Verizon iPhone to use existing plans, similar to AT&T

Comments

• Reply 61 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mji View Post

I'm pretty sure that's misleading... I don't think they actually charge $15 to use your own exchange server (I believe its just for verizon's hosted servers). AT&T has the same $15 fee for corporate accounts, which no one actually pays.

ATT IPhones also are $45/month for Data on Corporate Accts for Exchange so if Verizon charges it this will be no different. And yes, companies do pay it.
  • Reply 62 of 181
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

I still remember the smug remarks from AT&T chair about our customers will never leave, they are locked in. The end is coming, competition hopefully will humble them.

I don't think they are too worried. Verizon's predatory pricing, slower 3G network, no talk and surf, and the early termination fees should limit the size of any exodus beyond the areas where AT&T's netwrok is over burdened. In those places they would be happy to see some people leave so no big deal. Sure a couple of million people may switch carriers, but that happens every year anyway.
  • Reply 63 of 181
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

I still remember the smug remarks from AT&T chair about our customers will never leave, they are locked in. The end is coming, competition hopefully will humble them.

You're not dumb enough to think that Verizon executives don't say the same thing, just behind closed doors, right? If you really are willing to take a stand against a company when their execs say in public what everyone says behind closed doors, I think you're looking at life the wrong way.
  • Reply 64 of 181
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jsyedinak View Post

ATT IPhones also are $45/month for Data on Corporate Accts for Exchange so if Verizon charges it this will be no different. And yes, companies do pay it.

The difference is if you have a personal phone you can connect to your corporate email with no additional fees with an AT&T iPhone (only a fee for a black berry). Verizon may or may not allow this but if history is a guide they will try to charge you.

Also FWIW, my company just looked into switching from individual plans to a corporate plan, and AT&T's offer did not include any corporate email surcharge on the iPhone, or the blackberry or for that matter any phone. Corporate plans are negotiable, and only stupid companies pay more than they would for individual contracts. If you are paying the extra $15, you are most likely getting a break somewhere else, like pooled minutes and lower voice charges that make it more than worthwhile. Or your IT guys suck at negotiating.
  • Reply 65 of 181
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    my thoughts att has a list of all iphone owners that have or soon will have contract ended

mine ended over a year ago, i'm on a 3g iphone

so i would think att to keep these for another 2 years would have some kind of enticement to match or undercut vz

what incentive to go to vz

what incentive to stay att
  • Reply 66 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Thus was hoping for something a little more agressive from Verizon. The details might cause me to switch.

What details? Well how about FaceTime support over the cell link. If tethering is supported as a pay as you go, when you need it, feature that would be nice two. There are other considerations but the key is will it be as cheap as AT$T.

By the way AT&T has been very good for me so Verizon needs a really have a strong offering to get me to switch.

My battery is dying terribly too
  • Reply 67 of 181
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

I don't think they are too worried. Verizon's predatory pricing, slower 3G network, no talk and surf, and the early termination fees should limit the size of any exodus beyond the areas where AT&T's netwrok is over burdened. In those places they would be happy to see some people leave so no big deal. Sure a couple of million people may switch carriers, but that happens every year anyway.

We can?t rule out Verizon announcing simultaneous voice and data. As i see it Verizon wanted Apple more than Apple wanted Verizon. That could mean Apple agreed to certain things if Verizon agreed to other things. I?d think one thing Apple would want is to keep their flagship product working the same across carriers. Since the only difference to the customer should be the carrier, not the HW inside, I think that is a feasible suggestion? though it may not be a feasible one to implement.

Qualcomm has QChat which will I think allows for VoIP services on EV-DO Rev. A*. While Sprint had exclusive rights to it years ago the more current news I?ve read was that Qualcomm was working with unknown partners to expand its use. That could very well mean Apple and Verizon.

* That is samab?s bat signal, im sure he?ll have more to add/fix soon enough as my knowledge of this Qualcomm tech is limited in scope.
  • Reply 68 of 181
    heffequeheffeque Posts: 139member
    Austria: 1000 minutes + 1000 SMS = 8.8 euros a month (here).

That's less than 12 dolars a month.

Just sayin'.
  • Reply 69 of 181
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

You'd give up simultaneous data and voice for 2GB+ data? How much data do you actually use? Remember even with ATT, you can go over 2 GB - you get 4GB for $50. I found that only one month did I go over even 1 GB of data use, and that was a month when I used my iphone sim card to create a MyWi network on my JB old iphone because I was stuck in a hotel without wifi and needed internet. Even including that 5GB+ month, I still averaged less than 1.5 GB per month this year.

We don't yet know that anyone will have to give up voice/data. We've discussed this a bunch of times already. The new CDMA standard for simultaneous D/V was approved early last year. There's no reason to believe Verizon hasn't implemented it. In fact, from people in the industry I know, it's called "The iPhone Rule".
  • Reply 70 of 181
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Wow, hard to believe that multi-tasking is going to be a NO-NO with Verizon. Unless they've figured out some new work around.

Still there's plenty of people out there that will buy the Verizon Iphone regardless.

So its a catch 22............

ATT = Poor service + dropped calls

Verizon = no multitasking or Rollover minutes

which is worse??????????????????????
  • Reply 71 of 181
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We don't yet know that anyone will have to give up voice/data. We've discussed this a bunch of times already. The new CDMA standard for simultaneous D/V was approved early last year. There's no reason to believe Verizon hasn't implemented it. In fact, from people in the industry I know, it's called "The iPhone Rule".

