Verizon iPhone to use existing plans, similar to AT&T

Comments

• Reply 41 of 181
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Jesus Christ! It?s not your fraking product. They have a right to sell it how they wish providing they aren?t breaking any laws. You either agree it, don?t agree to it and find a way around it (which has been brought to your attention), or you move on. There are no other options so stop feeling damn entitled.

Ah, so as long as it's not illegal, anyone can do whatever they want and not even bother trying to offer alternatives.

If that was the case, we'd have the MacBook and the iMac. That's good enough for everyone.
  • Reply 42 of 181
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    So let me get this straight, if you set up gmail as Exchange on a Verizon iPhone, they'll slug you fifteen bucks a month for it.

I wonder if Verizon's relationship with Google in the US is what stops us from setting up Android phones with Gmail as an exchange account, even when I copy the settings directly from my iPhone.
  • Reply 43 of 181
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

How do you use that much data on 3G? What apps? And how has ATT not put a stop to it? Frankly, as a fellow ATT user, I wish they would. You're taking far more than your fair share and the rest of us are paying for it with higher prices.

MyWi tethering, Netflix Hulu, and Comedy Central streaming, some tormenting of shows that air in the UK, and everything else I use my Mac for.

I pay for Unlimited data so I am using my fair share. What I don?t pay for per my contract is tethering to utilize that data. This is a violation of my contract just as you did with your MyWi usage. I take full responsibility for my actions and if they throttle or cancel my account I won?t be mad or upset or take some entitlement stance. I?m exploiting them and will continue to do so as long as I can.
  • Reply 44 of 181
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

How do you use that much data on 3G? What apps? And how has ATT not put a stop to it? Frankly, as a fellow ATT user, I wish they would. You're taking far more than your fair share and the rest of us are paying for it with higher prices.

Ah... here's a brainstorm - if Verizon keeps the unlimited plan, ATT announces that with 30 days notice, and no ETF, it is cancelling the grandfathered unlimited data plans. Anyone who objects to this material change of terms will be allowed out of their contract without penalty.

All the abusers jump ship to Verizon and the other 99.5% of us rejoice and stay on ATT, which sees performance jump as those 0.5% of users who take up 50% of bandwidth go away
  • Reply 45 of 181
    Quote:

MyWi tethering, Netflix Hulu, and Comedy Central streaming, some tormenting of shows that air in the UK, and everything else I use my Mac for.

I pay for Unlimited data so I am using my fair share. What I don?t pay for per my contract is tethering to utilize that data. This is a violation of my contract just as you did with your MyWi usage. I take full responsibility for my actions and if they throttle or cancel my account I won?t be mad or upset or take some entitlement stance. I?m exploiting them and will continue to do so as long as I can.

You're also exploiting every other ATT user.
  • Reply 46 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, so as long as it's not illegal, anyone can do whatever they want and not even bother trying to offer alternatives.

Don?t be an ass. If you don?t like the law work around it or change it, but don?t act as if it?s a personal insult to you because they subsidize their product with the intent of making money on the data plans.

You?ve been informed several times how to use an iPhone without a data plan but you keep telling the poster they are lying. So really, either listen to the advice given or stop bitching about it.
  • Reply 47 of 181
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:

40GB to 100GB month.

You're one of the ones that ruined it for the rest of us!
  • Reply 48 of 181
    Quote:

Ah... here's a brainstorm - if Verizon keeps the unlimited plan, ATT announces that with 30 days notice, and no ETF, it is cancelling the grandfathered unlimited data plans. Anyone who objects to this material change of terms will be allowed out of their contract without penalty.

All the abusers jump ship to Verizon and the other 99.5% of us rejoice and stay on ATT, which sees performance jump as those 0.5% of users who take up 50% of bandwidth go away

I?ve thought of that and posted pretty much that exact scenario in an AI thread last week. The only unknown is how important the Unlimited plan is to users. As it?s been noted, most like the peace of mind of the unlimited plan despite knowledge that they didn?t even come close to using cheaper 2GB. They have to weigh the options of potentially losing those customers too.
  • Reply 49 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

I expected lower prices at Verizon....after all you are getting less:

-slower speed

-no concurrent data and voice access (I can't use my GPS while I talk!)

-no international coverage

-no rollover minutes

-no free visual voicemail

-no free wifi

Yeah, no dropped calls either. AT&T gives me tons of those for free.
  • Reply 50 of 181
    Quote:

I?ve thought of that and posted pretty much that exact scenario in an AI thread last week. The only unknown is how important the Unlimited plan is to users. As it?s been noted, most like the peace of mind of the unlimited plan despite knowledge that they didn?t even come close to using cheaper 2GB. They have to weigh the options of potentially losing those customers too.

