Apple set to open Mac App Store at noon Eastern on Thursday - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    I think this is going to be a huge success. More importantly, I think Apple realises that most of its new Mac customers will be iPhone/iPad user going forward, and they want to make the Mac work more like the iOS devices those people are used to. One of the most difficult selling points with Macs has been differentiating it from cheaper Windows computers in a way the average person can understand. Now Apple can say to the tens of millions of existing iPhone/iPad customers, "it works like your iPhone/iPad!" Apple has never been in a position where it can sell Macs to new customers based on familiarity like that before. That's why the Mac App Store and Lion are so important.
  • Reply 42 of 61
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

You have read, heard or seen something that Apple wrote, said or showed that implied, indicated or declared they would?

I think it's possible that Apple will have an option in Lion to restrict installing non-App Store apps. It makes a huge amount of sense to have that there. I don't think they'll ever restrict it completely though; there are too many markets who need the ability to run whatever they want from wherever they want. But anyone who has had to fix the computers of family members would surely love the ability to restrict computers to run only apps downloaded from the App Store.
  • Reply 43 of 61
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

virus

*snort*

Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

I think it's possible that Apple will have an option in Lion to restrict installing non-App Store apps. It makes a huge amount of sense to have that there. I don't think they'll ever restrict it completely though; there are too many markets who need the ability to run whatever they want from wherever they want. But anyone who has had to fix the computers of family members would surely love the ability to restrict computers to run only apps downloaded from the App Store.

Makes a huge amount of sense to stop developers from making applications and permanently shutting out 60% of the potential userbase, apparently.
  • Reply 44 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Same numbers. Arranged differently: 8,224

I'll play along... 4,822

It's already Jan 6 for me... almost noon... nothing yet... hahahaha they said EST.... arghhh.
  • Reply 45 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

SL was a very cheap upgrade though so why not install it if your Mac is up to the level that can?

corrected.

Yes, I forgot that. I must admit I am a life long Apple user for 30 years, and an avid watcher of Apple and the industry for almost the same time. But due to life's circumstance, I currently do not even own a computer or an Apple device. This will most likely change over time. I am an avid fan of Apple because my Dad worked for them and in the computer industry for 25 + years.
  • Reply 46 of 61
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

I think it'll be above 10,000.

After Balmer bragging about posting a hundred new apps every 24 hours during his keynote tonight at the CES 2011, I am adding a zero to my original guess, i.e, upping it to 28,420.

As far as I can tell, he introduced nothing new aside from Avatar Kinect. Apparently, it was, "cool, but creepy."

Note: Can't remember exactly, but Balmer reported the they have over 5,000 apps after 60 days in their app store.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/e...liveevent.aspx
  • Reply 47 of 61
    At least between 10000 and 20000 being conservative
  • Reply 48 of 61
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Go ahead, try to sell your app on the web. The OS vendor will be telling it's customers it isn't safe.

It's already the case that the first time you try to open an app downloaded from the Internet you get a warning.

I think these devs may be right that not being on the App Store could make them look dodgy, but think of how much money they are losing to piracy right now, that the App Store could prevent. Some devs who have used private APIs might be screwed but the rest might get a big increase in revenue. And they won't have to sell their souls to the likes of mupromo any more.

My guess for number of apps: 1,500 to 3,000
  • Reply 49 of 61
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's already the case that the first time you try to open an app downloaded from the Internet you get a warning.

Remember Tiger? When Tiger first came out a web site could download, install and start an app without the user even being aware of it. Apple added this warning to alert you of any such downloads and give you a chance to delete offending apps before they could do any harm.
  • Reply 50 of 61
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

My guess for number of apps: 1,500 to 3,000

Is this The Price Is Right? where we lowball everyone?

Then because "One dollar, Bob!" is ludicrous, I'll say 600 to 1,000 applications. The Eternal Pessimist strikes again.
  • Reply 51 of 61
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

My only concern is apple making this a mandatory way of installing things on the Mac. That would be terrible.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

You have read, heard or seen something that Apple wrote, said or showed that implied, indicated or declared they would?

IIRC, Apple explicitly said that would not be the case, although they've changed their minds many, many times over the years!

My worry isn't that Apple will actually make it mandatory, but that it could become a "defacto requirement" merely by enough developers switching to this model without providing any other alternative way to purchase/install apps.

One problem (among others): this would preclude most people from ever buying software without using a credit card and setting up an account. Right now there are thousands of stores that sell software (including Apple stores) where you can walk in, grab something off the shelf, pay with cash and install via CD/DVD. It would suck to lose that option, but I can see it coming. There need to be more/better options made available as that time approaches.

Edit: whoops, I missed this 2nd page, looks like there are others with similar-ish concerns. That's good, we just have to make sure all sides are considered.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

One problem (among others): this would preclude most people from ever buying software without using a credit card and setting up an account. Right now there are thousands of stores that sell software (including Apple stores) where you can walk in, grab something off the shelf, pay with cash and install via CD/DVD. It would suck to lose that option, but I can see it coming. There need to be more/better options made available as that time approaches.

I take it that the App Store will still tie into your iTunes account, therefore you could still walk into a store and purchase an iTunes Card and then redeem this against your account - you dont need a credit card to have an iTunes Account. And some stores in the UK have a 2 x £15 for £20 from time to time, so another 3rd off :-)

The bonus about digital downloads is that it will never get lost, never get scratched and you cant lend it to your mate to never see it again, I only use my DVD drive now a days to burn the occasional DVD Disk, since having my Macbook Pro for other a year - I haven't installed a single App via the drive.

One big concern though with the Appstore is: does this mean the end of MacHeist and the like ??? :-(
  • Reply 53 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Is this The Price Is Right? where we lowball everyone?

Then because "One dollar, Bob!" is ludicrous, I'll say 600 to 1,000 applications. The Eternal Pessimist strikes again.

Can I change my vote to 599? Or 1001?

We're just a few hours away. Can't wait to see how many apps are listed that I didn't know about. Also hoping for iWork '11.
  • Reply 54 of 61
    FLASH PRIORITY UPDATE!!!

Just downloaded the 10.6.6 update using software update. App Store installed and operational. I was able to purchase a cheap game and install.

NO NEW IWORK 11 VERSION AVAILABLE. Just the old one.
  • Reply 55 of 61
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 56 of 61

deleted

• Reply 57 of 61
    Quote:

Tomorrow... ...market share to grow... ...10% global... ...20%...

Don't spout the Marketshare Myth again. The Russians won't magically start noticing OS X at 20% marketshare but ignore it at 10% or 19%. If something was going to happen, it would already have happened. Even if it was just a disgruntled Windows user who wanted to arrest the climb of OS X, if something outside the realm of proof-of-concept was going to exist, it would.
  • Reply 58 of 61
    deleted
  • Reply 59 of 61
    Quote:

Best of luck to you, Mr. Ostrich.

Thankfully the man running Apple thinks differently.

Does he? Interesting that you know this.
  • Reply 60 of 61
    deleted