Star Wars Episode II vs Spider Man.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Which movie do you think will be the biggest hit of this summer?

I guess it would be spider man. Cause this is the very first time spider man go on big screen.

Star Wars? People will still go to watch it....but it's not fresh anymore...

[ 05-05-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    scott_h_phdscott_h_phd Posts: 448member
    Star Wars will make more money. But I'm sure Spider Man is the better movie.
  • Reply 2 of 46
    fonerootfoneroot Posts: 102member
    Well you right that Star Wars isn't fresh anymore. I frankly am getting bored over the series, but I think there are more Star Wars Fanatics then Spider Man ones so I will say Star Wars Episode II will win. That doesn't mean it will be the better movie though.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    It'll be a close one.

Episode I made $430 million off horrible "buzz". People were trashing the thing up and down, Jar-Jar and shitty little bastard Jack Lloyd made it the butt of many jokes and the marketing blitz alienated a lot of people.

This one, by all accounts, is a lot better film-wise and the marketing blitz isn't half of what Episode I's was. Jar-Jar has apparently been toned down quite a bit.

I'll be there soon after opening day to check out Episode II just like I did Spiderman. So the movie biz has got my $16 for both.

My prediction is that Spiderman makes gaudy amounts of money and so does AOTC. How's that?
  • Reply 4 of 46
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>Episode I made $430 million off horrible "buzz". People were trashing the thing up and down, Jar-Jar and shitty little bastard Jack Lloyd made it the butt of many jokes and the marketing blitz alienated a lot of people.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Heh, you're not wrong. It was a fairly unique occurrence - there was no way on earth that bad press was going to stop the public going to see a new Star Wars movie. I know in my case I still insisted on seeing it despite the critical reviews and friends who advised me to stay home and burn a $10 bill instead.

[quote]<strong>My prediction is that Spiderman makes gaudy amounts of money and so does AOTC. How's that?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Fence, meet groverat.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    [quote]Fence, meet groverat. <hr></blockquote>

It's sooo comfortable up here, I've built lounge chairs. Care to join me?

It's difficult to say who will "win" at this point since we know very little of how good AOTC is. (Aside from the standard AintItCool review, which is very positive whereas their TPM review was very negative)
  • Reply 6 of 46
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    Natalie Portman or Kirsten Dunst?
  • Reply 7 of 46
    scott_h_phdscott_h_phd Posts: 448member
    Hummmm? That's a hard one? How about both at once with lots of oil involved.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

<strong>Natalie Portman or Kirsten Dunst? </strong><hr></blockquote>

Natalie's a bitch. Kirsten any day, though that decision is based on the fact that I don't know much about her.

The Ivy league grapevine is my justification for calling Natalie a bitch.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member

<strong>

I'll be there soon after opening day to check out Episode II just like I did Spiderman. So the movie biz has got my $16 for both.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Is that $16 US for each movie or both? If that's 16 for one that's very expensive. I pay only 9.50 CDN for a movie (in Silver City)
  • Reply 10 of 46
    $7.75 each. I round up when it comes to monetary expenditures.

And if you want to get technical it's $7.75 x 4 since I take the girlfriend with me.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I will watch Star wars episode 2. I doubt that i will watch Spiderman : i am suspicious with moovie coming from comics even if some are really goods like Batman.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    I recommend you see it. If you don't like it I will refund your money*.

(By saying "I will refund your money" I mean "I will apologize for wasting your time.")
  • Reply 13 of 46
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member

<strong>I recommend you see it. If you don't like it I will refund your money*.

(By saying "I will refund your money" I mean "I will apologize for wasting your time.")</strong><hr></blockquote>

So that means you are bullsh*tting at powerdoc
  • Reply 14 of 46
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    this is ridiculous, e2 will mop the floor with spidey

i did see spidey, and it was a good movie- if you know what to expect, a perfect comic book remake with beautiful sweeping action and poor dialogue with a linear plot. and it's not the first time spidey has been on the big screen.

from the early reviews it also appears e2 doesn't suck as bad as e1, it's apparently the 'empire strikes back' of the new trilogy, we'll see ...
  • Reply 15 of 46
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member
    If e2 is as good as Empire then it wins going away. If it sucks as badly as e1 then it's a toss up.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member

<strong>$7.75 each. I round up when it comes to monetary expenditures.

And if you want to get technical it's $7.75 x 4 since I take the girlfriend with me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

$7.75? Not bad... here it's $9. Ridiculous.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Having seen both movies, Episode II will win. Spidey was great. I really enjoyed it. But I won't be seeing it again till its out on DVD.

However I will go and see Episode II again and again. There was so much going on and so much to digest that I need to see it a few more times. That and the fact that I'm a huge Star Wars fan. So maybe my opinion is swayed because I'm the same age as the Star Wars saga and I don't know a life without it. Spider-Man I didn't get into until I was a little older

(p.s. not to be picky but the official title is "Spider-Man", thats how marvel has always spelled it )

[ 05-05-2002: Message edited by: Willoughby ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 46
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I did not watch Spider-Man on opening day. I will watch Star Wars on opening day.

Spider-Man owns the 3-day record right now ($114M,) but there's no way it will keep up with Star Wars. I think AOTC will make even more money than TPM.

AOTC pleased Harry Knowles. It's also pleased a few other people I've talked to who have already seen it.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    oeyvindoeyvind Posts: 11member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

$7.75? Not bad... here it's $9. Ridiculous.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Gosh... watced Spider-man on Friday (actually 0030hrs on Saturday)... cost me SGD8.50 here (that's abt USD4.71)
  • Reply 20 of 46
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Attack of the Clones makes me think of Attack of the Clowns.

Silly clowns.