WSJ: Verizon to announce CDMA iPhone 4 on Tuesday

Comments

• Reply 101 of 146
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

I just tested my iphone 3G speed on Thursday, and again today, at various spots, and found the speed of ATT's HSPA+ network has "mysteriously" increased from a steady 1.2 Mbps download/.32 Mbps upload speed to between 3 and 4.3 Mbps download/.54 to 1.2 Mbps upload speed.

How CONVENIENT for ATT to suddenly unlock the speed that has probably been there all along, so they can boast that their so-called 4G network (HSPA+ actually) can compete with Verizon's upcoming 4G LTE network.

Makes me furious that they could have done this earlier, which will no doubt come out in the news next week as a smarmy way of keeping iPhone users from defecting, or to keep new users from going to Verizon.

Yes, AT&T is so evil they've kept capability away from you just to be mean.

Or, in a more sane universe, the towers you tested got updated with more backhaul so you actually can get better HSPA speeds. Just updating the tower software to HSPA 7.2 like they did last january doesn't magically make fiber appear in all the towers.
  • Reply 102 of 146
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bwinski View Post

Sorry, if you have a CDMA phone and never leave the US, that's fine.. Otherwise, gotta deal with reality.

The reality is you need some reading comprehension and to slow to your roll.

You quoted ?...working to lock existing iPhone 4 buyers into two year contracts?? then when on your silly tirade. The verb lock is clearly regarding the noun contact. You can deny that other countries don?t have contracts, but you?re just lying to yourself.
  • Reply 103 of 146
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Yes, AT&T is so evil they've kept capability away from you just to be mean.

Or, in a more sane universe, the towers you tested got updated with more backhaul so you actually can get better HSPA speeds. Just updating the tower software to HSPA 7.2 like they did last january doesn't magically make fiber appear in all the towers.

Please read my previous post.

I would like to know what you mean by backhaul - I am confused (am not an engineer). Can a software upgrade to all the nearby towers cause them to get faster? I seem to remember something last year about a software glitch at ATT causing less-than HSPA+ speeds, but can't remember the particulars.

Just want to learn a bit about the technology, even if my suspicion about ATT may not be entirely unfounded (sometimes it is good to be paranoid, even if folks are talking about you behind your back).
  • Reply 104 of 146
    Check out this site! It has all the latest technology-related news! If you like it, please tell others about it! Also, subscribe to the RSS feed if you like it!

http://geekytechy.wordpress.com/
  • Reply 105 of 146
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Imagine Engine View Post

My brother is with Verizon and is anticipating the iPhone launch though both of us believe it will be an iPhone 4 (HSPA 3G) GSM model launching with Verizon in February. Verizon has already started their migration to GSM phones that use SIM cards. This is similar to what Telus and Bell did in Canada in 2009. People claimed that Apple was going to give them a CDMA iPhone but they instead only got the iPhone 4 after migrating their network to support GSM. Also keep in mind that Apple is going to release the next iPhone in the summer as they have done at the same time every year since the first iPhone 2G model launched. So I highly doubt Verizon customers will get a 4G iPhone and instead will have the same model we all have which is HSPA 3G.

Bell and Telus didn't migrate to anything. They overlaid a 3G GSM (HSPA) network on top. They simply launched the iPhone on the 3G network. There's still customers who use CDMA phones.

The equivalent would be for Verizon to overlay its LTE network and launch the iPhone on that. If that were to be the case, then the iPhone would not be rumoured to be launching soon.
  • Reply 106 of 146
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

I would like to know what you mean by backhaul - I am confused (am not an engineer). Can a software upgrade to all the nearby towers cause them to get faster? I seem to remember something last year about a software glitch at ATT causing less-than HSPA+ speeds, but can't remember the particulars.

Just want to learn a bit about the technology, even if my suspicion about ATT may not be entirely unfounded (sometimes it is good to be paranoid, even if folks are talking about you behind your back).

Two parts have to get upgraded to give you more speed. The first part is the part that talks to your phone. Both the phone and tower have to support the higher data rates, both radios and software. AT&T did this with a bunch of 3G radio for the 3G rollout and then a software upgrade for those radios in their towers about a year ago.

The second part that has to get upgraded is the connection from the tower to the rest of the world. This is called backhaul. Most of the old towers were still connected by a few (typically from 1 to 3) T1 copper lines poking along at 1.5Mbps each. To get you the speed upgrade requires ripping out that old copper and replacing it with fiber or microwave.

That's why AT&T only announced faster speeds in six initial cities last year and rolling it out to everyone else over time. Those cities were in good shape backhaul wise.

They aren't stupid...they know folks will run speed tests to verify what they say and post if for all the internet to see. So they've been improving infrastructure as quick as they can...especially if they knew iPhone exclusivity was ending.

But even $18B in capex only goes so far and a lots of that was landline/UVerse.
  • Reply 107 of 146
    niko03niko03 Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ded48 View Post

Why would anyone want an iPhone 4 on Verizon now instead of waiting for iPhone 5 to come out in the next 5 or 6 months? Unless, of course, there isn't going to be an iPhone 5 this year. Why would Apple release an iPhone 4 for Verizon and then release an iPhone 5 for AT&T 6 months later? That doesn't make sense to me.

Right now, all over the world, people are still buying iPhone 4's for use on all sorts of networks. Wise or not, people do it.... millions of people. The only time it slows is right before the new rev launch, and one could argue it's just as much apple turning off the spigot as it is people consciously deciding to wait.
  • Reply 108 of 146
    Hang on guys, I'm getting a call on my iPhone nano.....