I can’t find any confirmation they were going to implement it. The news seems to have dried up on just as the news from Verizon pooh poohing the iPhone has dried up. I guess that’s a good sign when it comes to anything Apple related.

PS: if this does happen then phones without simultaneous voice and data will have longer talk times than the iPhone on Verizon when ‘3G’ is turned on due to the nature of how CDMA is used for voice and EV-DO would be unusable. While I think this is more than acceptable I hope reviewers note why the iPhone’s ‘3G’ talk time isn’t pushing 12 hours. I wonder if this will be an option in the phone so the user can choose which method works best for them as I assume CDMA for voice will still be a fallback method.
  • Reply 72 of 181
    Quote:

What what what?

There's NO REASON? How about the fact that such a thing hasn't yet existed? Do you think Verizon has this awesome new feature that could benefit all of their smartphone users and they've been keeping it a secret?

Sorry, anything's possible, but the fact that it defies logic AND it hasn't yet ever been done is good enough reason to believe they haven't implemented it.

This guy I know from down the street calls that "The Common Sense Rule"
  • Reply 73 of 181
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How about without data, hmm? I have zero use for it.

how about just getting an iPod Touch..
  • Reply 74 of 181
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I?ve seen Apple replace devices with failing batteries long after they were out of the standard warranty. No harm in giving it a shot since a faulty battery could mean a defective battery which could mean a potential fire hazard.

bingo

great post dude

Quote:

40GB to 100GB month.

IF VERIZON uses some of apples server farm juice

then high load cheap data plans can be had for a great price .

Streaming fios all day will be

the cat's meow

Quote:

How do you use that much data on 3G? What apps? And how has ATT not put a stop to it? Frankly, as a fellow ATT user, I wish they would. You're taking far more than your fair share and the rest of us are paying for it with higher prices.

THIS WILL BE A WAR !!!!!!!!!!

• Reply 75 of 181
    Quote:

I can?t find any confirmation they were going to implement it. The news seems to have dried up on just as the news from Verizon pooh poohing the iPhone has dried up. I guess that?s a good sign when it comes to anything Apple related.

PS: if this does happen then phones without simultaneous voice and data will have longer talk times than the iPhone on Verizon when ?3G? is turned on due to the nature of how CDMA is used for voice and EV-DO would be unusable. While I think this is more than acceptable I hope reviewers note why the iPhone?s ?3G? talk time isn?t pushing 12 hours. I wonder if this will be an option in the phone so the user can choose which method works best for them as I assume CDMA for voice will still be a fallback method.

We don't know means exactly that. Why should word have come out? If it did it would have indicated the iPhone, and that's been held a secret until a short while ago.
  • Reply 76 of 181
    Quote:

What what what?

There's NO REASON? How about the fact that such a thing hasn't yet existed? Do you think Verizon has this awesome new feature that could benefit all of their smartphone users and they've been keeping it a secret?

Sorry, anything's possible, but the fact that it defies logic AND it hasn't yet ever been done is good enough reason to believe they haven't implemented it.

This guy I know from down the street calls that "The Common Sense Rule"

What are you talking about? What do you know? Nothing, you know nothing. Anything could have happened, and we wouldn't know about it until we were told. You think only Apple can keep secrets?
  • Reply 77 of 181
    Quote:

What are you talking about? What do you know? Nothing, you know nothing. Anything could have happened, and we wouldn't know about it until we were told. You think only Apple can keep secrets?

I know the current reality. I said, very specifically, than anything can happen. But you said "There's no reason to believe Verizon hasn't implemented it" which is simply not true. The best reason to believe that they haven't implemented it is because it's not something they would hide from the public. They would tout it, and they haven't. Jesus.
  • Reply 78 of 181
    Quote:

We don't know means exactly that. Why should word have come out? If it did it would have indicated the iPhone, and that's been held a secret until a short while ago.

Why? Is the iPhone suddenly the only phone where it would be nice to have simultaneous data and voice. Your logic, well, defies logic.
  • Reply 79 of 181
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    tuesday we will know
  • Reply 80 of 181
    Quote:

I know the current reality. I said, very specifically, than anything can happen. But you said "There's no reason to believe Verizon hasn't implemented it" which is simply not true. The best reason to believe that they haven't implemented it is because it's not something they would hide from the public. They would tout it, and they haven't. Jesus.

No, you didn't say anything could happen, in a serious way. You said:

Quote:

That's the same as saying NO, it won't happen.

Do you think that Apple, which has so heavily advertised this feature ever since the iPhone first came out would so easily give it up? I think it's very important to them. And as I said, there's no reason to believe it isn't being done. Maybe it isn't, but I would find that hard to believe, as it's been possible for a while now, and Verizon's had enough time to implement it.

You're using as an excuse the fact that we haven't heard about it. That's a poor reason. I would also think that it's a competitive disadvantage for Verizon, and would give AT&T a good advertising campaign.

This feature, as I said, if mentioned, would have been a vey good indicator of the iPhone's arrival, and I doubt that either Apple or Verizon wanted that before this Tuesday. There are excellent reasons given for that, and it's been in another article here, as well as other places.