Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.6 with Mac App Store

Comments

• Reply 121 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Way cool. I saw a post in the Ubuntu forums recently looking for music production software. What do you use on that system?

It would be, but I agree we're not likely to see custom repos on an Apple system.

You may want to give this a try (its what I have installed on my Music creation computer):

http://ubuntustudio.org/

Sadly, I've found nothing that really compares to Garageband for simplicity. Things you loose on a Linux machine: Pretty looks, simplicity (for most audio programs, you have to be running JACK, and make the proper virtual connections like you would in a real audio rack rig to get it all working) and ease of setup (having to install MIDI voices, a real-time kernel, etc...)

Popular Audio Programs:

Aurdor

Jokosher

Rosegarden

LMMS

Hydrogen
  • Reply 122 of 251
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

For detailed information on this update, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4460 .

There isn't much there. According to what I saw, the 10.6.6 update is a futile update !

What are the fixed bugs ?
  • Reply 123 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

For detailed information on this update, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4460 .

at the risk of sounding redundant, the above link does not answer the question. It is specific to changes in the Server 10.6.6 and does not list any of the client changes. At the end it says "also includes all improvements delivered in the client" ....and redirects to HT4459. Which is still blank.
  • Reply 124 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jetlife2 View Post

at the risk of sounding redundant, the above link does not answer the question. It is specific to changes in the Server 10.6.6 and does not list any of the client changes. At the end it says "also includes all improvements delivered in the client" ....and redirects to HT4459. Which is still blank.

it's not blank...open in safari..or try another browser..
  • Reply 125 of 251
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 126 of 251
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kali View Post

There isn't much there. According to what I saw, the 10.6.6 update is a futile update !

What are the fixed bugs ?

I thought you would.

But for the Mac App Store, I beg to differ.

For those interested why, I would suggest that the folks at Pixelmator represent most of the Apple development community and those of us that appreciate Apple and its offerings.

Pixelmator; Transition to the Mac App Store http://www.pixelmator.com/transition/
  • Reply 127 of 251
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    This is nice... I already own Unison from Panic Software and when I look it up in the App Store it says "installed" even though I didn't buy it through the App Store. Does this mean I will get updates through there from now on? Hope so.

Edit: First purchase = Smultron programmer's editor
  • Reply 128 of 251
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

This is nice... I already own Unison from Panic Software and when I look it up in the App Store it says "installed" even though I didn't buy it through the App Store. Does this mean I will get updates through there from now on? Hope so.

As posted:

Quote:

Keep your apps up to date.

Since developers are constantly improving their apps, the App Store for Mac keeps track of your apps and tells you when an update is available. Update one app at a time or all of them at once, and you?ll always have the latest version of every app you own.

http://www.apple.com/mac/app-store/

Anyone that hasn't perused the two pages on the Mac App Store should. Then perhaps half the questions here would have been unnecessary.
  • Reply 129 of 251
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    The App Store is great.

I upgraded to 10.6.6 and bought Aperture and Page from the App Store on my iMac.

I then upgrade my MacBook and logged into the App Store, low and behold both Aperture and Pages are there, I just clicked on Install and I now have both titles on both computers, for the same low price!!!!!

Aperture was £174 per computer this morning, this afternoon I have it on both machines for £44.99, now that is progress.

Ian
  • Reply 130 of 251
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Edit: First purchase = Smultron programmer's editor

Yes you should get updates via the App Store if the App is recognised as installed.
  • Reply 131 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

We'll be reminiscing in years to come about the smell of the new box and packaging back in the old days

reminiscing
  • Reply 132 of 251
    Quote:

My current number one wish is a really, really awesome update to iWeb, maybe even iWeb Pro.

It's here:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rapid...02477569?mt=12

Seriously...it's so much better and worth every penny. Just wait a day or two because there's been a problem with the themes not downloading with the app. Should be an easy fix.
  • Reply 133 of 251
    Quote:

Just curious, why would you want to download what you already have?

After signing in with my Apple ID and taking a quick look around, I thought I would install Evernote. I already had Evernote on my Mac. After installing it through the app store, Evernote is the only app showing up as 'installed' under the 'Purchases' tab. I have many apps on Mac. I'd like to see them all in one place in the App Store. It seems silly to have to re-download apps to get them to show up there. I haven't tried downloading a purchased app. When I do, I'm hoping the App Store won't charge me for something I already own. I'd like the App Store to already know that I own it. Does that make sense? If you have any tips or suggestions, please let me know.
  • Reply 134 of 251
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post

FinalCut is a mega-sized app. Can't imagine they would make it available for download...

The Final Cut Studio is over 30GB for sure but the individual apps in the suite only come to 5GB or so when installed without the templates and extras. Individually the apps are smaller still around 1GB or under. Apple could sell them separately and have an online template gallery that you can browse and download the ones you want when you need them.

Selling FCS for £499 would seriously put people off buying Premiere or Avid no matter how crusty it gets.

This should help drive down the cost of Mac games as well as other software.
  • Reply 135 of 251
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    All I have done with the new store is read about it. WIll be updating and going for a test run soon. It does look pretty spiffy. A really nice mac feature.

One thing I am curious about, and wonder if anyone has tried. As we all know, OSX has multiple user profiles built in to it. If I login to a mac with my user ID, assuming I am an administrator of the mac, and download a mac app/program with my Apple ID, will that app/program be available to all other users on that machine? Seems like maybe there are some license issues with that.
  • Reply 136 of 251
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoe-Bob View Post

After signing in with my Apple ID and taking a quick look around, I thought I would install Evernote. I already had Evernote on my Mac. After installing it through the app store, Evernote is the only app showing up as 'installed' under the 'Purchases' tab. I have many apps on Mac. I'd like to see them all in one place in the App Store. It seems silly to have to re-download apps to get them to show up there. I haven't tried downloading a purchased app. When I do, I'm hoping the App Store won't charge me for something I already own. I'd like the App Store to already know that I own it. Does that make sense? If you have any tips or suggestions, please let me know.

"Does that make sense" ? Not a lot to be honest

Why did you re purchase something you already had? BTW it will charge you for something you already own if it is a third party application. Only those Apps you buy from Apple will show up in the updates section I suspect.
  • Reply 137 of 251
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoe-Bob View Post

I'd like the App Store to already know that I own [an app].

Second. That would be a great feature, and seems easy enough to implement? Steve?
  • Reply 138 of 251
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

Yes you should get updates via the App Store if the App is recognised as installed.

That's what I would have thought, but just checking with the Panic blog they say that even though it is recognized as installed, updates won't come through because it's a separate license.

http://www.panic.com/blog/
  • Reply 139 of 251
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

All I have done with the new store is read about it. WIll be updating and going for a test run soon. It does look pretty spiffy. A really nice mac feature.

One thing I am curious about, and wonder if anyone has tried. As we all know, OSX has multiple user profiles built in to it. If I login to a mac with my user ID, assuming I am an administrator of the mac, and download a mac app/program with my Apple ID, will that app/program be available to all other users on that machine? Seems like maybe there are some license issues with that.

Not 100% sure but my bet is yes. Apps are in the root apps folder not user. It would fit in with the Apple attitude to this I'd think.
  • Reply 140 of 251
    Quote:

"Does that make sense" ? Not a lot to be honest

Why did you re purchase something you already had? BTW it will charge you for something you already own if it is a third party application. Only those Apps you buy from Apple will show up in the updates section I suspect.

Evernote was a free app, so I there was no risk of being charged. I would like to know what it recognizes as "apps". I have iPhoto etc and iWork. How do I get those apps to show up in the App Store?