WSJ: Verizon to announce CDMA iPhone 4 on Tuesday

Comments

• Reply 41 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Doesn't seem to have hurt them much in general. As they point out, they still get invited pretty much everywhere, except Apple events.

I started avoiding Gizmodo after the stupid pranks they pulled at CES in 2008. I was starting to get a little lax and occasionally clicking a link to Gizmodo, but the whole stolen iPhone affair reinforce my resolve to avoid their site.
  • Reply 42 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

At last. Now I can get my iPhone back that I abandoned last summer.

If you mean that you've got an old iPhone lying around that you're hoping to use with Verizon, then you're in for a disappointment since that old iPhone uses the GSM system and will be incompatible with the CDMA system that Verizon uses. Perhaps Verizon can announce a trade-in program where ATT users can switch their current iPhones for a Verizon iPhone to encourage people to make the switch.
  • Reply 43 of 146
    3m ta33m ta3 Posts: 15member
    Man, I hope you're right!! I just re-upped for two years. I just HAD to have the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 44 of 146
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Echo chamber at work.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Yeah, cause the WSJ is the same as the National Enquirer. Those jokers at the Journal never check their facts.

Yeah, I agree. That's how they've won multiple Pulitzer Prizes and other prestigious journalism awards.

Including the 42nd Annual RFK Journalism award for international story in 2010.

http://www.rfkcenter.org/node/490

Quote:
    ?Hearts, Mind, and Blood: The Battle for Iran,? Farnaz Fassihi, The Wall Street Journal: Under great personal danger, Farnaz Fassihi, a native Iranian, captured compelling stories about Iranian resistance and the attempts to silence it. Her series features chilling personal tales from both sides of the issue and has drawn intense reaction among members of the U.S. Congress, academics from around the globe, and members of the Iranian diaspora.

There's an echo chamber, all right. Between your ears.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4101011AAcu6VS

All of which is irrelevant as to whether they've got this story about something which hasn't happened right. Right or wrong, they're still a sophisticated world-wide news op and you're a conditioned reflex.
  • Reply 45 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How about Monday, with a shorting in the afternoon and then a really big jump on Tuesday?

VZ iPhone must be Apple's worst kept secret since 1998. Don't be surprised if AAPL falls initially.

Longer term - March or April, it's certain to climb as Apple struggles to meet "unexpectedly strong" consumer demand
  • Reply 46 of 146
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

VZ iPhone must be Apple's worst kept secret since 1998.

Could you please tell me why you think that? Every single date for its launch for the past three and a half years has been an outright lie.

I mean, the Wall Street Journal has been throwing out dates for years. They've never been right. They know nothing, and have lost all credibility. If they're right this time, it's completely meaningless.
  • Reply 47 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

... Every single date for its launch for the past three and a half years has been an outright lie.

I mean, the Wall Street Journal has been throwing out dates for years. They've never been right. They know nothing, and have lost all credibility. If they're right this time, it's completely meaningless.

To characterize anything the WSJ writes as an "outright lie" isn't defensible. Any investor ought to know anything anyone's written on the subject has been speculative. What else could an investor expect?

Until it's released it remains a speculative product. If you phone Apple's press office Monday morning, their reply will be "we don't comment on future product releases."

As far as dates are concerned who cares. For all we know Apple might have canceled the entire CDMA project unless they were certain to meet whatever objectives they've decided upon.
  • Reply 48 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

Well, the stars do seem to be aligning.

and glowing red....
  • Reply 49 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

VZ iPhone must be Apple's worst kept secret since 1998. Don't be surprised if AAPL falls initially.

Longer term - March or April, it's certain to climb as Apple struggles to meet "unexpectedly strong" consumer demand

Apple wont fall. err you are talking about stock. That, we will see...
  • Reply 50 of 146
    gotwakegotwake Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jav1231 View Post

Verizon and AT&T have the highest data charges. Apple would be much smarter to go with Sprint. Sprint still has unlimited data plans and can easily keep owning an iPhone under a $100 a mth, something Verizon and AT&T really can't do.

