Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.6 with Mac App Store

Comments

• Reply 221 of 251
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I haven't seen it documented anywhere, but Boot Camp Assistant seems to have changed in 10.6.6. It now tells you not to use the Windows drivers on the OS X restore disc and insists on downloading new ones.

Edit: actually it's quite buggy. Who are these clowns working on OS X these days, have all the A-listers gone to iOS?

Edit 2: It also *only* supports Windows 7 now. Has the Lion Boot Camp Assistant been included in 10.6.6 by mistake?
  • Reply 222 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Edit: actually it's quite buggy. Who are these clowns working on OS X these days, have all the A-listers gone to iOS?

Edit 2: It also *only* supports Windows 7 now. Has the Lion Boot Camp Assistant been included in 10.6.6 by mistake?

Hmm, I have windows xp on the other partition, can I continue to use it with OSX 10.6.6 or does the new bootcamp render it useless and asks for Windows 7?

If so, I won't do the update.
  • Reply 223 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kavok View Post

Then why isn't the App Store recognizing that I have the latest version installed? The only thing it recognizes apparently is the iLife apps.

According to Macworld, the fact that the App Store is recognizing your iLife apps is a mistake. They said this: "Some third-party apps appear as "installed" in the store right now, but that's a technical hiccup; they will not be updated by the Mac App Store unless you trash your existing non-store version and re-purchase from the store."
  • Reply 224 of 251
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    It's snappier?!
  • Reply 225 of 251
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post

Hmm, I have windows xp on the other partition, can I continue to use it with OSX 10.6.6 or does the new bootcamp render it useless and asks for Windows 7?

I doubt it will effect an existing install, but I can't be sure.

This just seems to be the latest in Apple's cost cutting for the Mac. First the in-house Java is cancelled, then the Xserve, and now Boot Camp only supports Windows 7.
  • Reply 226 of 251
    z3r0z3r0 Posts: 238member
    How about some consistency! This goof up is up there with the first release of Mac OS X that had the Apple Menu in the center, Safari tabs on top and the vertical close, minimize and zoom buttons in iTunes 10!

Attention to detail counts!

• Reply 227 of 251
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post

Aperture 3 is just 79.99? The box copy is 199.99. I wonder if this is a promotional price or the new permanent price...

This news has been making rounds in the feeds that I watch, and frankly, that's a very good price.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by weckbeckheck View Post

Combo Update? Anybody has a link for me? Couldn't find anything in Apple Download Section.

Oh, and where is iWork '11? I thought this was their showcase app. Update needed. iWork is nice but very incomplete compared to MS Office 2011. If I don't get iWork '11 i'll go back to MS Office. The 2011 version is pretty good.

For the cost, it's really hard to beat. I have quibbles with iWork, but I have bigger issues with the other major software.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomohr View Post

ugh, why do I have to be at work

The Mac App store is nice, but not worth altering a day's plans to try it out a few hours earlier.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

I doubt there will be many complaints. Apple customers have long expressed their preference for curation with iOS.

There will always be complaints, from people that didn't express this preference.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Aperture at $80? Now I'm debating between iPhoto and Aperture. Damn, the curse of abundant choice!

If you have an SLR, get Aperture instead of iPhoto. If you have no plans for an SLR, then iPhoto is probably the better bet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post

FinalCut is a mega-sized app. Can't imagine they would make it available for download...

I think the whole studio is on 7 DVDs. I recall a lot of that is media, the equivalent of clip art.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Unfortunately the once fantastic OmniGroup insists on ripping everyone off for their stuff and a lot of other developers have followed suit. There is no way the average person is going to buy an $80.00 item, sight unseen, based on a two paragraph description and a couple of screen shots. No one but a fool would buy "Bejeweled" for 20 bucks, etc. etc. Let's hope the prices even out a bit lower than what we see now.

$20 for Bejeweled is silly. It's the same price as the retail copy that I've seen in stores. I hope they have a plausible reason, such as contractual obligations. The game is fun, but it isn't worth more than $5 IMO.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungleland26 View Post

I'd be fine with a TM restore.....but I'll be going back in history. I want to keep my current apps, my currents docs etc... I suppose I could move them to my raid array, but I wonder if that will impact my registrations/activations on them when I move back to the fresh OS....

