Inside AirPrint: How to add iOS printer sharing back to Mac OS X

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post

The problem is all the non-geeks using hacks they don't have enough computer experience to apply properly. Especially if they ignore the warnings from the geeks.

The readership of this publication includes people in addition to full-on geeks. I'm surprised that AI prints hacking instructions without the usual warnings, and without instructions on the method to preserve the files you overwrite. They also tell you that "The files [are] widely spread around the web" with no advice as to where one might find an uncorrupted and safe source.

I consider this sort of article to be irresponsible in a publication like this.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

The readership of this publication includes people in addition to full-on geeks. I'm surprised that AI prints hacking instructions without the usual warnings, and without instructions on the method to preserve the files you overwrite. They also tell you that "The files [are] widely spread around the web" with no advice as to where one might find an uncorrupted and safe source.

I consider this sort of article to be irresponsible in a publication like this.

This is hardly hacking OS X at all.

This is all standard filter/mimetype cups stuff any printer manufacturer could and does add to OS X.

You could add corrupt files and this WILL NOT screw up OS X.

I'm curious if its only people that didn't have a previous 10.6.5 beta installed that needed these steps. The correct files should still exist if you had the beta installed and no extra steps should be needed.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Ok. It works fine with my 10 year old inkjet attached to the most recent airport base station. Awesome. I wish it worked via the airport base station without the laptop being on however.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Just curious and for clarification purposes. If I have a new HP ePrinter, and am running the 4.2 GM on my iPad, I should be able to print without having to use my MBP or do I need to enable sharing of the printer for this to work? My understanding is that with the new ePrinters from HP, you only have to put it on the network, have the 4.2 GM installed on the iPad, and they will see each other. However, prior to installing the three files, my iPad was not able to see the new HP ePrinter to print to. Am I mistaken in assuming that the iPad should be able to print directly?

TIA
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Hmm. We're two weeks away from submitting a (fairly substantial) app to the Store. We HAD Airprint enabled - but now wondering whether to remove it. Should we include a button in our App's UI that might not work?
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Since iTunes 10.1 is needed to update to 4.2, I wonder if they decided to include the print files in the iTunes update. That would enable users that don't have the most current release of Snow Leopard to print out documents.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Has anyone done this with the public release and tested it? If so, I am going to do this. However I have an old ass inkjet hooked up to my Airport Base Station.

I just updated our IPad last night. I have AirPrint working. I have an Epson R340 connected to my TimeCapsule. The printer is shared via my MAC. I had to install the files to my MAC and then remove my printer from the MAC and reinstall.

Printing emails and web pages seem to work fine. Printing photos does not work properly. The photo gets cropped oddly. I'm guessing this is why printer sharing is not officially supported yet. I can live w/out photo printing for now.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Okay, so I don't have one of those new ePrint printer from HP, but I have one of those WiFi enabled HP Printer and I have been using it without any sharing issue from various laptops in my household (Mac and PC). Now, why can't I use them through my iPad and iPhone using AirPrint - Why is it that hard? Why does the printer have to be shared from machine, which might be even turned on - Isn't that the whole idea of buying network enabled printers? And when this AirPrint thing came up - I said great! Now I can print it from my mobile devices too.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    I'm an experienced Mac user but I struggled to understand and gather these tips together to make this fix work. Perhaps I've failed to make 'geek' status, but I feel many like me would benefit from a simple step-by-step procedure to achieve this fix. It worked for me for a HP Deskjet F300 series all-in-one connected by USB to my iMac.

1. Download to your Mac AirPrintFix-ChuckG.zip from http://cl.ly/3BmD (or other sites)

Note: The relevant system files are hidden so use the Go menu from Finder to find the locations. (no need to use Terminal or root user mode, I found, but you do need to have your administrator password to authenticate changes to these system files as you go along).

2. Choose 'Go to folder' from the Go menu. Type in /usr

3. Navigate through folders: libexec/cups/filter

4. Copy the urftopdf file from the download to the filter folder

(I've kept copies of these downloaded files in case they are overwritten/deleted in future MacOSX updates. So I option-dragged them into place)

Note: the next two files, apple.convs and apple.types REPLACE existing files, so I copied the existing files to another location in case things went wrong with this fix and I wanted to restore things to how they were.

5. Navigate through folders: share/cups/mime

6. Copy apple.convs and apple.types from the download into the mime folder, instructing to replace the existing files.

7. Open System Preferences and open Fax and Print preferences.

Note the name of your default printer if you think you might forget it.

8. Delete your existing printer (select the printer from the list and click the minus button).

9. Restart your Mac

10. Go back to Fax and Print preferences, click the + button and enter your printer's name to add your printer back to the list. Make sure printer sharing is on.

11. Test printing from your iPhone or iPad by opening an email and clicking the curved arrow icon. Obviously your Mac needs to be switched on.

Very satisfying when it works!