CES: AT&T outlines accelerated plans for 4G LTE deployment

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RKRick View Post

Because Verizon fanboys are part of the can't walk and chew gum at the same time crowd anyhow...

Is Jobs a "fanboy" then? If simultaneous voice and data is a huge deal to you, then great. I had an iPhone for 3 years and can count on 1 hand the number of times I used it. But I could never get service for the thing. If your experience is different, please stay with AT&T. My point is: for some the voice/data thing is a "dealbreaker." I don't think most people give a rat's behind, especially if they have sub par AT&T service where they are.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

It's so weird that Apple actually created this remarkable system where talking on the phone can be so massively empowered with all kinds of support technology, and done in a natural, seamless way that actually doesn't much get in the way of the conversation and by the time you get to Android phones on Verizon it's somehow nothing anyone would want.

Knowing you’ll be on hold for awhile calling some 800 number makes for a decent time if you can read website and get/reply to mail, not to mention web-enabled apps.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

My point is: for some the voice/data thing is a "dealbreaker." I don't think most people give a rat's behind, especially if they have sub par AT&T service where they are.

And that’s fine but your original comment wasn’t about how useful this feature is to you or how useful you think this is to the general public, but instead implied that feature itself was poor through your assumption that you aren’t able to communicate with the other party while you’re using the internet whilst on a call.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash

So while you are checking your e-mail, what is the person on the line doing?

Again, once this is possible on Verizon I think they’ll be marketing the crap out of it which will tell me it’s a desired feature. Note that desired is not the same as a well used feature. For instance, front facing camera is highly desired and Apple is marketing the hell out of FaceTime but I doubt it’s a heavy used feature. For me, simultaneous voice and data is heavily used but I have no guess on how common the actual use is, but I will wager a guess that people want the option.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Knowing you?ll be on hold for awhile calling some 800 number makes for a decent time if you can read website and get/reply to mail, not to mention web-enabled apps.

And that?s fine but your original comment wasn?t about how useful this feature is to you or how useful you think this is to the general public, but instead implied that feature itself was poor through your assumption that you aren?t able to communicate with the other party while you?re using the internet whilst on a call.

Again, once this is possible on Verizon I think they?ll be marketing the crap out of it which tells me it?s a desired feature. Note that desired is not the same as a well used feature. For instance, front facing camera is highly desired and Apple is marketing the hell out of FaceTime but I doubt it?s a heavy used feature. For me, simultaneous voice and data is heavily used but I have no guess on how common the actual use is, but I will wager a guess that people want the option.

They may market the heck out of it, and maybe there are millions of people out there dying for it on Verizon. I just can't see other than a very few instances where it would be useful, your snarky scenario earlier notwithstanding.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Totally......

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Again, once this is possible on Verizon I think they?ll be marketing the crap out of it which tells me it?s a desired feature.

• Reply 45 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

They may market the heck out of it, and maybe there are millions of people out there dying for it on Verizon. I just can't see other than a very few instances where it would be useful, your snarky scenario earlier notwithstanding.

You thought Addabox?s scenario was snarky? That was a very realistic scenario using too simple and common apps that easily could be needed while in a conversation. Nothing snarky at all. If you want snarky I?ll give you snarky...
  • Reply 46 of 55
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I guess if all you do is use your phone as a phone then it may not make much difference. But it certainly is useful.

Quote:

• Reply 47 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I guess if all you do is use your phone as a phone then it may not make much difference. But it certainly is useful.

Actually thanks to AT&T's service, it wasn't even good for that. Maybe I'd care about simultaneous voice and data if I got a decent signal just to be able to talk first.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

I have done extensive testing ALL OVER California.

California?! AT&T may be broken in California, but California is just B.R.O.K.E. - PERIOD!

Maybe ATT builds out it's infrastructure only in fiscally sound states? I dunno, but it works great in my little portion of the world here in Virginia and in buildings too! You might want to broaden your "extensive testing (to) ALL OVER America" before final judgement. There's more to this country then say California and New York.

I invite you to check out Virginia. We have beaches... Not as grand as CA nor populated with CA babes or surfer dude size waves, but beaches nonetheless. We also have mountains out in the western part of the state. You'd call them hills, but nonetheless we have 'em. And Southern Hospitality... Y'all come back now, ya hear!
  • Reply 49 of 55
    Each year ATT comes up with a different story. Last year they were deploying 2 Billion to upgrade their towers. It sounded good yet to date their service shows no sign of improvement. ATT consistently runs last in the Consumer Reports Survey.

ATT saying what it hopes to do by 2013 could be as much as five years away not 2 years.