Sorry about that... Anyway my unicorn says he can't wait to get the iPhone 4 on Verizon's network...

Excuse me a second, "Hey Bigfoot, are those pigs actually flying?!"

Obviously, I'm too busy here, I'll get back with you guys Tuesday night...
  • Reply 109 of 146
    No-one outside of the U.S. Gives a shit.
  • Reply 110 of 146
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

In your feverish rush to hump the WSJ's leg, you missed the obvious sarcasm of shadash's post.

And if the mutual admiration society awards they have received are irrelevant, why did you mention them?

No I didn't. It was clear to me. I was just giving the documentation.

And irrelevant because because prediction of a secretive tech company's product release schedule is speculation more than the reporting of facts. I doubt a Pulitzer's ever been given for that. That said, if a high-profile company with a rep to defend starts to make lots of failed predictions, it will hurt their prestige, so I recant. Not entirely irrelevant, just not very comparable.

As for leg-humping, the WSJ has in fact helped me make a tidy sum of money over the last 25 years, and so, yes, I'm kinda soft on 'em for that. Just as I am on AI for improving some of my buying and deployment decisions over the years, despite the over-homerism of some articles and some of their correspondents in general.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

backactcha'.
  • Reply 111 of 146
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    The echo chamber is deafening today.

It might be right this time. Or not. But it is somewhat amusing to watch the rumor sites reporting on the WSJ as it reports on the rumor sites. The WSJ article isn't so much confirmation as an echo of rumor sites like this.
  • Reply 112 of 146
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

Bunch of people in China and Japan who'd like to have a word with you.

Stop being self-righteous.
  • Reply 113 of 146
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

if the phone to tower speed is 7.2 but the tower only has 10mbps or so of bandwidth for 50 or more people then you're not going to get fast speed
  • Reply 114 of 146
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macm37 View Post

Although it seems that you're on Sprint's network and awaiting the iPhone's arrival on it, I do hope that you do take into some consideration of how long it took Apple to get the Qualcomm dual-mode chip (CDMA/GSM that supports LTE). This chip is what will allow them to make one design for future LTE iPhones whether they will use CDMA or GSM for backup. Up until it's arrival, Apple has been frustrated with the possibility of redesigning a whole new iPhone for Verizon due to past designs being too big to shoehorn into the iPhone. They will be using a newer version of the Qualcomm dual-mode chip that is currently being used in the Motorola Droid 2 Global for the Verizon iPhone that's being announced on Tues, 1-11-11. Don't get me wrong bro, but your dream of the phone having a dual LTE/WiMax Radio is great and will take a while just as the Qualcomm dual-mode chip took to make. Apple will have to release a second model for WiMax, and you have to realize that their style is just making one design for their product. Even looking at a potential next carrier from a numbers standpoint, just knowing that Sprint may transition to LTE from WiMax is a big obstacle for them in becoming a next iPhone carrier.

Two thoughts. Firstly, I don't think Apple will be using this chip for the Verizon iPhone4 on Jan 11. It could be something for the iPhone5 announced in the middle of the year.

Secondly, I agree it will be a long time before Apple produces an iPhone that supports WiMax. Certainly not in 2011.
  • Reply 115 of 146
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Imagine Engine View Post

Verizon history:

1. Verizon has acquired assets related to GSM technology.

2. Verizon integrated into their network SIM cards which is a standard used by GSM carriers.

3. Verizon EVP and CTO Dick Lynch in June 2010 joined the GSMA board.

4. Verizon implemented LTE (4G) which is an evolution of GSM technology.

That might be all true but only because they're switching to LTE which is GSM based but they are not at this point going to scrap their entire CDMA network for GSM.
  • Reply 116 of 146
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The reality is you need some reading comprehension and to slow to your roll.

You quoted ?...working to lock existing iPhone 4 buyers into two year contracts?? then when on your silly tirade. The verb lock is clearly regarding the noun contact. You can deny that other countries don?t have contracts, but you?re just lying to yourself.

Wrong again buckwheat.... Out of the 26 countries I've been in - to date - Europe, Asia and the Middle-East, NONE (NONE - ZERO) require contracts. You can walk in a cell phone store - buy a GSM SIM card for a local provider - and POOF ! You're done...
  • Reply 117 of 146
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Wrong again buckwheat.... Out of the 26 countries I've been in - to date - Europe, Asia and the Middle-East, NONE (NONE - ZERO) require contracts. You can walk in a cell phone store - buy a GSM SIM card for a local provider - and POOF ! You're done...

Wow, for someone demonstrating clear limitations in your reading ability, you sure come off as arrogant. Very simply, to help you, in the quote you posted, it very clearly said locked into contract. You are correct about what carrier locking means, but the quote you posted had NOTHING to do with carrier locks. I guess the fact the quote had the worked 'lock' in it confused you. Hope this helps.

Seriously, if you are going to try insulting people, you should at least ensure you are right. You aren't and you are sort of making an ass of yourself in the process. I'd suggest you might want to just let it go, as you are just making yourself look silly.

Edit: Your example of walking into store and buying a SIM would work with any unlocked phone. And guess what? You can find carrier locked phones outside of the US.
  • Reply 118 of 146
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

Typical non-Americans. Don't they realize that (The Whole World - USA) =/= The Whole World?
  • Reply 119 of 146
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

The USA does not require contracts either.
  • Reply 120 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

The USA does not require contracts either.*

*An iPhone can be purchased at full price without a contract. To be used within the United States, the aforementioned iPhone must then be put on a plan that is a contract or by using T-Mobile. Side effects may include lack of Visual Voicemail, 3G, and less coverage. Terms and conditions still apply.