Evidence points to Apple launch of Verizon iPhone on Feb. 3 - rumor

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With Apple quietly issuing a retail employee vacation blackout period in the coming weeks, a new rumor suggests the Verizon iPhone will coincide with a debut on Thursday, Feb. 3.

Citing a source "close to Apple," Boy Genius Report said on Thursday that Apple recently narrowed its blackout date for employee vacation requests to between Feb. 3 and Feb. 6, suggesting a product launch on Thursday, Feb. 3. The report also referenced AppleInsider's exclusive scoop this week that Apple has prohibited vacation days for some retail employees in a three-week span covering the last week in January and the first two weeks in February.

Last year, the iPhone 4 was also released on a Thursday, becoming available on June 24, 2010. The report noted that it is not "confirmed" that the Verizon iPhone will launch on Feb. 3, the apparent employee vacation blackout dates suggest it is a likely event.

Rumors of a Verizon iPhone have persisted for years, but numerous dates suggested for a product launch have come and gone while the iPhone has remained exclusive to AT&T in the U.S. But last June, Bloomberg reported that the iPhone would debut on Verizon in January 2011.

In the months following that report, numerous mainstream publications -- including The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, and Fortune -- also provided independent confirmation of an early 2011 launch timeframe.

This week, photos and video of a redesigned stainless steel frame claimed to be for a forthcoming iPhone were released online. The video showing the part was removed from YouTube after a legal complaint was filed by Apple.

The metal frame, which also serves as the antenna via the perimeter of the phone, has new placement of black "gaps." The current iPhone 4 has three gaps -- two on the side, one on top -- while the new parts spotted online have four gaps -- two on each side, and none on top.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Also 9-5mac is 'rumoring' Verizon employee training for an 'iconic device' at the end of the month.

http://www.9to5mac.com/category/ios-devices

Do you believe now?
  • Reply 2 of 63
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    It is about time for it to happen. However I am sticking with AT&T for 2 reasons. First, my unlimited data plan. Two, if some users leave to Verizon, there will be less network congestion for those of us who will stay with AT&T.

I am not going to Verizon, even though I am contract-free with AT&T.

Yes, No Verizon for me!!!
  • Reply 3 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

It is about time for it to happen. However I am sticking with AT&T ...

Another good reason is that it's unlikely Apple would allow the Verizon iPhone to steal thunder away from iPhone 5 (or iPhone 4G or whatever it's called). Therefore, this Verizon iPhone "won't be as good" in some way as the upcoming iPhone. if you don't *need* to change networks, I would wait a few months and see what the next GSM iPhone is like first.
  • Reply 4 of 63
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

The video showing the part was removed from YouTube after a legal complaint was filed by Apple.

Strong indication that the device was real. I am interested to see the internals of that device.
  • Reply 5 of 63
    If this really does happen, then I predict two things...

1. Verizon and it's touted network will get crushed by data needs just like AT&T was

2. Verizon's network will be well prepared because they've seen what the iPhone does to a network the last 3 years and everyone will easily forget that they've had all this extra time to prepare for the smart phone data barrages and blast AT&T even more than before.
  • Reply 6 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Also 9-5mac is 'rumoring' Verizon employee training for an 'iconic device' at the end of the month.

http://www.9to5mac.com/category/ios-devices

Do you believe now?

The people that haven?t believed for the last several months probably won?t until there is an official announcement from either company.

Quote:

It is about time for it to happen. However I am sticking with AT&T for 2 reasons. First, my unlimited data plan. Two, if some users leave to Verizon, there will be less network congestion for those of us who will stay with AT&T.

I am not going to Verizon, even though I am contract-free with AT&T.

Yes, No Verizon for me!!!

3) It?ll still be faster than Verizon?s network.

4) Simultaneous voice and data on 3G (though that might be changing).
  • Reply 7 of 63
    If true, it's pretty smart. Verizon subscribers will buy a CDMA iPhone 4 in February, then upgrade 5 months later to iPhone 5 in June!

Sure, most people won't... but there are always those that have to have the latest and greatest!
  • Reply 8 of 63
    Quote:

Two, if some users leave to Verizon, there will be less network congestion for those of us who will stay with AT&T.

