Verizon iPhone to use existing plans, similar to AT&T

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Verizon will reportedly announce the iPhone on Tuesday paired with its existing service plans, including an all-you-can-eat data plan, and become available to subscribers later this month.

A report published by Reuters credited an unnamed source for saying Verizon would sell the iPhone with its existing wireless plans.

Update: A second report by the Wall Street Journal specifically notes that Verizon will offer its existing unlimited data plan to iPhone users, something AT&T no longer offers to new subscribers.

"It wasn't clear how long Verizon would offer unlimited plans," the report said. "Its executives have said repeatedly that the industry needs to move to some form of tiered pricing as data use rises, but for the moment the carrier is sticking with its current data plans."

Verizon sets a separate 5GB data limit on its tethering option and on data plans for USB modems and similar PC-oriented WWAN services, but users report that the company does indeed offer truly unlimited data for existing smartphone users.

If the company does indeed offer unlimited data plans for new iPhone subscribers, it will be a unique incentive that may be more likely to draw existing AT&T customers.

Verizon currently offers smartphone voice plans that are nearly identical to AT&T. There are some regional differences in service plans, as well as family and business plans, but the general terms of each carrier's current plans are outlined below, with differences highlighted in red.

AT&T offers rollover minutes, while Verizon offers users on its cheapest calling plan the ability to list five contacts they can make unlimited calls with. Both company's unlimited calling plans are virtually identical.

In data plans, AT&T has given up its unlimited data plan for iPhone users and replaced it with 200MB and 2GB (2000MB) options. Tethering the iPhone to use its mobile 3G with a laptop costs an additional $20 per month but does not offer any additional data service.

Verizon offers a more limited basic data plan for the same amount, and currently offers unlimited data for $30 per month. Tethering is an additional $30, and comes with 5GB of data (rather than counting against unlimited use). Using a smartphone with an Exchange Server incurs an additional $15 per month charge.

While the quality and coverage of service the two carriers offer fluctuate by region, Verizon generally has broader 3G coverage in rural markets and some cities, while AT&T currently offers the fastest data service in markets it covers well (typically metro areas, notably excluding New York and San Francisco).

AT&T's service also enables users to roam globally on other GSM/UMTS carriers, although this is very expensive. AT&T's UMTS service also supports simultaneous voice and data use, unlike Verizon, where users must terminate their call before they can again receive push messages or browse the web.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 181
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    How about without data, hmm? I have zero use for it.
  • Reply 2 of 181
    Are they seriously going to charge for using Exchange? Deff not switching to Verizon now.
  • Reply 3 of 181
    Don't forget they also charge $2.99 for visual voicemail.
  • Reply 4 of 181
    eyepadeyepad Posts: 39member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crisss1205 View Post

Are they seriously going to charge for using Exchange? Deff not switching to Verizon now.

Vzw will also charge for visual voice mail $2.99 a month.

They break that feature off evey phone then charge the customer to get it back.
  • Reply 5 of 181
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

AT&T offers rollover minutes, while Verizon offers users on its cheapest calling plan the ability to list five contacts they can make unlimited calls with. Both company's unlimited calling plans are virtually identical.

I don't believe that's true. As far as I know, Verizon requires at least 900 talk minutes to qualify for their Friends and Family unlimited 5 plan. Which obviously isn't their cheapest calling plan.
  • Reply 6 of 181
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How about without data, hmm? I have zero use for it.

I doubt it. Data on cellphones is the carrier?s bread and butter. You might be able to find some work around but I think that would be more likely on an unlocked iPhone GSM, not an iPhone CDMA which will have to be cracked.

Quote:

If Verizon keeps unlimited data for the iPhone -and- AT&T disallows the continuation of unlimited data when you sign a new iPhone contract I?d have to consider switching, even if it meant losing simultaneous voice and data, and losing the speed of HS*PA. Outside of that I have no use for Verizon.
  • Reply 7 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Don't forget they also charge $2.99 for visual voicemail.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eyepad View Post

Vzw will also charge for visual voice mail $2.99 a month.

They break that feature off evey phone then charge the customer to get it back.

