Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.6 with Mac App Store

Comments

• Reply 161 of 251
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

Just like every CORPORATION, Apple's first priority is to provide the largest possible return to their SHAREHOLDERS. Everything else is a means to that end.

Apple makes huge profit margins off most of their products, because they have the infrastructure of a much smaller company. Steve Jobs said it himself: he has to take programmers off one project and have them focus on others.

We consumers are paying exorberant prices for these products because we expect them to work. <--- PERIOD!! Anything else defeats the purpose.

Apple needs to expand (and expend some profit on) Quality Assurance and increase its programming force.

Last time I checked Apple lead the industry in all of your suggestions.
  • Reply 162 of 251
    Here is my question answered by Panic regarding lack of anyway to upgrade an existing app via the Apple Apps Store

On Jan 6, 2011, at 7:49 AM,

Hi,

I have version 3 of Transmit and know I can get 45% discount via your web site. However, I was curious to know is the Apple's web able to offer the discount subject to the valid version 3 serial?

Thanks

REPLY:

Unfortunately there is no discount if you purchase on the App Store. We have no way to do that.

Les
  • Reply 163 of 251
    I tried installing with updater and by DLing the dmg. But it failed to install.\

Digging in the console message, I get:

11.01.06 13:31:36 \tinstalld[236]\tPackageKit: Install Failed: (null)

Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=114 UserInfo=0x1020c6da0 "An error occurred while setting up files for deferred installation." Underlying Error=(Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 UserInfo=0x10537e950 "You don?t have permission to save the file ?rc.deferred_install? in the folder ?etc?." Underlying Error=(Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 "The operation couldn?t be completed. Operation not permitted")) {

NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while setting up files for deferred installation.";

NSUnderlyingError = "Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 UserInfo=0x10537e950 \\"You don\\U2019t have permission to save the file \\U201crc.deferred_install\\U201d in the folder \\U201cetc\\U201d.\\" Underlying Error=(Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 \\"The operation couldn\\U2019t be completed. Operation not permitted\\")";

}

Repaired permissions. Still no success. Anyone els
  • Reply 164 of 251
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

In Sweden, Aperture 3 is 599 SEK in the new App Store while still in apple store web page it's 1999 SEK.

Some boxes to scrap...

Out of interest, which tax rate do they use in the Swedish App Store, Swedens or Irelands?
  • Reply 165 of 251
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    Finally, the update info page isn't blank anymore :

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4459

That's all there is to 10.6.5 -> 10.6.6 ??

Geez, this is the most minor update I ever saw from Apple.

Not worth the download !
  • Reply 166 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kali View Post

Finally, the update info page isn't blank anymore :

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4459

That's all there is to 10.6.5 -> 10.6.6 ??

Geez, this is the most minor update I ever saw from Apple.

Not worth the download !

What part of it is obviously required to run the apps store is eluding you?
  • Reply 167 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alanbrowne View Post

I tried installing with updater and by DLing the dmg. But it failed to install.\

Digging in the console message, I get:

11.01.06 13:31:36 \tinstalld[236]\tPackageKit: Install Failed: (null)

Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=114 UserInfo=0x1020c6da0 "An error occurred while setting up files for deferred installation." Underlying Error=(Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 UserInfo=0x10537e950 "You don?t have permission to save the file ?rc.deferred_install? in the folder ?etc?." Underlying Error=(Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 "The operation couldn?t be completed. Operation not permitted")) {

NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while setting up files for deferred installation.";

NSUnderlyingError = "Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 UserInfo=0x10537e950 \\"You don\\U2019t have permission to save the file \\U201crc.deferred_install\\U201d in the folder \\U201cetc\\U201d.\\" Underlying Error=(Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 \\"The operation couldn\\U2019t be completed. Operation not permitted\\")";

}

Repaired permissions. Still no success. Anyone els

Are you logged in as administrator?
  • Reply 168 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I'll say ... Pixelmator for $30.00 ... ya gotta luv it!

I must check it out.
  • Reply 169 of 251
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoe-Bob View Post

Should the App Store recognize everything that is in your Applications folder that has a .app extension? Things like QuickTime Player.app, Photo Booth.app, iTunes.app, Stickies.app, Preview.app, etc?

No.

If it does recognize any apps, they first have to be listed in the Mac App Store.
  • Reply 170 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Are you logged in as administrator?

Yes. The message I describe could not occur if the update were not underway.