I am really hoping this is the case.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

1. Verizon and it's touted network will get crushed by data needs just like AT&T was

2. Verizon's network will be well prepared because they've seen what the iPhone does to a network the last 3 years and everyone will easily forget that they've had all this extra time to prepare for the smart phone data barrages and blast AT&T even more than before.

so... not matter what happens, you were wrong.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    I agree with the posts above....I'm in no hurry to leave ATT. I hope that Verizon will be aggressive and market forces will "force" ATT to modify and lower their fees.

Overall, I'm pleased with ATT...first they kept and used the "rollover" minutes when they bought/merged with Cingular. They have allowed me to keep my "unlimited" data plan from my first iPhone purchase and lastly...they allowed me to upgrade to the iPhone 4 from a 3Gs that I had less than 10 months, which I sold for $200. So moving from the 3Gs to the superior iPhone 4 was a "wash" for me.

I realize they did it to keep me "locked-in," but I don't have a lot of confidence in Verizon's pricing plans.

It will be interesting to see how Verizon will handle the iPhone. It will definitely be a "cash cow" for them. As it is for ATT!

Best

I would like to see unlimited voice, text and data for $79/mo as opposed to the now $120 I'm paying to ATT/mo. I know, I'm dreaming!
  • Reply 11 of 63
    <sigh>

Or March, or April, or May, or not at all, or when LTE is out or when 6G comes ... who cares???
  • Reply 12 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Strong indication that the device was real. I am interested to see the internals of that device.

BS. If someone hacked up a fake iPhone frame and claimed it was real, Apple would still fire off a C&D to YouTube. Bottom line, no one speaks for Apple, but Apple.
  • Reply 13 of 63
    As much as I hope this is finally the release of it on verizon like others said to clear up congestion on AT&T this doesn't follow any of Apples previous release of a new product...They announce and a month or so later release it..I guess there's still time to announce it this month but it just seems strange that on the 3rd of February they will release a new phone? For all we know they could not let them take vacation cause they are doing inventory or something ...I will believe it when it's on the shelves...for two years now its been moving to verizon and hasn't yet.
  • Reply 14 of 63
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    i thought you only hype new TV's before Superbowl Sunday? maybe it's really sprint and there will be a NFL promotion to go with it?

i know people who work at verizon and they are putting their pets in a kennel that weekend. it means the iphone is coming to verizon
  • Reply 15 of 63
    Wouldn't it be better that the new iphone had a dual-core processor, 4G on AT&T's network, DLNA ready and WiFi Hotspot/Tethering/Call ability? You fanboys never seem to get priorities right.
  • Reply 16 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

I?m thinking Verizon will be fine and I think it?s more than just seeing what the iPhone did to AT&T that prepared them.

There is word that the iPhone was sending too many keep alive to the network thus saturating it more than it should, which compounded with the excessive units, especially in cities with many iPhones hitting one tower, the network was saturated even without the excuse of user data transmissions. This is believed to have been resolved in a more recent iOS 4.x update.

Verizon has been able to see what a data-heavy device can do to a network but more importantly they?ve been able to see it happen with the rise of "app phones? on their network.

Finally, they are moving away from Unlimited plans like everyone else. I have doubts that AT&T will keep their unlimited plans for current iPhone users once they have to change their contract. I think it can go either way based on number crunching of how many potential lose of customer who like the peace of mind for an extra $5/month but who aren?t, collectively, costing AT&T more than for the additional data they use. We?ll see.
  • Reply 17 of 63
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donarb View Post

BS. If someone hacked up a fake iPhone frame and claimed it was real, Apple would still fire off a C&D to YouTube. Bottom line, no one speaks for Apple, but Apple.

I guess you didn't see the video. Several independent sources showed the same antenna and internal frame.

History could repeat itself. Remember the iPhone 4 last year?!
  • Reply 18 of 63
    Saw this Editorial Cartoon.....funny.

Future Headlines:

Feb 3, "Verizon Finally Gets iPhone"

Feb 4, "Verizon's Network Now Sucks Too"
  • Reply 19 of 63
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    ... verizon's earning report is scheduled for january 25th. so the 2/3 date seems logical from the standpoint of ... get the earnings report taken care of and then launch the thing.
  • Reply 20 of 63
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

if some users leave to Verizon, there will be less network congestion for those of us who will stay with AT&T.

My issue isn't network congestion, it is lack of strong signal to start with. That won't change no matter how many users switch to Verizon. I'm pretty sure only using lower frequencies and installing more towers will solve that problem.