Apple previews Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, bringing iOS features 'Back to the Mac'

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 174
    People are talking a lot about the new ipad-software coming to MacOSX and the app-store... but MacOSX has still some issues I would like to see adressed, too:

1. Full NTFS-support, reading and writing. I have big external harddisks and currently I have them HFS+-formatted (non-journaled), but I would like to format one of them in NTFS for compatibility with the windows-world or a partition here and there. Sure Fat 32 is there but the 4GB-per-file-limit is too restricting. Not too speak of the Windows-partition sitting right beside my MacOSX-partition but which I have currently running as Fat32 because of the wish to shift files back and forth.

2. What happened to classic-support? Lately I found my old Carmageddon1-game for the old MacOS and I was so happy cause it was imho the best arcade-racing-action-game ever, I popped it in, installed it.. only to be told that the classic-support is gone. Why? Is it because of the change of platform to Intel... why not emulating the old Power-PC-platform then? The new Macs have much more processing-power than the old power-pcs, an emulation should be possible. So I hope for a classic-emulation that works beautifully.

3. Beachball-problems must finally be solved. Most of these are due to Flash hogging down ressources. So either Apple sits down with Adobe and develop a much more efficient Flashplayer for MacOSX or they deliver a Flash-blocker with Safari so that all Flash-things are blocked until you want a specific Flash to be executed.

4. When I double-click on an empty space of the desktop I would like the OS to automatically bring forth a small note where I can write something down quickly or copy-paste to and that would be saved automatically on the desktop. A small thing but would be so convenient.

Other than that I'm happy with MacOSXSnowLeopard, a bit more speed would be nice too.
  • Reply 162 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post

4. When I double-click on an empty space of the desktop I would like the OS to automatically bring forth a small note where I can write something down quickly or copy-paste to and that would be saved automatically on the desktop. A small thing but would be so convenient.

Boy I'd just about give my right arm to have something like you're describing - just a simple no-frills piece of notepaper that pops up when you click on the Desktop. There are far too many notepads and stickies out there but I don't want to mouse over to my dock or some other launcher like DragThing, or do some keystroke shortcut to bring up something (I don't like keystroking anyway), or mouse up to the menu bar or over to the left side for something that's tabbed out of sight there. Just a simple mouse-click on the Desktop is all we ask.
  • Reply 163 of 174
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    Quote:

People are talking a lot about the new ipad-software coming to MacOSX and the app-store... but MacOSX has still some issues I would like to see adressed, too:

1. Full NTFS-support, reading and writing. I have big external harddisks and currently I have them HFS+-formatted (non-journaled), but I would like to format one of them in NTFS for compatibility with the windows-world or a partition here and there. Sure Fat 32 is there but the 4GB-per-file-limit is too restricting. Not too speak of the Windows-partition sitting right beside my MacOSX-partition but which I have currently running as Fat32 because of the wish to shift files back and forth.

Um, search MacUpdate for ntfs. Done

Quote:

2. What happened to classic-support? Lately I found my old Carmageddon1-game for the old MacOS and I was so happy cause it was imho the best arcade-racing-action-game ever, I popped it in, installed it.. only to be told that the classic-support is gone. Why? Is it because of the change of platform to Intel... why not emulating the old Power-PC-platform then? The new Macs have much more processing-power than the old power-pcs, an emulation should be possible. So I hope for a classic-emulation that works beautifully.

Search for Classic on Intel (may be a torrent). Done.

Quote:

3. Beachball-problems must finally be solved. Most of these are due to Flash hogging down ressources. So either Apple sits down with Adobe and develop a much more efficient Flashplayer for MacOSX or they deliver a Flash-blocker with Safari so that all Flash-things are blocked until you want a specific Flash to be executed.

Safari Extensions Gallery. Search for flash. Done

Quote:

Other than that I'm happy with MacOSXSnowLeopard, a bit more speed would be nice too.

Pretty silly request. There are a zillion note-taking apps including the web browser you're using. Just select text and drag it to the desktop.
  • Reply 164 of 174
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by strobe View Post

Pretty silly request. There are a zillion note-taking apps including the web browser you're using. Just select text and drag it to the desktop.

Good info, very good links. However, I must comment on the NTFS-write support. Apple needs to add it officially. We need reliable NTFS write and FTP upload in Finder yesterday. I'm pretty disappointed it didn't make 10.6 but I really don't see why they couldn't turn them on in 10.6.6 or 10.6.7. If it doesn't make the cut by 10.7...the VP in charge of OS X is stupid or has some weird agenda. I mean c'mon. Also adding HFS+ write in Windows Boot Camp would be nice but I won't get my hopes up. I was at least pleasantly surprised to notice BootCamp has HFS+ read support from Windows, that's pretty nice at least!
  • Reply 165 of 174
    It's already available and free, so I fail to see why you're still complaining.
  • Reply 166 of 174
    Am I missing something here? All these developers are complaining about Apple taking 30% of their profit..but in reality if they continue to sell their product through the channels they already do be it website or whatever and sell it on the Mac App Store is that an increase in profits and increase market share? In business you have high margin and low margin markets...High margin markets are obviously better but can't happen everywhere...so lower margin markets are more abundant and add overall sales..People complaining must not be very well educated in business because this can only add sales revenue to your current market, sure it might not be as high margin as you are selling it someplace else but it is still revenue regardless.
  • Reply 167 of 174
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thunderbird5 View Post

Am I missing something here? All these developers are complaining about Apple taking 30% of their profit..but in reality if they continue to sell their product through the channels they already do be it website or whatever and sell it on the Mac App Store is that an increase in profits and increase market share? In business you have high margin and low margin markets...High margin markets are obviously better but can't happen everywhere...so lower margin markets are more abundant and add overall sales..People complaining must not be very well educated in business because this can only add sales revenue to your current market, sure it might not be as high margin as you are selling it someplace else but it is still revenue regardless.

