Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.6 with Mac App Store

Comments

• Reply 181 of 251
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

In other words .... We can't offer a discount PLUS pay Apple a 30% fee .... We'd rather give 45% to you ... than 30% to Apple. No way do we want the App store to suceed, so this is our way to keep you away from App store. ....

Yep good point, but perhaps you misunderstand my reason for posting. I agree I can't expect both. However a message for those eligible for upgrades and a link to a landing page on the programer's site would be good. I was wanting to warn others to be careful if they are eligible. I already had an email from Panic agreeing with me.
  • Reply 182 of 251
    Lots of developers also offer education discounts, and so does Apple. But there is no separate App store for education, right, or is there?

(Just now, shocked to see the price of BBEdit)
  • Reply 183 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

My current number one wish is a really, really awesome update to iWeb, maybe even iWeb Pro.

iWeb Pro has been renamed Coda.
  • Reply 184 of 251
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Yep good point, but perhaps you misunderstand my reason for posting. I agree I can't expect both. However a message for those eligible for upgrades and a link to a landing page on the programer's site would be good. I was wanting to warn others to be careful if they are eligible. I already had an email from Panic agreeing with me.

Honestly, my "rant" was not meant to be against you but rather at the "short sighted" developers who don't have the vision of a Steve Jobs. It will be interesting to see how many resisting developers will "capitulate" once the app store has the unparalleled success of which I'm certain... cheers ....
  • Reply 185 of 251
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

We'll be reminiscing in years to come about the smell of the new box and packaging back in the old days

Yeah, remember those nice black Apple t-shirts we used to get with the annual $500 dev account renewal - that now only costs $99. The shirt was always too small anyway. It is better just to have a cheaper price, right?
  • Reply 186 of 251
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

iWeb Pro has been renamed Coda.

ditto that.
  • Reply 187 of 251
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Quote:

You'd have the screams of privacy invasion ringing out from the hill tops though. Think of all the millions of bootlegs in use. If the Apps store looked at your applications folder and reported to the mothership there would be law suits.

I was thinking more of entering that information myself voluntarily so i get updates and discounts. But as to the bootlegs, you have no privacy right to commit a crime or a tort.
  • Reply 188 of 251
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is a political statement not a statement of fact.

Just sayin.

It is an accurate statement of the law.
  • Reply 189 of 251
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kavok View Post

Then why isn't the App Store recognizing that I have the latest version installed? The only thing it recognizes apparently is the iLife apps.

It recognises mine, pages, numbers etc show as "installed".

I wonder why $US12.99 becomes $A17.99 for iPhoto, when at the current exchange rate $US12.99 = $A12.97, we have a GST of 10% which is the only possible tax that can be levied and that doesn't apply to overseas purchases.

The Australia add five bucks Apple tax.

At least $A54 is better than $A79 for the set.
  • Reply 190 of 251
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alanbrowne View Post

I tried installing with updater and by DLing the dmg. But it failed to install.\

Digging in the console message, I get:

11.01.06 13:31:36 \tinstalld[236]\tPackageKit: Install Failed: (null)

Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=114 UserInfo=0x1020c6da0 "An error occurred while setting up files for deferred installation." Underlying Error=(Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 UserInfo=0x10537e950 "You don?t have permission to save the file ?rc.deferred_install? in the folder ?etc?." Underlying Error=(Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 "The operation couldn?t be completed. Operation not permitted")) {

NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while setting up files for deferred installation.";

NSUnderlyingError = "Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 UserInfo=0x10537e950 \\"You don\\U2019t have permission to save the file \\U201crc.deferred_install\\U201d in the folder \\U201cetc\\U201d.\\" Underlying Error=(Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 \\"The operation couldn\\U2019t be completed. Operation not permitted\\")";

}

Repaired permissions. Still no success. Anyone els

You may need the combo update:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1349
  • Reply 191 of 251
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Mac OS X v10.6.6 Update Combo @ http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1349 [1.06 GB]

Mac OS X v10.6.6 Update @ http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1343 [143 MB]

• Reply 192 of 251
    Angry Birds isn't working....anyone else having this problem????
  • Reply 193 of 251
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

It is obvious that you don't think at all. IMO.

"Sometimes I sets and I thinks. Sometimes I jus' sets!

A computer is just a thing to play games on after all .. right?
  • Reply 194 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

it took a decade to get 20,000 apps on apple.com/downloads.

The Mac app store will probably hit the 20,000 mark in less than a year.

That's progress!

If my grandmother can figure out how to purchase Apps...that's progress!

Quite possible there will be close to that number in a year given the history of the other stores. What has been called into question and rightfully so in my view is: What kind of apps?

Those that qualify under the current guidelines can only be of the simplistic variety. In addition, there is no longer a referral process for anything outside the App store. That entire pool of developers together with their products has been locked out overnight.

Example: Do a search for "CAD". Under the old downloads format, you'd come up with over a dozen hits. Try it now. Zero hits. In a year from now, you will get a few. But none of the significant apps will ever show up. Because they install resources and use alternate licensing procedures than permitted.
  • Reply 195 of 251
    is not about promoting a thriving developer community. It's about channeling more profits into Apple's own coffers.
  • Reply 196 of 251
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

is not about promoting a thriving developer community. It's about channeling more profits into Apple's own coffers.

Then don't develop for it and stay out of rational discussions about it.
  • Reply 197 of 251
    Post deleted by poster.

Reason: Put mouth in gear before engaging brain.
  • Reply 198 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Then don't develop for it and stay out of rational discussions about it.

on this board. If you are going to make comment, keep it to the subject. You do not know shit about me or the basis of my comment any more than I know you.

I've been using Apple computers for professional design work since 1994. I'm one of those fanatics who kept them afloat when everyone else bailed and was cheering on their demise.

I have seen the developer community grow then collapse then grow again. And I am nobody's fool when it comes to what goes on in the market.

Evidently my comment was a bit too spot on for your self interested tastes.
  • Reply 199 of 251
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

I am actually dead set against this as I consider it an invasion of privacy. I really don't like it that Apple can now see exactly what apps I have installed. That's none of their business, period. There's no Prefs at all, much less any way you can turn off this invasive spyware except to quit the application.

The application itself has a lot of promise and I expect that I'll be using it but for now, it's in the trash.

*ugh* I bet you don't use iTunes either, because it knows what music and videos are on your computer. Nor iPhoto because it can find your pictures for you.

The App Store is no different.
  • Reply 200 of 251
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

I have to ask ... I don't get the Ireland bit?

Apple used to charge the digital software downloads in Europe out of Ireland, so used the VAT rate in Ireland rather than the country you live in, I was just wondering if this continues with the Apple Store.