices like the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4.

T-Mobile is also rolling out 21Mbps HSPA+ service, which it initially called "the nations fastest 3G network" but now describes as "America's largest 4G network."

In November, AT&T took issue with T-Mobile's claims, telling the blog Phone Scoop that "T-Mobile's claims about 4G are based on the same HSPA+ technology we have deployed to 180 million people today, more than T-Mobile?s reported 140 million, and we?ll have it rolled out to 250 million people by the end of this month, substantially more than the 200 million T-Mobile says it will have by year-end."

AT&T takes on Verizon in LTE

Now, joining Verizon's push to LTE, AT&T says it will begin deploying LTE within the year, and like T-Mobile, has begun describing its HSPA+ network as delivering 4G speeds competitive with today's LTE. "AT&T is the only U.S. company committed to delivering 4G using both HSPA+ and LTE technologies," the company said in a press release.

Also like Verizon, AT&T promised a variety of 4G LTE phones running Android, which should appear in the second half of this year. The company also suggested Apple would release a 4G iPhone for AT&T, but clarified that it was not making any announcement regarding iPhone support for LTE.

Apple is expected to release a conventional CDMA EvDo version of iPhone 4 for Verizon's network, which would greatly expand US availability among users tied to Verizon or unable to use AT&T's service. However, while Verizon's 3G service is largely considered to be more complete in coverage, it's not as fast as the best areas AT&T covers, nor is it competitive with LTE.

A hybrid CDMA/LTE iPhone is possible, but Apple may also wish to hold off on upgrading to LTE until it is more widely available, focusing instead on HSPA+ service that is currently capable of similar speeds and already widely deployed around the world.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I remember reading a posthere that quoted AT&T representative saying they are not rushing to roll out 4g and will not even begin until 2012 ish. I was furious and said us sucks compared to what was already available in Europe at the time. Now I am hoping all carriers will take this a bit more seriousely and we can start matching the speeds Scandinavians have been enjoying for some time now.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Verizon and other CDMA/EvDo carriers (such as those in Canada and Mexico) were unable to upgrade EvDo to make it faster, because that technology is at the end of its life.

Daniel, you're truly getting on my nerves. Why do you need to keep adding in comments like this? It's blatantly biased and fanboyism at its worst. Do us a favor and keep you're little comments to yourself. It's painful to read. Really.

On topic, I don't expect Apple to get on board with LTE for a few years. They used EDGE instead of 3G on the first iPhone, so it seems they don't want to be anybody's test subjects.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    Verizon needs to abandon CDMA as fast as they can. It's slow, end-of-life, and their version of it can not support data and voice at the same time.

Verizon's biggest weakness is that until their 4G LTE is fully built out (2013-2014?), they need to rely on CDMA as a backup. This will be a horrible user experience when users jump into and out of 4G. Calls will drop and/or data will stop.

At least AT&T can seamlessly fall back on their HSPA+ (up to 21mbps).

Sure, everyone "knows" Verizon has the best network...because everyone says it. Could it be that they really have the worst?
  • Reply 4 of 55
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Verizon's biggest weakness is that until their 4G LTE is fully built out (2013-2014?), they need to rely on CDMA as a backup. This will be a horrible user experience when users jump into and out of 4G. Calls will drop and/or data will stop.

As I mistakenly assumed a day ago in a similar thread and was corrected by 'ghostface', the LTE potion of the network is for data only so the lack of it won't cause any dropped calls. I believe Verizon has suggested that by 2012 they will begin to offer voice and data over LTE but in the meantime LTE is data only and voice will remain CDMA until then.

I did ask but I don't recall seeing any reply, will AT&T require both GSM for voice along side LTE for data or will they be LTE for both? I am again assuming it will be a similar transition as what Verizon described for their LTE deployment.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    Just a few months to go folks and then you can have a iphone on a REAL network. Rather than nearly always weak signal substandard performer like ATT with 1/5 the cell sites of Verizon for 3 G.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    Quote:

Verizon needs to abandon CDMA as fast as they can. It's slow, end-of-life, and their version of it can not support data and voice at the same time.

