CES: AT&T outlines accelerated plans for 4G LTE deployment

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

I have done extensive testing ALL OVER California. Unless you are right on top of an ATT cell site ATT will be less reliable than Verizon. And that makes complete sense when one finds out that ATT has ONLY ONE THIRD the 3G cell sites in California that Verizon does. A lower density of cell sites means many many users will commonly find lower signal on ATT since the sites are father apart.

California while large, does not include the entire population of the US (contrary to the opinions of many Californians).

I am sorry to hear that every AT&T customer in California is getting a poor signal (or no signal). I am sure that those on Verizon enjoy the quality of their service, especially when they have to end a voice call to use their browser or check email.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    Quote:

Unless you are right on top of an ATT cell site ATT will be less reliable than Verizon. And that makes complete sense when one finds out that ATT has ONLY ONE THIRD the 3G cell sites in California that Verizon does.

This would be conclusive if both companies used the same celular technology. They don't. (I've heard this will change once they both have their LTE networks fully deployed.)

It is my understanding that CDMA and GSM work very differently. Could it be that CDMA simply requires more towers and that GSM does not require as many tower? I'm not saying more towers won't help AT&T. I'm asking whether the differences in the technologies simply have different requirements as far as implementation is concerned. That is, what is the broadcast range of a single CDMA tower vs. the range of a single GSM tower?
  • Reply 23 of 55
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Seeing how Apple waits till the networks mature (LTE), I'm guessing Apple will go with HSPA+ instead of LTE for the next iPhone.

Oh and here's a little demo video of AT&T LTE Network speeds.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/blog/an...ew-htc-device/
  • Reply 24 of 55
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post

California while large, does not include the entire population of the US (contrary to the opinions of many Californians).

I am sorry to hear that every AT&T customer in California is getting a poor signal (or no signal). I am sure that those on Verizon enjoy the quality of their service, especially when they have to end a voice call to use their browser or check email.

So while you are checking your e-mail, what is the person on the line doing?
  • Reply 25 of 55
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

It's called a speakerphone. They work pretty well...
  • Reply 26 of 55
    Quote:

Who cares? ATT cannot support 3G at reliable speeds because of lack of signal.

I don't know where you live, but you don't speak for me when I get reliable signal and solid data speeds. Houston, TX....westchase or galleria area.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

It's called a speakerphone. They work pretty well...

Or using any variety of wired or wireless headphone systems. Pretty much every call I make involves me looking up something while on the call.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Or using any variety of wired or wireless headphone systems. Pretty much every call I make involves me looking up something while on the call.

If this is actually a feature you use, then bully for you. I never did.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

Daniel, you're truly getting on my nerves. Why do you need to keep adding in comments like this? It's blatantly biased and fanboyism at its worst. Do us a favor and keep you're little comments to yourself. It's painful to read. Really.

On topic, I don't expect Apple to get on board with LTE for a few years. They used EDGE instead of 3G on the first iPhone, so it seems they don't want to be anybody's test subjects.

I'll take Daniel's comments anyday over yours. Have you taken leave of your senses? "I don't expect Apple to get on board with LTE for a few years." For a few years! Apparently, you expect Apple to roll over and play dead in the smartphone market.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

Daniel, you're truly getting on my nerves. Why do you need to keep adding in comments like this? It's blatantly biased and fanboyism at its worst. Do us a favor and keep you're little comments to yourself. It's painful to read. Really.

On topic, I don't expect Apple to get on board with LTE for a few years. They used EDGE instead of 3G on the first iPhone, so it seems they don't want to be anybody's test subjects.

Actually I think you're really getting on people's nerves. Every time I read a DED article I know you're going to be one of the first posters bitching about some nonsensical thing. Enough already...
  • Reply 31 of 55
    Quote:

If this is actually a feature you use, then bully for you. I never did.

It?s a deal breaker feature for me and I think it?s important to a good majority of users that Verizon will market this feature as soon as it?s available, which I assume will be with the first CDMA/EV-DO/LTE smartphone on their network.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Wow, someone actually needs to explain to you how convenient it is to be able to access data while you're on a call?!
  • Reply 33 of 55
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Wow, someone actually needs to explain to you how convenient it is to be able to access data while you're on a call?!

