Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.6 with Mac App Store

Comments

• Reply 41 of 251
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member
    I think that like many of the dev's have expressed it will have the effect of *dumbing down* the overall software pool with all the limitations and restrictions of what they will permit and won't. Nothing which requires an admin password to install? Look at you own software collection. How many installers have you run that required an admin password? None of them will be in that "store"

System utilities, major apps that install resources in the library ... none of that will be in the store.

The old downloads section was a pain in the as* to find anything in. Nonetheless, it was a valuable resource referring to how many apps? 20 thousand?

The new app store opens with a thousand. That says something right there. How many great apps will not be found by new users in particular who simply aren't aware of how or where to find them given the total loss of the downloads referrals?

Nineteen thousand possibilities give or take just vanished from the horizon for lots of people.

Is that progress? Me thinks not.
  • Reply 42 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Can't wait to see what Logic and FinalCut will go for.

FinalCut is a mega-sized app. Can't imagine they would make it available for download...
  • Reply 43 of 251
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post

It doesn't look like it recognizes the apps you already have (except iLife 11). So, no updating through the store. That's kind of a shame, too.

Well it is only day one, I'm sure that's a feature to come in future updates. They'd be foolish not to add that.
  • Reply 44 of 251
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    Retailers are going to hate Apple for this
  • Reply 45 of 251
    Smallest system update ever.
  • Reply 46 of 251
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Queue the "walled garden" complaints in 3... 2... 1...

Let me in!
  • Reply 47 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple is so far ahead with the next-gen "computing" paradigm that I just feel sad for the competition now.

An App Store for Macs via a separate, dedicated app?

Brilliant.

Grabbed Stuffit Expander just for kicks. Then Angry Birds.

Easiest and most convenient thing to do. The Mac App Store should have happened long ago.

it did. you could do this type of thing with some linux distros for quite a while now. but, sadly, most of the apps are free....
  • Reply 48 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kavok View Post

I'm confused because the App Store says that iWork is the '09 version, but the release date says January 03, 2011.

Also the App store doesn't recognize that I already have iWork installed, while it recognizes other software on my iMac... Which lends the idea that it IS iWork '11 and not iWork '09.

Anyone know which way it REALLY is?

Because iWork '09 IS THE LATEST VERSION... the latest incremental UPDATE to it was January 03 '11, that's where that date comes from, but it's still the '09 app.

They have to add significant (in Apple's opinion) new features before they'll slap a new name on it. (Rumored to be coming soon.)

As of today, there is NO SUCH THING as iWork '11.

(Also note: Apple now just calls it "iWork" , with no year. The individual Apps are labeled with a year; like Pages '09. That would lead one to believe that they will be able to be purchased individually (like on the iPad) so you could buy Pages '11 (when released) but keep using Numbers '09... etc.)
  • Reply 49 of 251
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

I think that like many of the dev's have expressed it will have the effect of *dumbing down* the overall software pool with all the limitations and restrictions of what they will permit and won't. Nothing which requires an admin password to install? Look at you own software collection. How many installers have you run that required an admin password? None of them will be in that "store"

System utilities, major apps that install resources in the library ... none of that will be in the store.

The old downloads section was a pain in the as* to find anything in. Nonetheless, it was a valuable resource referring to how many apps? 20 thousand?

The new app store opens with a thousand. That says something right there. How many great apps will not be found by new users in particular who simply aren't aware of how or where to find them given the total loss of the downloads referrals?

Nineteen thousand possibilities give or take just vanished from the horizon for lots of people.

Is that progress? Me thinks not.

It is obvious that you don't think at all. IMO.
  • Reply 50 of 251
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1348

I noticed that you gave the link for the combo update for Mac OS X Server. Here is the link to the retail version of the combo update: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1349
  • Reply 51 of 251
    On the one hand I'm delighted with my timing - I finally sorted out my dramatically poor internet connection with something way better earlier this week, on the other hand, having done that it's going to end up costing me a fortune!