We all are, because unless they are hosting their own online store, they are probably selling wholesale at 45-55% of retail, this way they would get 70% of retail.

I really think it is just idiots pretending to be smart, but never bothered to do a business plan or have actually sold stuff seriously. Getting 70% of retail from the channel is a great deal. Biggest issue is do the App Store restrictions make sense for the way the dev wants to develop and distribute. If they do, win-win, if not stick with the status-quo current distribution model, essentially a wash.
  • Reply 168 of 174
    Quote:

Thanks for the advice, will try that out. But still it should be officially in MacOS X.

Quote:

Sheepshaver is the best out there but even that doesn't work with apps that try to have direct hardware-access like 3d-games.

Quote:

Thanks again for the advice, but that should be there in the first place for safari or better yet a better flash-implementation for MacOS X.

Quote:

Not silly at all, I want such a functionality without additional apps. Like you said it's possible to copy text from a browser or another app and drag it to the desktop to create a note. All I want is the additional functionality to directly type such a note on the desktop by double-clicking, so that I don't have to open first another app, type, copy and drag...
  • Reply 169 of 174
    Re: Nightcrawler

I think I'll file your latest post under Waaa! Waaa! Waaaaa!

Cripes, the baby doesn't stop crying even after you give him a bottle.
  • Reply 170 of 174
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

That's the problem. Lose 30% of your income, or be left behind.

Not at all.

If one is savvy there are tons of ways to market without the MAS. It only requires you thinking creatively and putting in the time

Some folks would rather spend their time other ways and don't mind giving up 30% for someone else to deal with servers etc. So they jumped in.

But it is totally optional. And after Jobs publicly stated so, with assurance that Apple does not intend to ever lock off MacOs (if they legally can), goin back on that would be the big get PR suicide ever. And while Jobs is possibly a total narcisstic jackass, he is not stupid

Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

You do not get it. Let's say you make $1,000 a month and get 100% of profit and now you sell via Mac apps store and make $2,000 and have to give 30% away, which option would you take.

Forget the increased sales. You hit the issue with another bit. 'of profit'

All these folks saying 'if I sell it on my own I keep 100%' are forgetting that you have costs. That $1000 isn't nessarily pure profit. You have server costs, bandwidth costs, domain names, ad costs etc. So look at how much you are losing that way. If it is more than 30% then perhaps MAS is a good option for you. If it is only like 10%, then it seems a little foolish to bank everything on MAS. Either stay away, or maybe do both
  • Reply 171 of 174
    Quote:

Thanks for the advice, will try that out. But still it should be officially in MacOS X.

Apple should officially support Microsofts filesystem when MS has in years past intentionally "updated" their filesystems to break compatibility with other vendors who have done what you say Apple "should do"?

Apple lets you read NTFS because MS can't easily screw with that and not put existing data in corruption jeopardy.

Quote:

a better flash-implementation for MacOS X.

Talk to Adobe.
  • Reply 172 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

That's the problem. Lose 30% of your income, or be left behind.

That is a horrifically BAD assumption. Devs have to factor in the cost of running the store, paying for the additional download bandwidth, difference in piracy rates, downtime, and the time all of that mundane crap takes production offline. Running a store can be expensive.

Basic wholesale into channel sell percentages are 45-55% of retail. That should give you an idea of how much effort the retailers have to make so they can get a 20-30% profit on their investment. The physical act of selling is expensive. Even online presences have a physical component to them.

Giving up almost all of that expensive headache may be quite advantageous. Especially so if that means a one person shop can make more apps or more compelling content, while at the same time getting half more than what the dev would get in a normal wholesale relationship. And if a dev doesn't have broad market visibility driving lots of traffic already, the lottery chance of dramatically better sales throughput is a pretty good bet.
  • Reply 173 of 174
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

That is a horrifically BAD assumption. Devs have to factor in the cost of running the store, paying for the additional download bandwidth, difference in piracy rates, downtime, and the time all of that mundane crap takes production offline. Running a store can be expensive.

Basic wholesale into channel sell percentages are 45-55% of retail. That should give you an idea of how much effort the retailers have to make so they can get a 20-30% profit on their investment. The physical act of selling is expensive. Even online presences have a physical component to them.

Giving up almost all of that expensive headache may be quite advantageous. Especially so if that means a one person shop can make more apps or more compelling content, while at the same time getting half more than what the dev would get in a normal wholesale relationship. And if a dev doesn't have broad market visibility driving lots of traffic already, the lottery chance of dramatically better sales throughput is a pretty good bet.

There are some fairly well known (or at least well respected) Mac app shops that are now exclusively going Mac App Store.
  • Reply 174 of 174
    Quote:

Re: Nightcrawler

I think I'll file your latest post under Waaa! Waaa! Waaaaa!

Cripes, the baby doesn't stop crying even after you give him a bottle.

Something is seriously wrong with you.