Really.

"Hey, you want to see a movie?"

"Sure"

"What's playing?"

"Hang on... (launches favorite movie listing app).... True Grit is at the AMC 9 at 7pm, you want me to buy us tickets?"

"Great! Um, I'm not exactly sure where the theater is....."

"Hang on.. (launches Google Maps, takes screen shot of relevant map, emails to friend) .... I sent you an email with the map, you can check it out after you hang up, you lucky Verizon person."
  • Reply 34 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Really.

"Hey, you want to see a movie?”

[…]

"Hey, you want to see a movie?”

"Sure"

"What's playing?”

“I’ll check… (launches favorite movie listing app while continuing the conversation) …. “Is there anything you had in mind.”

“Yeah, I heard True Grit is good.”

“Cool. I wouldn’t mind seeing that, too. How about a drink afterwards?”

“Not tonight. I’m still recovering from NYE…"

"True Grit is at the AMC 9 at 7pm, you want me to buy us tickets?"

"Hang on.. (launches Google Maps, takes screen shot of relevant map, emails to friend) .... I sent you an email with the map, you can check it out after you hang up, you lucky Verizon person."
  • Reply 35 of 55
    kre62kre62 Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iPhone models since the 3GS have been able to take advantage of 7.2Mbps speeds, and iPhone 4 introduced uploads that can take full advantage of 5.8Mbps uploads. In the real world, AT&T provides typical throughput closer to 1.5Mbps down and 0.7Mbps up, in areas of San Francisco where its service is available. In areas where AT&T has installed enhanced backhaul, the company says users should be able to experience 6Mpbs downloads on existing HSPA+ devices like the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4.

God almighty, is this really that difficult? Sorry but I've been fighting this battle all day.

1)The 3GS and 4 are NOT HSPA+ DEVICES!! They are regular HSPA devices. Up until today, there were no devices in existence for AT&T's HSPA+ network. Now some have been announced.

2) AT&T confirmed that their tech is not 14.4, but the full 21mbps tech t-mobile is using.

Thank you.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

As a matter of fact, every iPhone ships with mic-equipped wired earbuds.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    Quote:

"Hey, you want to see a movie??

"Sure"

"What's playing??

?I?ll check? (launches favorite movie listing app while continuing the conversation) ?. ?Is there anything you had in mind.?

?Yeah, I heard True Grit is good.?

?Cool. I wouldn?t mind seeing that, too. How about a drink afterwards??

?Not tonight. I?m still recovering from NYE?"

"True Grit is at the AMC 9 at 7pm, you want me to buy us tickets?"

Well, yeah, I figured the "continuing the conversation part" was implied.....
  • Reply 38 of 55
    Quote:

Well, yeah, I figured the "continuing the conversation part" was implied.....

I assumed that would have been the next defense for the anti-walk-and-chew-gum crowd so I wanted to nip it before it got brought up… as if that ever makes a difference. \
  • Reply 39 of 55
    Quote:

I assumed that would have been the next defense for anti-walk-and-chew-gum crowd so I wanted to nip it before it got brought up? as if that ever makes a difference. \

True, it's not like you're putting the other person on hold or you have to fall silent while you're using other apps.

It's so weird that Apple actually created this remarkable system where talking on the phone can be so massively empowered with all kinds of support technology, and done in a natural, seamless way that actually doesn't much get in the way of the conversation and by the time you get to Android phones on Verizon it's somehow nothing anyone would want.

The same people who proclaimed that lack of multitasking was a deal breaker dismiss being able to look up things on the internet or make restaurant reservations or double check stock prices or look at a map while talking about those very things as being pointless or eminently skippable. The thing is, who doesn't do those things while on the phone and sitting at a computer? Why is it nothing interesting when you put the same functionality on the phone itself?
  • Reply 40 of 55
    rkrickrkrick Posts: 66member
    Quote:

...The thing is, who doesn't do those things while on the phone and sitting at a computer? Why is it nothing interesting when you put the same functionality on the phone itself?

Because Verizon fanboys are part of the can't walk and chew gum at the same time crowd anyhow...