I think you are mistaking what's best for you for what's best for Apple.
  • Reply 51 of 146
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

Excluding Gizmodo from the event certainly seems an extremely strong indication that this is the iPhone launch event.

I wonder if Gizmodo has any credibility left at all out there? Was it worth it guys?

Sure they do. They probably get more invites now than before just not ones from Apple.
  • Reply 52 of 146
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

I started avoiding Gizmodo after the stupid pranks they pulled at CES in 2008. I was starting to get a little lax and occasionally clicking a link to Gizmodo, but the whole stolen iPhone affair reinforce my resolve to avoid their site.

Not that I condone what they did, but I still visit their site and they probably gained many more readers than they lost.
  • Reply 53 of 146
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Meh. I say that this only adds a max of an extra 30 000 activations to the iOS ecosystem a day. And that's assuming that the iPhone sells at the same level of demand as it does on AT&T and that a lot of customers are new activations, not just AT&T customers moving over. Those are some huge assumptions.

Using AT&T iphone sales as a guide is just flawed logic. All their other offerings are crap, until very recently. Why would you get anything but the iPhone on AT&T? And their numbers do get stacked. Where else would iPhone users go? They have no choice but to stick to AT&T. I am curious to see what happens when AT&T starts pushing the competition as the iPhone becomes just one offering among many.

What will be awesome though will be what the competition does for iPhone prices. We're already seeing $50 iPhones. The USA will finally see iPhones free on contract like you do elsewhere in the world. Maybe even BOGO deals for the iPhone (which will finally stop those ridiculous arguments that OEMs are padding their numbers through BOGO deals offered by carriers desperate to get upsell data contracts).

I'm also curious to see what happens to Apple's ASP. Will their subsidies drop as they lose exclusivity? If so, what happens to their ASP?
  • Reply 54 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

...not just AT&T customers moving over...

What does it matter to Apple? They've already sold the other iDevices; Apple has their money, and they'll just get more with the necessity of a new device.

Quote:

Where else would iPhone users go? They have no choice but to stick to AT&T.

T-Mobile... any of the other GSM providers... You know.
  • Reply 55 of 146
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmovie View Post

\

Two guys tinkering in a garage.

Who would have thought that one day the phone company would be in their hands!

Particularly when the first tinkering they were doing was making blue boxes that allowed them to make long distance phone calls for free :-)
  • Reply 56 of 146
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What does it matter to Apple? They've already sold the other iDevices; Apple has their money, and they'll just get more with the necessity of a new device.

T-Mobile... any of the other GSM providers... You know.

In one paragraph he states it?s ?ridiculous? that RiM could have lowered their ASP which allowed BOGO sales to successfully increase their net profits, and in the next he?s ?curious? to see what happens to the iPhone?s ASP.
  • Reply 57 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Particularly when the first tinkering they were doing was making blue boxes that allowed them to make long distance phone calls for free :-)

*Steve on stage announcing the VeriPhone on xx/xx/2xxx*

Steve: Here, let me just call someone...

*rings*

Woz: Hey, Steve! What's up?

Steve: Hey, Woz, I just want to try out a three-way call. Stay on the line.

*Steve dials the Vatican, asks for the Pope*

Woz: You want me to pretend to be Kissinger again?
  • Reply 58 of 146
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3M TA3 View Post

Man, I hope you're right!! I just re-upped for two years. I just HAD to have the iPhone 4.

ruh roh
  • Reply 59 of 146
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    what about all new iphone 4 for all

new antennae and everything, faster cycle to keep android at bay
  • Reply 60 of 146
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Yeah, I agree. That's how they've won multiple Pulitzer Prizes and other prestigious journalism awards.

Including the 42nd Annual RFK Journalism award for international story in 2010.

http://www.rfkcenter.org/node/490

There's an echo chamber, all right. Between your ears.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4101011AAcu6VS

All of which is irrelevant as to whether they've got this story about something which hasn't happened right. Right or wrong, they're still a sophisticated world-wide news op and you're a conditioned reflex.

In your feverish rush to hump the WSJ's leg, you missed the obvious sarcasm of shadash's post.

And if the mutual admiration society awards they have received are irrelevant, why did you mention them?