Sure, everyone "knows" Verizon has the best network...because everyone says it. Could it be that they really have the worst?

Who cares? ATT cannot support 3G at reliable speeds because of lack of signal.
  • Reply 7 of 55
    Quote:

And I forgot to mention that either you represent ATT or are totally technically incompetent.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I remember reading a posthere that quoted AT&T representative saying they are not rushing to roll out 4g and will not even begin until 2012 ish. I was furious and said us sucks compared to what was already available in Europe at the time. Now I am hoping all carriers will take this a bit more seriousely and we can start matching the speeds Scandinavians have been enjoying for some time now.

I don?t see why you?d take issue with a nation or two in Europe supporting a little coverage of LTE with no phones that support LTE, but expect the US to offer the same coverage over a considerably larger area supporting considerably more users

The bottom line is that Verizon and Sprint had to make the jump right because CDMA2000 wasn?t going to get faster. Just look at Verizon and AT&T?s slogans. "The Nation's Fastest Network. Period.? and ?The fastest 4G network in America.? AT&T?s besting Verizon and Sprint with their antiquated ?3G? technology that is still only at a fraction of it?s potential speed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

Daniel, you're truly getting on my nerves. Why do you need to keep adding in comments like this? It's blatantly biased and fanboyism at its worst. Do us a favor and keep you're little comments to yourself. It's painful to read. Really.

I?ll throw you a bone. It?s one thing to harass posters on the forum, but harassing AI staff, not a god idea if you want to maintain this account.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

As I mistakenly assumed a day ago in a similar thread and was corrected by 'ghostface', the LTE potion of the network is for data only so the lack of it won't cause any dropped calls. I believe Verizon has suggested that by 2012 they will begin to offer voice and data over LTE but in the meantime LTE is data only and voice will remain CDMA until then.

I did ask but I don't recall seeing any reply, will AT&T require both GSM for voice along side LTE for data or will they be LTE for both? I am again assuming it will be a similar transition as what Verizon described for their LTE deployment.

LTE is all IP. I think we?ll see VoIP to carriers before we see a dedicated voice channel added to the spec. Not a big deal IMO as the earlier techs are more power efficient. CDMA has a pretty good voice algorithm and will allow LTE phones to sip power in Idle mode while still keeping a connecting to the carrier. I don?t foresee CDMA being turned off in the US for at least a decade.

I would expect that in areas where you have LTE you?ll use 3GSM for voice. IOW, you?ll use AT&T?s 3G network for voice, not GSM ?2G?. The voice algorithm for GSM is inferior to CDMA ?2G?. I would expect AT&T to remove simple GSM long before Verizon can remove CDMA simply because all AT&T would need is all devices to be sold with 3G capabilities, even if it is a voice-only handset.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

Could it be a lack of signal for you? Since I switched from Verizon to AT&T I get much better signals. In some places where Verizon was dead, AT&T works.

And no, I do not work for or have any affiliation with AT&T (other than the monthly bill they send me and the payment I send them).
  • Reply 10 of 55
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Its not that big of a deal right now. Verizon's LTE network is no faster than AT&T's HSPA+. HSPA+ is already deployed across the entire country, AT&T has plenty of room speed up their HSPA+ network before they will need LTE.

Verizon has no where else to go but LTE.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

• Reply 11 of 55
    Advertising peak speeds is annoying. I don't care about the theoretical link from the tower to a device. I care about the realistic speed from the Internet to the tower spread across hundreds of people. And while you can see that speeds of 5Mbps and above are possible on AT&T's network, it does NOT explain why YouTube videos are played at crappy resolution and take forever to buffer (hint, not enough bandwidth to the tower!)

This whole "is HSPA+, LTE, or WiMAX 4G" crap won't matter to the end user when they realize that trying to stream YouTube HD means you'll be waiting for a while. And only then will they realize that a speed test is rather useless way to measure real-world cases of "4G" technology.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

I don't expect Apple to get on board with LTE for a few years. They used EDGE instead of 3G on the first iPhone, so it seems they don't want to be anybody's test subjects.