The update requires the admin PW which I entered. The error occurs deep into the update proper.
  • Reply 171 of 251
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

AND they were all working on it since 1908

Brilliant!
  • Reply 172 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Out of interest, which tax rate do they use in the Swedish App Store, Swedens or Irelands?

I have to ask ... I don't get the Ireland bit?
  • Reply 173 of 251
    Quote:

Yes. The message I describe could not occur if the update were not underway.

The update requires the admin PW which I entered. The error occurs deep into the update proper.

K, just checking. It sounded like an admin / privs issue. Have you tried booting to an alternative drive and using this as a slave to update? Also anything been manually locked? Enough space left? I've seen temp orphaned PS files (invisible) take up massive space.
  • Reply 174 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoe-Bob View Post

I don't see an "apps folder" in the App Store. I do know where my Applications Folder is on my Mac. Should the App Store recognize everything that is in your Applications folder that has a .app extension? Things like QuickTime Player.app, Photo Booth.app, iTunes.app, Stickies.app, Preview.app, etc?

In looking at it again, the free Evernote app that I downloaded is showing up under the 'Purchases' tab as installed. When I go to categories and browse what is for sale, I see that it's recognizing some of my apps as installed. Rather than listing the price for the app or the word 'free', it says 'installed'. I wish there were a simple way for me to view only the apps that are installed on my Mac rather than having to decipher what's installed by browsing through the Store. Any thoughts?

Some things that I own are listed as 'Installed', and others are not. For example, 'Installed' are Numbers, Keynote & Pages. It wants me to pay for things I already own like iPhoto, iMovie, OmniFocus for Mac, and Things. Is there a simple step I'm missing? I'd like the App Store to recognize what I already own.

I just got this feedback from Macworld:

"Unfortunately, aside from Apple's apps, the Mac App Store will not recognize or acknowledge licenses for third-party apps that you already own. Some third-party apps appear as "installed" in the store right now, but that's a technical hiccup; they will not be updated by the Mac App Store unless you trash your existing non-store version and re-purchase from the store.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Apple simply isn't offering a transition system for developers. Developers would obviously love to transition your existing licenses into the store, but it simply isn't possible.

This will all be covered in our Mac App Store FAQ posts, which are coming soon. Stay tuned."
  • Reply 175 of 251
    Quote:

K, just checking. It sounded like an admin / privs issue. Have you tried booting to an alternative drive and using this as a slave to update? Also anything been manually locked?

"Manually locked"?

I'm not setup to boot from an alternate drive (I have TM backups, but can't boot from those). I'm thinking of rolling back (re-installing system from TM state of a couple days ago).

Or - I'll just wait and see if Apple quietly update 10.6.6 in a couple days. I've reported the issue to them.
  • Reply 176 of 251
    Anyone having trouble signing in to the App Store with their AppleID?

The link to sign in doesn't do anything.

Conversely, on my work Mac, I'm able to get a sign in dialog to pop up.
  • Reply 177 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

25%. In Sweden. And it goes for both Mac App store as well as any other "channel". Ireland I don't know about.
  • Reply 178 of 251
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

It is obvious that you don't think at all. IMO.

Funny, I understood the OP and agreed with him. Maybe some remedial reading classes would help you with basic comprehension?
  • Reply 179 of 251
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Here is my question answered by Panic regarding lack of anyway to upgrade an existing app via the Apple Apps Store

On Jan 6, 2011, at 7:49 AM,

Hi,

I have version 3 of Transmit and know I can get 45% discount via your web site. However, I was curious to know is the Apple's web able to offer the discount subject to the valid version 3 serial?

Thanks

REPLY:

Unfortunately there is no discount if you purchase on the App Store. We have no way to do that.

Les

In other words .... We can't offer a discount PLUS pay Apple a 30% fee .... We'd rather give 45% to you ... than 30% to Apple. No way do we want the App store to suceed, so this is our way to keep you away from App store. ....
  • Reply 180 of 251
    Quote:

"Manually locked"?

I'm not setup to boot from an alternate drive (I have TM backups, but can't boot from those). I'm thinking of rolling back (re-installing system from TM state of a couple days ago).

Or - I'll just wait and see if Apple quietly update 10.6.6 in a couple days. I've reported the issue to them.

Items can be locked in the get info window.

If you have space on your drive you can partition with Disk Utils and make a small volume and install your OS X you have on that, boot to that and access the main volume as a slave. Obviously an additional HD would be preferable and always good to have for making emergency boot volume and a clone of your internal. TM is wonderful but not a replacement for a clone that can be booted and accessed in situations like this. I always have a clone and a TM.