Verizon media event on Jan. 11 fuels Apple iPhone speculation

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkKnot View Post

They should talk about iPad on VZW, all about LTE then say, 'But there IS one more thing' and have Steve Jobs walk on stage to thunderous applause.

I can't imagine Steve going for another company's keynote. And that too like ' One More thing " creeps!
  • Reply 42 of 82
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Verizon iPhone announced Jan 11th

On Sale Feb 3rd (hopefully alongside iPad2, announced Jan 27th)
  • Reply 43 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nothlit View Post

... I think Steve Jobs might make an appearance at this event, but he probably won't be the star of the show.

This event will primarily be an opportunity for Verizon to talk about how their service with the iPhone will be different from AT&T's.

Agree with what you say, except that part about Steve Jobs ... he will be what people will remember even if he just has a cameo ... that's just the nature of his star power on stage now.

Love that date -

1/1/11 ...

I guess they want to be #1 ...
  • Reply 44 of 82
    vexorgvexorg Posts: 69member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdlink View Post

VZ is down for the day. Go figure.

VZ closed down .30 well off the lows. It is up about 1.00 in after hours trading though. It has had a decent move all of december. Yesterday was the first pullback, and it went ex-dividend. Today is a bottoming tail on the dailies. It will be interesting to see what the implied volatility on VZ will be like monday, Might be nice to sell a little premium before the event.
  • Reply 45 of 82
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Uh, how?

If Apple makes the announcement, they have a new partner. Big deal. If Verizon makes the announcement, they're switching allegiances. It's all about perception. By saying that Apple will keep it low-key, I mean Apple's involvement in the announcement will be low-key, not that the response to the announcement will be low-key.
  • Reply 46 of 82
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

If Apple makes the announcement, they have a new partner. Big deal. If Verizon makes the announcement, they're switching allegiances. It's all about perception. By saying that Apple will keep it low-key, I mean Apple's involvement in the announcement will be low-key, not that the response to the announcement will be low-key.

Switching allegiances would be they stop selling Android phones.
  • Reply 47 of 82
    Quote:

Yeah, but why would Apple make the announcement? It's just another carrier. iPhone is on 150 or so carriers. It's a big deal for Verizon, for Apple just means they will sell al ot more phones. I think there will an equal allegiance to both VZ and AT&T.
  • Reply 48 of 82
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

A question though:

is the iPhone being on verizon already factored into the Apple stock price? It made a push upward towards the end of the day adding a billion or so in market cap. How much is such a deal worth?

They've been saying that it's been baked in for some time now. But I believe it's only half the way. I think Apple has another ten points from this yet. Possibly fifteen.
  • Reply 49 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Unlikely as release dates, at least for iPad 2. It would be unlikely that iPad 2 would not require a new SDK to exploit new features, or that there would be no new features to exploit, so developers would need advance notice of the new SDK to be prepared at launch. As an announce date for iPad 2, it's possible, but would not require vacation restrictions.

I would imagine 4.3 for a new iPad, but possibly for a CDMA phone as well. An updated stack for the new radio would be needed, at least.
  • Reply 50 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yup, this is happening. Announcement next Tuesday by Verizon and then to be rolled out across Verizon and Apple Stores by end of the month/ early Feb. Design is the slightly modified antenna thingy as we have seen.

This is it. Ah feel it in mah bones.

You have bones?
  • Reply 51 of 82
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Turley Muller View Post

Yeah, but why would Apple make the announcement? It's just another carrier. iPhone is on 150 or so carriers. It's a big deal for Verizon, for Apple just means they will sell al ot more phones. I think there will an equal allegiance to both VZ and AT&T.

A CDMA phone is new hardware. There are many other carriers in the world that use CDMA and will likely get the same phone at some point in the future. I think it'd make more sense for Apple to announce it except for the fact that getting Verizon to do it looks like capitulation on Verizon's part. Verizon has been the main force behind Android adoption in the US. Come Tuesday that ends.
  • Reply 52 of 82
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I would imagine 4.3 for a new iPad, but possibly for a CDMA phone as well. An updated stack for the new radio would be needed, at least.

Would that require a developers release????
  • Reply 53 of 82
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    If this is what it is...

Then the announcement will occur as Verizon CEO Seidenberg says, without further adeui, please welcome....Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 54 of 82
    Quote:

A CDMA phone is new hardware. There are many other carriers in the world that use CDMA and will likely get the same phone at some point in the future. I think it'd make more sense for Apple to announce it except for the fact that getting Verizon to do it looks like capitulation on Verizon's part. Verizon has been the main force behind Android adoption in the US. Come Tuesday that ends.

True there are internal differences, but that's not real newsworthy. Apple only has a press event if there is something cool to show off or demonstrate. This is complete yawn unless you are engineer. Verizon has been wanting to make this announce for a while and now they can. There are many other CDMA carriers, but only make up a small amount of users. Only a few Apple would be interested in.
  • Reply 55 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Turley Muller View Post

True there are internal differences, but that's not real newsworthy.

The iPhone 3GS apparently was.

Quote:

Apple only has a press event if there is something cool to show off or demonstrate.

Like the speed of the iPhone 3GS.

Quote:

This is complete yawn unless you are engineer.

Or want actual phone service and 3G coverage.

Quote:

There are many other CDMA carriers, but only make up a small amount of users.

Sure, forget those Chinese CDMA providers.
  • Reply 56 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

Love that date -

1/1/11 ...

I guess they want to be #1 ...

Actually, it's 1/11/11 at 11 am.
  • Reply 57 of 82
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anwerman View Post

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

It must be... a WITCH!! A WITCH!!

Or small rocks.
  • Reply 58 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

It must be... a WITCH!! A WITCH!!

Or small rocks.

Class action lawsuit if you can't build bridges out of Verizon iPhones.
  • Reply 59 of 82
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

You’re talking about the mention of the faster or new HW. The average person don’t know or care about the differences between CDMA and GSM or EV-DO and HS*PA. They just want the device they want to work on the network they want.

Quote:

A faster device is something the average end user can understand.

Quote:

How does explaining about CDMA radios make a damn bit of difference to the user. It’s either a VeriPhone or it isn’t. Nothing else about the device would affect the end user.

Quote:

That CDMA-based carrier in China represents about ½ the total CDMA user base in the US. Now if we adjust the actual potential market based of income levels that would buy the iPhone we see the US is even larger than China Telecom.
  • Reply 60 of 82
    Quote:

The 3GS had many new different features and new iOS3. It was improved product. Plenty to show. The 3G coverage & service doesn't have to do with Apple. That's the reason VZ is making the announcement. China Mobile uses it's TD-SCDMA which they engineered. I don't know what that would require for iPhone.