The Mac App Store is something that computing has been waiting for. I'm the ultimate impulse buyer. If I read a review on say macworld.com I want the software immediately. If I have to drive to the store, I'll have forgotten what I've gone for by the time I get there (actually I'll get distracted by buying something else, but we'll ignore that).

I expect there are going to be a lot of "walled garden" complaints, but the fact is for the vast majority of users (and I'm not talking about users who are techy people who read things like appleinsider, I'm talking about the general public) the ease of use of the Apple approach is more than enough to overcome the small downsides of having Apple set restrictions.
  • Reply 52 of 251
    imoiimoi Posts: 15member
    I bought Angry Bird and Solitaire (free), they won't run on my son's first gen iMac Intel (1.83 Ghz, 2 gig ram, os x 10.6.6), but they do run on my other son's MacMini and my MacBook.
  • Reply 53 of 251
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 54 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple is so far ahead with the next-gen "computing" paradigm that I just feel sad for the competition now.

An App Store for Macs via a separate, dedicated app?

Brilliant.

Grabbed Stuffit Expander just for kicks. Then Angry Birds.

Easiest and most convenient thing to do. The Mac App Store should have happened long ago.

What about the various Linux Software Repo Programs? (Ubuntu Software Center comes to mind)

What about Steam, or Stardock for games on Winblows?

The App Store concept I think is not far ahead, just an Applized re-do of things done many years before.
  • Reply 55 of 251
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    Very cool.... I bought iWork with my Mac Pro. I updated it to 10.6.6 and reconized that I have iWork installed. I updated my mac mini and it put iWork on it.... How sweet is that????

Apple just left the competition in the dust.....
  • Reply 56 of 251
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Just downloaded my first app - Evernote!
  • Reply 57 of 251
    Anyone know if there's an app that would allow me to download and read books from iTunes on my Macbook?
  • Reply 58 of 251
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Adobe has to be freaking.

Hopefully developers will be able to sell more software to offset the lower prices. More reasonably priced software would also reduce software piracy.

It would make the choice between Aperture and Lightroom pretty easy for most thats for sure.

I guess they are trying to upsell the iPhoto folks, although I am not sure how much there is there for point and shoot users. I noticed the other day that my iPad can sync to my Aperture library...too bad I dont have an iPad with 200Gb. Lol thats just RAW though. I wonder how small the synced jpeg version of the library would be.
  • Reply 59 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

... Interestingly, it lists Page as "installed", but it doesn't list TextWrangler as installed. Granted that's a free app. But it would be nice for the system to recognize other vendor's apps as having been installed. Probably because the App Store can only recognize its own type of DRM? That would make sense. Recognizing the existence of an app that has "dubious providence" would open the door too widely to fake installations & piracy to trick the app store into saying "You have a new update."

I think you're right. I had the same experience. It makes sense that some of the apps will have to be downloaded from the store for the first time before the system recognises them.

The only thing I'm unhappy about is the prices.

The model for these kind of stores is high volume and low prices, anything else is just highway robbery. Apple has done the right thing and lowered prices dramatically on their high end products and a couple of other companies like Pixelmator have also.

Unfortunately the once fantastic OmniGroup insists on ripping everyone off for their stuff and a lot of other developers have followed suit. There is no way the average person is going to buy an $80.00 item, sight unseen, based on a two paragraph description and a couple of screen shots. No one but a fool would buy "Bejeweled" for 20 bucks, etc. etc. Let's hope the prices even out a bit lower than what we see now.
  • Reply 60 of 251
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I already own a registered version Transmit v3.7 from Panic and I saw the new version 4 on the Apps Store. There is a 45% discount available for those upgrading from v3+ on Panic's web site.

Ever the curious one, I clicked buy version 4 from the Apps store just to see how it handled the discount for version 3 owners.

I clicked buy to get to the next screen ... I never saw any mention of upgrading. In the blink of an eye I now own version 4. I saw no mention of cost, discount whatever. I have no idea what I was charged. No e-mail receipt yet. I will be very interested to see if I was automatically granted the discount I would have received via Panic's own download site. Given it never asked for the serial I have for v3 I am dubious. If I am I will be very impressed.

Here's hoping!