Correct.

It is more likely that they will stick with HSPA+ chips for the 2011 and 2012 iPhones. I don't expect to see an LTE-compatible iPhone until summer 2013. By that time, U.S. domestic deployment of LTE should be far enough along to make it worthwhile.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    There should be a 4G chip sufficient for the iPhone by 2012. Its not that big of a deal, LTE networks will have better deployment and maturity by that point. Plus if the next iPhone supports HSPA+ 21mbps, it will be either faster or just as fast as other 4G phones.

I don't think it makes much sense to buy a 4G phone right now.

Quote:

On topic, I don't expect Apple to get on board with LTE for a few years. They used EDGE instead of 3G on the first iPhone, so it seems they don't want to be anybody's test subjects.

• Reply 14 of 55
    Quote:

Just a few months to go folks and then you can have a iphone on a REAL network. Rather than nearly always weak signal substandard performer like ATT with 1/5 the cell sites of Verizon for 3 G.

I have had an iPhone on a real network for quite a while now. AT&T provides a pretty good signal both where I live and where I work.

Quote:

AT&T works very well in my area. 3G for me has been fast and reliable.

Quote:

And I forgot to mention that either you represent ATT or are totally technically incompetent.

And you must represent Verizon.

I look forward to seeing whether their network can really withstand the "burden" that millions of iPhones would place upon it.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    I doubt it will take that long. By 2012 4G will have become a competitive feature among smartphones. Because of HSPA+ there is no urgent need to support LTE right now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

It is more likely that they will stick with HSPA+ chips for the 2011 and 2012 iPhones. I don't expect to see an LTE-compatible iPhone until summer 2013. By that time, U.S. domestic deployment of LTE should be far enough along to make it worthwhile.

• Reply 16 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post

Could it be a lack of signal for you? Since I switched from Verizon to AT&T I get much better signals. In some places where Verizon was dead, AT&T works.

And no, I do not work for or have any affiliation with AT&T (other than the monthly bill they send me and the payment I send them).

I have done extensive testing ALL OVER California. Unless you are right on top of an ATT cell site ATT will be less reliable than Verizon. And that makes complete sense when one finds out that ATT has ONLY ONE THIRD the 3G cell sites in California that Verizon does. A lower density of cell sites means many many users will commonly find lower signal on ATT since the sites are father apart.

And to top it off ATT DID NOT convert all cell sites using 1900 Mhz to 800 Mhz. That means by physics alone the signal will be weaker inside many buildings.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

There should be a 4G chip sufficient for the iPhone by 2012. Its not that big of a deal, LTE networks will have better deployment and maturity by that point. Plus if the next iPhone supports HSPA+ 21mbps, it will be either faster or just as fast as other 4G phones.

I don't think it makes much sense to buy a 4G phone right now.

I look forward to the reviews so these "LTE or bust? comments can come to a head. Remember the HTC EVO 4G. I suspect that the first LTE phones won?t fare much different.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    All of the carriers are also upgrading the backhaul. Its a lot of work and takes time. I agree though that the marketing is outpacing the reality.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

This whole "is HSPA+, LTE, or WiMAX 4G" crap won't matter to the end user when they realize that trying to stream YouTube HD means you'll be waiting for a while. And only then will they realize that a speed test is rather useless way to measure real-world cases of "4G" technology.

• Reply 19 of 55
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:

"Seidenberg also says Jobs respects Verizon, telling him in December 2009, 1Decisions you made [at Verizon] are decisions we would make at Apple.'"

Don't recall this every being corrected or denied by Apple PR.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    Good point the HSPA+ chips are mature and power efficient. Not only would HSPA+ be as fast if not faster. They will be more energy efficient than the newer LTE chips.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I look forward to the reviews so these "LTE or bust? comments can come to a head. Remember the HTC EVO 4G. I suspect that the first LTE phones won?t fare much different.