I'd restore to a different drive, and use Migration Assistant to bring in your newest apps, files, etc. from your newest drive. I have done this before.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kali View Post

I tried the App Store app, and really it's lame in its current state ! MacUpdate and VersionTracker are MUCH better, when you want to browse apps. I don't understand all the buzz about the App Store. The only advantages I see are some reduced prices and the ability to get an app more directly.

Please give it time. It's only been a day from public unveiling. I think the story will be different a month from now, and more so in the coming months.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kavok View Post

Then why isn't the App Store recognizing that I have the latest version installed? The only thing it recognizes apparently is the iLife apps.

Odd. It recognizes my iWork apps.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is a political statement not a statement of fact.

Just sayin.

Is it? I don't think it's a political statement at all. Most capitallist companies exist to make money and to provide a return to its investors.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

In other words .... We can't offer a discount PLUS pay Apple a 30% fee .... We'd rather give 45% to you ... than 30% to Apple. No way do we want the App store to suceed, so this is our way to keep you away from App store. ....

That's true, but I think it's probably also true that there isn't a mechanism to offer discounts. The Mac App store is a new system, and I think it will be added as time goes on. Apple usually starts out very simple then adds features and controls.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

Example: Do a search for "CAD". Under the old downloads format, you'd come up with over a dozen hits. Try it now. Zero hits. In a year from now, you will get a few. But none of the significant apps will ever show up. Because they install resources and use alternate licensing procedures than permitted.

Google & Bing are good ways to find apps. There are several other means

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

I'm with you. Apple should EOL FCE (It's super deprecated anyway) and unbundle the Final Cut Studio on Mac App Store, sell the individual Apps for, say about £99.99 a pop (Average. FCP - or rather, Final Cut as it would presumably be renamed with the axing of FCE - might go for something similar to the old FCE price of £130 for example, £150 tops) and laugh all the way to the bank. AVID, Sony and Adobe won't be able to touch them at those prices.

But, and I can't stress this enough, not until they've got a 64-Bit Cocoa, GCD-enabled (And preferably hardware-accelerated) build of Final Cut. Mainly because I refuse to buy another Final Cut reference release until they've done that. I'm hoping they're putting it out with Lion, or shortly after.

FCP isn't for the consumer audience though, I don't see the point in pricing all pro software the same way as a consumer software. Set the entry bar too low, and I think the new buyers will arrive with unrealistic expectations and push Apple to dumb it down.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Agreed. I don't care how cheap FCP gets. Until they catch up with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 (and they never will, since Premiere Pro can encode and burn BD-R and Apple is against Blu-Ray) in features and performance, I won't use it!

And yes, I own Adobe Premiere Pro CS5, so I know what I'm talking about. That Mercury Engine is impressive.

FCP does offer basic Blu-Ray encoding, did you mean the full authoring?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

I doubt Adobe is "freaking". Their product is geared towards professionals, and Lightroom is the dominant software (along with Photoshop/Camera Raw) amongst professional photographers.

Do you have any figures on Aperture vs. Lightroom installed base?
  • Reply 228 of 251
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

If you have an SLR, get Aperture instead of iPhoto. If you have no plans for an SLR, then iPhoto is probably the better bet.

Since some of the P&S cameras have "grown up" with SLR-type features like manual control and native raw file support (the S95 and G12 are very good, as are others), I'd amend that to say, "iPhoto is probably the better bet, and when you outgrow iPhoto then move up to Aperture".

As more of the EVIL cameras (Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens) such as the mirrorless Micro Four Thirds systems get into the mainstream, I think we'll see a greater need for Aperture over iPhoto. (In the interest of disclosure, I'm a huge Lightroom fan and have no plans to switch back to Aperture.)