I?d think this would be free for the iPhone. My reasoning ? which could have false assumptions ? is that the with Verizon and other carrier?s visual voicemail is saved on their servers and requires the device to phone home at your request to pull those those audio files, but with the iPhone it?s saved on the device, thus eliminating the carrier?s need for storing your messages on their server.
  • Reply 8 of 181
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I wonder if there will be 'special' offers to entice AT&T customers and / or special offers for existing FiOS clients?
  • Reply 9 of 181
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    You think Verizon is going to make their plans cheaper than AT&T? Get real.
  • Reply 10 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I wonder if there will be 'special' offers to entice AT&T customers and / or special offers for existing FiOS clients?

Like give us your old iPhone and we will pay for your AT&T termination fee?
  • Reply 11 of 181
    mjimji Posts: 25member
    I'm pretty sure that's misleading... I don't think they actually charge $15 to use your own exchange server (I believe its just for verizon's hosted servers). AT&T has the same $15 fee for corporate accounts, which no one actually pays.
  • Reply 12 of 181
    Quote:

Even if they did, I wouldn't leave at&t. I get speeds far superior to their CDMA and close to their current LTE on the download side. Plus simultaneous voice and data is critical for me. Maybe once Apple offers an LTE based phone without an increase in costs of the plan would change my mind.
  • Reply 13 of 181
    I expected lower prices at Verizon....after all you are getting less:

-slower speed

-no concurrent data and voice access (I can't use my GPS while I talk!)

-no international coverage

-no rollover minutes

-no free visual voicemail

-no free wifi
  • Reply 14 of 181
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Thus was hoping for something a little more agressive from Verizon. The details might cause me to switch.

What details? Well how about FaceTime support over the cell link. If tethering is supported as a pay as you go, when you need it, feature that would be nice two. There are other considerations but the key is will it be as cheap as AT$T.

By the way AT&T has been very good for me so Verizon needs a really have a strong offering to get me to switch.
  • Reply 15 of 181
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mji View Post

I'm pretty sure that's misleading... I don't think they actually charge $15 to use your own exchange server (I believe its just for verizon's hosted servers). AT&T has the same $15 fee for corporate accounts, which no one actually pays.

instead of being "pretty sure," why don't you google it instead of talking about something you don't know?
  • Reply 16 of 181
    Quote:

Quote:

Like give us your old iPhone and we will pay for your AT&T termination fee?

Give me your tired [GSM iPhone], your poor[ly penetrating signals],

Your huddled masses [in select coverage areas] yearning to [roam] free,

The wretched [ETFs] of your teeming shore.

Send these [without in-home cellular coverage], tempest-tost to me,

I lift my [iPhone CDMA as a beacon of light, can you hear me now!]”
    And no, I doubt they will. That seems like a huge expense with little to no benefit at this point. Meaning, I would expect there are plenty of Verizon users, as well as those that simply won’t or can’t use AT&T that will strip the Phone CDMA supplies for awhile. Since US contracts are typically 2 years and the iPhone 5 will come out this Summer I would expect supplies to be constrained for awhile.
  • Reply 17 of 181
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

We're waiting for FIOS. I hope it will come within the next few months. Whatever I do, I will wait for the next iPhone in late summer. I'm also wondering about what a deal will be. They do offer them, but I don't know if they will grandfather your service into a new contract with the iPhone, or if we HAVE to get it all at once.

I would also like to see a family plan, because with AT&T at least, it's much cheaper all around with one with three phones.
  • Reply 18 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Thus was hoping for something a little more agressive from Verizon. The details might cause me to switch.

What details? Well how about FaceTime support over the cell link. If tethering is supported as a pay as you go, when you need it, feature that would be nice two. There are other considerations but the key is will it be as cheap as AT$T.

By the way AT&T has been very good for me so Verizon needs a really have a strong offering to get me to switch.

I?ve seen Apple replace devices with failing batteries long after they were out of the standard warranty. No harm in giving it a shot since a faulty battery could mean a defective battery which could mean a potential fire hazard.
  • Reply 19 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And no, I doubt they will.

I guess, but I remember that in New York if you switched to FiOS (with a contract) and didn't like it Optimum would pay your early termination fee to come back.
  • Reply 20 of 181
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member
    ...carriers would pay your termination fee to get you to their plan. IIRC Verizon was one of these creatures. We may be in a different world now.