Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.6 with Mac App Store

Comments

• Reply 141 of 251
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Second. That would be a great feature, and seems easy enough to implement? Steve?

You'd have the screams of privacy invasion ringing out from the hill tops though. Think of all the millions of bootlegs in use. If the Apps store looked at your applications folder and reported to the mothership there would be law suits.
  • Reply 142 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoe-Bob View Post

Evernote was a free app, so I there was no risk of being charged. I would like to know what it recognizes as "apps". I have iPhoto etc and iWork. How do I get those apps to show up in the App Store?

My iLife and iWorks show as already owned. Did you have the iApps in their original location as installed by the installation process? If you renamed or moved them or enclosing folders that messes it up. Also perhaps they need to be registered?
  • Reply 143 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I suspect the Mac app store only detects apps purchased from the Mac app store.

Not so. It sees almost everyone of my non-Apple, non-App Store installed apps.
  • Reply 144 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

My iLife and iWorks show as already owned. Did you have the iApps in their original location as installed by the installation process? If you renamed or moved them or enclosing folders that messes it up. Also perhaps they need to be registered?

After I installed my purchased and licensed software, I didn't move them. I get updates with the "Software Updates" when needed. I would think that the App Store should see these?
  • Reply 145 of 251
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

Installed and fully operational.

NO NEW IWORK 11. Just the old one.

Sad face for now new iWork.

Can't wait to get home and see what's on the store.
  • Reply 146 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

Just like every CORPORATION, Apple's first priority is to provide the largest possible return to their SHAREHOLDERS. ...

This is a political statement not a statement of fact.

Just sayin.
  • Reply 147 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffhrsn View Post

Not so. It sees almost everyone of my non-Apple, non-App Store installed apps.

Should the App Store recognize everything that is in your Applications folder that has a .app extension? Things like QuickTime Player.app, Photo Booth.app, iTunes.app, Stickies.app, Preview.app, etc?
  • Reply 148 of 251
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It seems like "installed" and "purchased" are two separate concepts here. Purchased means it was bought through the App Store and you get automatic updates and the ability to install on multiple Macs. Installed could mean that, or it could mean it was just an app you previously owned, in which case you don't get centralised updates and multi-mac install.
  • Reply 149 of 251
    I have to say the App Store sure is fast. I guess having a 3GHz processor and a wired Ethernet makes a difference over my iPad.
  • Reply 150 of 251
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Taking bets on the big announcements for CES 2012.

THE SONY APP STORE

I have an idea, they could call it the PSN

Oh wait...
  • Reply 151 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It seems like "installed" and "purchased" are two separate concepts here. Purchased means it was bought through the App Store and you get automatic updates and the ability to install on multiple Macs. Installed could mean that, or it could mean it was just an app you previously owned, in which case you don't get centralised updates and multi-mac install.

In looking at it again, the free Evernote app that I downloaded is showing up under the 'Purchases' tab as installed. When I go to categories and browse what is for sale, I see that it's recognizing some of my apps as installed. Rather than listing the price for the app or the word 'free', it says 'installed'. I wish there were a simple way for me to view only the apps that are installed on my Mac rather than having to decipher what's installed by browsing through the Store. Any thoughts?
  • Reply 152 of 251
    Quote:

In looking at it again, the free Evernote app that I downloaded is showing up under the 'Purchases' tab as installed. When I go to categories and browse what is for sale, I see that it's recognizing some of my apps as installed. Rather than listing the price for the app or the word 'free', it says 'installed'. I wish there were a simple way for me to view only the apps that are installed on my Mac rather than having to decipher what's installed by browsing through the Store. Any thoughts?

Umm, go to your Apps folder?
  • Reply 153 of 251
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonygoodchild View Post

Not seeing anything in Software Update here.

Are you running Snow Leopard? App store is not for previous OS versions.
  • Reply 154 of 251
    Quote:

I wish there were a simple way for me to view only the apps that are installed on my Mac rather than having to decipher what's installed by browsing through the Store. Any thoughts?

I would like this too, I hope it comes with a future update. The only thing I can think of for now is somehow use Spotlight to find all apps but I don't know really.
  • Reply 155 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aestival View Post

No new version of iWork sucks... a lot.

Good things happen to those who wait. ....
  • Reply 156 of 251
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post

FinalCut is a mega-sized app. Can't imagine they would make it available for download...

Note that Apple is fine with pushing out a minor x.x.1 update at 600MB for the current iPhone and theire developer tools are more than a GB and updated often. I don?t think size is an issue.
  • Reply 157 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by speedxdesign View Post

Umm, go to your Apps folder?

I don't see an "apps folder" in the App Store. I do know where my Applications Folder is on my Mac. Should the App Store recognize everything that is in your Applications folder that has a .app extension? Things like QuickTime Player.app, Photo Booth.app, iTunes.app, Stickies.app, Preview.app, etc?

Some things that I own are listed as 'Installed', and others are not. For example, 'Installed' are Numbers, Keynote & Pages. It wants me to pay for things I already own like iPhoto, iMovie, OmniFocus for Mac, and Things. Is there a simple step I'm missing? I'd like the App Store to recognize what I already own.
  • Reply 158 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Note that Apple is fine with pushing out a minor x.x.1 update at 600MB for the current iPhone and theire developer tools are more than a GB and updated often. I don?t think size is an issue.

Agreed and no doubt there will be an option for the shipped version on those larger apps for those who are internet challenged, no doubt at a higher price plus shipping.
  • Reply 159 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is a political statement not a statement of fact.

Just sayin.

Agreed. Business for publicly owned companies is a balance between share holders and customers and personally I think Apple do an amazing job at both.
  • Reply 160 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Adobe has to be freaking.

I'll say ... Pixelmator for $30.00 ... ya gotta luv it!