Quote:

I don't but, anecdotally, the people who have both a dSLR and a Mac that would be inclined to pay $199 for Aperture can talk themselves into paying $299 for Lightroom (and both have full function 30-day trial versions available). Whether those same people will make the jump from a $79 Aperture to a $299 Lightroom may be a different story.

I won't have time until this weekend to catch up on any of the Lightroom and digital photography blogs and forums I follow; it'll be interesting to see how that price difference shakes out over the next week or two. If nothing else, Adobe will have to do something about the fact that the full Aperture is $20 cheaper than the current Lightroom 3 upgrade...
  • Reply 229 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoe-Bob View Post

According to Macworld, the fact that the App Store is recognizing your iLife apps is a mistake. They said this: "Some third-party apps appear as "installed" in the store right now, but that's a technical hiccup; they will not be updated by the Mac App Store unless you trash your existing non-store version and re-purchase from the store."

What part of "third-party" don't you understand?
  • Reply 230 of 251
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Since some of the P&S cameras have "grown up" with SLR-type features like manual control and native raw file support (the S95 and G12 are very good, as are others), I'd amend that to say, "iPhoto is probably the better bet, and when you outgrow iPhoto then move up to Aperture".

As more of the EVIL cameras (Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens) such as the mirrorless Micro Four Thirds systems get into the mainstream, I think we'll see a greater need for Aperture over iPhoto. (In the interest of disclosure, I'm a huge Lightroom fan and have no plans to switch back to Aperture.)

You're right, I tend to think of u43/etc. as more a baby SLR than a "grown up" P&S because of the interchangable lenses. I don't think it's a slam on my part to call it "baby SLR" either, I own a couple u43 cameras as well as a couple SLRs, having much of the power in a smaller package is very useful.

I think I'd amend my recommendation to be if your camera records raw images and you're interesting in stepping up, then consider Aperture.

Quote:

I won't have time until this weekend to catch up on any of the Lightroom and digital photography blogs and forums I follow; it'll be interesting to see how that price difference shakes out over the next week or two. If nothing else, Adobe will have to do something about the fact that the full Aperture is $20 cheaper than the current Lightroom 3 upgrade...

I can see that. I think that might change the equation.
  • Reply 231 of 251
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    I don't use any credit card. So I can't even download the free apps from the MAS. What a useless piece of crap !
  • Reply 232 of 251
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I don't use any credit card. So I can't even download the free apps from the MAS. What a useless piece of crap !

PayPal, debit card and there is another way around it if you create a new ID.
  • Reply 233 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PayPal, debit card and there is another way around it if you create a new ID.

Without a credit card ? How ?
  • Reply 234 of 251
    Quote:

By... creating a new ID. Did you read his post?

Years ago you could make an account without a credit card, and they've apparently brought that back. I still have my original one, so you can make a new one and do it.
  • Reply 235 of 251
    I already tried creating a new ID. It asks for a credit card.
  • Reply 236 of 251
    Quote:

Here are two walkthroughs.
  • Reply 237 of 251
    Quote:

Here are two walkthroughs.

Geez it is incredibly badly done ! I followed all the steps, and I always get the same : it asks for a credit card, and there isn't any "no credit card" option !
  • Reply 238 of 251
    Quote:

Geez it is unbelievable badly done ! I followed all the steps, and I always get the same : it asks for a credit card, and there isn't any "no credit card" option !

Maybe they?ve changed it. Here?s another avenue you can try?
  • Reply 239 of 251
    Quote:

Maybe they?ve changed it.

Thanks for your help, solipsim.

I'm really in a bad mood at Apple right now. What I see on my computers is inconsistent with the help I get at the Apple site. Many things are actually different. They goofed with that 10.6.6 upgrade !

I HATE this Mac Apple Store. What a huge piece of crap !
  • Reply 240 of 251
    Quote:

Here's one from 2009:

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2009/09...erture_09.html

It's an adobe blog, but the figures come from an independent polling organization, with a sample group of over a thousand professional photographers.

While I suspect the overall numbers are somewhat closer, Adobe really does dominate among professionals. With the apple pricing and most recent shift in Aperture's priorities, I think they've basically given up the pro segment and are shooting for the "prosumer" one...