ATT makes it very easy to tell how much data you've used, though. Any normal user, who is not a tech enthusiast (which is probably 90% of users) will look at that chart and say "I never go over 400 MB! I'm saving that $5!
  • Reply 51 of 181
    Quote:

ATT makes it very easy to tell how much data you've used, though. Any normal user, who is not a tech enthusiast (which is probably 90% of users) will look at that chart and say "I never go over 400 MB! I'm saving that $5!

Peace of mind is a powerful selling point. We?re talking about $10 per GB for overage fees or an extra $5 per month. I seem to recall a huge number of internet-savvy, technology-hip AT&T iPhone users crying about the end of the unlimited plan even though most used well under 2GB and they were able to continue their unlimited plan.

With these devices becoming more useful, internet speeds becoming faster, and more and more to do on the internet it?s possible 2GB+ for normal usage won?t be too far away. I wonder what the data usage averages are per year since the iPhone first hit. I bet its increased dramatically.
  • Reply 52 of 181
    Quote:

Peace of mind is a powerful selling point. We?re talking about $10 per GB for overage fees or an extra $5 per month. I seem to recall a huge number of internet-savvy, technology-hip AT&T iPhone users crying about the end of the unlimited plan even though most used well under 2GB and they were able to continue their unlimited plan.

With these devices becoming more useful, internet speeds becoming faster, and more and more to do on the internet it?s possible 2GB+ for normal usage won?t be too far away. I wonder what the data usage averages are per year since the iPhone first hit. I bet its increased dramatically.

I help a lot of people make their technology decisions. Not a single one has hesitated to switch back to the 2 GB data plan once I showed them that they never once went over even 1 GB, which is how most users behave. Just using web, email, GPS and normal apps, like almost everyone does, it's nearly impossible to use 1 GB, much less two.

As you well know, even from this very thread with the whiner complaining about the lack of PayGo plans, one cannot gauge true widespread sentiment from message board traffic. The populations are not comparable.
  • Reply 53 of 181
    Quote:

Don?t be an ass. If you don?t like the law work around it or change it, but don?t act as if it?s a personal insult to you because they subsidize their product with the intent of making money on the data plans.

And what, pray tell, would possibly make you think this nonsense?

Quote:

You?ve been informed several times how to use an iPhone without a data plan but you keep telling the poster they are lying. So really, either listen to the advice given or stop bitching about it.

It can't be done legitimately or with any guarantee of success. That's hardly advice of any sort.
  • Reply 54 of 181
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:

40GB to 100GB month.

AT&T would LOVE for you to go over to Verizon. AT&T wants all the people who use less than 1 gb but who pay for 2gb or unlimmited, and they want all the heavy users to go to the competition, and bury their networks for a change.
  • Reply 55 of 181
    Quote:

Yep. Obviously if we just lie down and take it, it won't happen. The iPhone 2G doesn't require data; why should I have to have it for anything else?

You can unlock your phone, or if you are a wus, you can buy an unlocked phone in another country, like Canada, and then you can either put in a sim from a voice only plan or you can get a prepaid gophone sim.
  • Reply 56 of 181
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

Are there any other iPhone carriers who do not support Visual Voicemail as a standard feature of the iPhone service plan?

Orange UK don't offer it at all, paid or otherwise.
  • Reply 57 of 181
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    I still remember the smug remarks from AT&T chair about our customers will never leave, they are locked in. The end is coming, competition hopefully will humble them.
  • Reply 58 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

You can unlock your phone, or if you are a wus, you can buy an unlocked phone in another country, like Canada, and then you can either put in a sim from a voice only plan or you can get a prepaid gophone sim.

You're not reading any of my posts. You can't have any reasonable expectation of being able to use an iPhone on AT&T without data unless you have an iPhone 2G. There is no AT&T or T-Mobile service where I live, leaving only Verizon.
  • Reply 59 of 181
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Orange UK don't offer it at all, paid or otherwise.

So, Visual Voicemail not included as a standard feature on Verizon is not a complete stretch. 3 bucks/mo to add this feature and the lack of concurrent voice and data would keep me on ATT unless ATT has poor coverage.
  • Reply 60 of 181
    Quote:

You're not reading any of my posts. You can't have any reasonable expectation of being able to use an iPhone on AT&T without data unless you have an iPhone 2G. There is no AT&T or T-Mobile service where I live, leaving only Verizon.

Really? Go back and read my post. I have an iPhone 3G on AT&T with a gophone prepaid sim. I know someone with a factory unlocked iPhone 4 (acquired overseas) on AT&T with a prepaid sim and no data. No, you can not get a new iPhone 4 at a subsidized price without paying for the data plan, but there are PERFECTLY REASONABLE ways to get an iPhone on AT&T without data if you are willing to pay for the phone yourself.