Watching an interview with the new incoming ATT chairman was anything but encouraging.

Its time ATT started to realize that they can't handle 3G service to most peoples satisfaction.
  • Reply 50 of 55
    Don't worry about confusion between what's 3G and what's 4G.

Once AT&T actually starts rolling out LTE, it will be branded 5G.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    slide of hand... bs marketing......

The Devil is in Details, as usual, which makes it unclear as to what Apple will do with iPhone, which seems to be a 90% or greater certainty on Verizon, and soon...

Will Apple wait till the End of 6/2011 to announce the Same Model for both ATT and VZ, and call it iPhone 5, or iPhone 4G, or whatever? Hard to tell... If VZ is to get it, it better be a lot closer to now, Jan 6, 2011, then a few months before WWDC sometimes in June, when the Next iPhone could be announced, and available closer to Aug 1, 2011...

Plenty speculation in this article's Comments, which is one of many on this topic... But, as usual, it's informative stuff, assuming it's accurate...

Voice & Data is important to me too, but... To use it while driving is dangerous, and while on Subway, unless above ground, not possible... That gives VZ somewhat of an excuse for not having it, but... If VZ iPhone doesn't have it, ATT will be playing up that advantage, and jumping on the True Speeds topic, as "Consumer Education"..., add another advantage - Roll-Over-Minutes, which almost completely removes the fear of Overtime Minutes...

I can't wait to buy my 1st iPhone, and retire my Palm Treo 700p... (2006!!!), but, at this point, I am in the dark, like everyone else, until we hear from Apple officially!!! And, even then, if they introduce Verizon iPhone, we still will not know if that would be the only New iPhone in 2011... After WWDC we'll know more.... It'll be hard for me to wait until then...., on PB G4, 1.67, 10.4.11..., 2GB RAM

My other "green light" for iPhone purchase is MBP 17' Upgrade, which is rumored for April... So, maybe for me it makes sense to wait till after WWDC, by which time the Newest MBP's will be more "broken in"..., but then it's Lion, OS 10.7..., and a whole New Madness with Apps being compatible etc...

This article, Apple restricting employee vacations as first 2011 products loom - only adds to the suspense!!!

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ucts_loom.html

Either way this ATT-VZ Wars are really annoying... FUD, etc... Marketing BS.... But, I can see how AI can benefit from all that, cause it is a hot topic, and thus brings traffic, like all hot topics do... But, I still enjoy reading these Comments sometimes, cause, in some cases a more detailed info is revealed, proving more "devil in details"...

It'd be nice to get some savvy advice vs. my particular situation/timeline, and When to Buy?... Thanks in advance! Healthy and Happy 2011 to all !
  • Reply 52 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I don't know where you live, but you don't speak for me when I get reliable signal and solid data speeds. Houston, TX....westchase or galleria area.

You do not speak for me either. I live in a suburb of Philadelphia. I never have issues with my iPhone. ATT has never given me any issues.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MatthewGavin View Post

You do not speak for me either. I live in a suburb of Philadelphia. I never have issues with my iPhone. ATT has never given me any issues.

I have done extensive testing of all 4 carriers in upstate NY. Verizon and AT&T have simmilar coverage, but AT&T 3G speeds are 3-5 times faster most of the time. I rarely saw over 1 mb down on verizon anywhere, and I rarely saw less than 1 mb down on AT&T when in 3G. When you get into the rural hills, AT&T's edge varies from usable to pathetic, but we are talking amish country with more horse and buggys than cell phones. Verizon does not have 3G in these areas either, and in many places either AT&T or Verizon, and sometimes both have no coverage at all.

In the urban areas Sprint is the big winner. The real world download speeds on an EVO are regularly 10 mb or better. Upload is artificially limited to 1 mb which sucks, but that is still 3x what you can expect from Verizon 3G around here.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 55 of 55
    Did you all forget that AT&T delivers phone and DSL connections to homes?? This means that they are REALLY in a pickle. They will eventually have to face cannibalization thanks to wireless tech (and Android with their ability to WiFi hotspot). Eventually wireless tech will be able match and possibly surpass their DSL speeds while at the same time offer more services. I wouldnt be surprised in the near future you would be able to stream HBO from your phone to the television especially with the download speeds of 14 - 21+ mbps. What this means is that people will use their handsets as their modems AND home phones. Verizon, TMO and Sprint do not have to worry about losing as much as AT&T. AT&T is VERY bloated. Their operational costs are too high compared to the other companies. Also, AT&T will have to worry about new competitors (Cox Cable, DishTV, Viacom) to the market because technology is forcing them into that direction. My thought is that they should have bought TMo USA when they had the chance.