CDMA components could drive price of Apple's Verizon iPhone up $20-$30

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    Originally Posted by island hermit

I'm betting it will be more to the tune of iP4.5... added features, different antenna, different glass construction etc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

nope.

... and you know this how?

Please elaborate (or shut up).
  • Reply 22 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

SF has local politicians delaying the construction of new towers (the NOT IN MY BACKYARD syndrome). Amazing....here is AT&T saying "take our billions....we will hire thousands of workers with high paying jobs".

I wish San Francisco would just secede from the United States and become a province of China.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

No way this will happen... if true, Verizon will simply take a bigger hit on the subsidy. I'm sure they'd much rather lose an additional $20 on each phone than lose out on locking people into contracts.

Agreed.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:

Pay more for slower speed and no concurrent data/voice? No way.

Paying more to actually be able to get a signal and make calls without the connection being dropped all the time? Yes way.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Paying more to actually be able to get a signal and make calls without the connection being dropped all the time? Yes way.

+1.

I have a feeling the CDMA iPhone will still have concurrent data / voice. I feel this is one of the main reasons it took so long to get on Verizon, this is a feature Apple would demand imo.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    Quote:

Pay more for slower speed and no concurrent data/voice? No way.

This is so unlike Apple....for the first time since I can remember, Apple is introducing a new version of a product that is slower and has less features than the current version. This is a step backwards. They should have built a T-Mobile compatible iPhone instead (GSM Network).

I agree with you on that last part especially..and add that T-Mobile needs to be included. All Apple fans no matter their network provider should have the option to get the iphone from their present provider. IMHO it really sucks to not have the choice like we do with our home ISP's for our Mac's.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    I understand that it may cost a little more for CDMA version. But since the AT&T exclusive with the iPhone was suposed to go through 2012, ( going by rumors of original contract with AT&T ), maybe part of the deal is VZW has to charge more than AT&T for the first year or until the original contract with AT&T is complete?

Speculative, I know. But so is VZW even getting the iPhone at this point.

a VZW meeting for 1.11.11 doesn't say 100% for sure vzw is even getting the phone.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

No way this will happen... if true, Verizon will simply take a bigger hit on the subsidy. I'm sure they'd much rather lose an additional $20 on each phone than lose out on locking people into contracts.

I agree...I can't see Verizon losing the price point war with AT&T over 20-30 bucks....

Can you see the commercials now for AT&T...pay $199 for the iPhone 4 or pay $229 for iPhone on verizon? Marketing and perception is everything....

I think verizon will just eat the difference and gladly accept the new customer! :-)
  • Reply 29 of 53
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EnviroG View Post

I agree with you on that last part especially..and add that T-Mobile needs to be included. All Apple fans no matter their network provider should have the option to get the iphone from their present provider. IMHO it really sucks to not have the choice like we do with our home ISP's for our Mac's.

Another point to concider is if VZW gets a CDMA iPhone will Sprint get one as well?.

Sprint was strangley silent at the CES show. VZW and AT&T and T-Mobile had product announcements but not Sprint.... Just a thought....
  • Reply 30 of 53
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I'm with you on this one.

Maybe some people are thinking that Apple is just selling the iP4 on Verizon, whereas I'm betting it will be more to the tune of iP4.5... added features, different antenna, different glass construction etc.

Let go of the antenna will you. Even the Apple discussion boards have been absolutely quiet for months now. Nobody mentions it anymore because it wasn't an issue to begin with. Same goes for the glass. Only the wacked out OCD types care.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Let go of the antenna will you. Even the Apple discussion boards have been absolutely quiet for months now. Nobody mentions it anymore because it wasn't an issue to begin with. Same goes for the glass. Only the wacked out OCD types care.

I don't give a rat's ass either... you might have noticed I said "different", not better... but then you wouldn't have anything to bitch about so that wouldn't be any fun would it...
  • Reply 32 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LanPhantom View Post

25% of the people surveyed stated they would be out there on day one. That turns out to be approx. 24 million people. Massive crazy day chock full of sellout stores.

Set down the crack pipe. There will be no where near 24 million people out on day one. No survey said that. You are misreading the survey and applying the results to the wrong numbers.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I agree...I can't see Verizon losing the price point war with AT&T over 20-30 bucks....

Can you see the commercials now for AT&T...pay $199 for the iPhone 4 or pay $229 for iPhone on verizon? Marketing and perception is everything....

I think verizon will just eat the difference and gladly accept the new customer! :-)

Over 24 months, $30 is only 1.11% of the total cost of ownership of an iPhone. I think Verizon will suck it up.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Another point to concider is if VZW gets a CDMA iPhone will Sprint get one as well?..

point to ponder, why not just unlock those puppies. Give it to all.

I have heard the Sprint is a slightly different flavor of CDMA, or different frequencies like with t-mobile. I have also heard that Apple is interested in workin with them due to picking wimax rather than using LTE.

Course the unlock thing is moot so long as CDMA has no changeable sim and t-mobile users only get edge coverage. Then again there was that talk of a software sim that supposedly got the European carriers in a panty wad. Maybe that is attempt to cure that issue. And then we are one step closer to switching when and to whom we wish
  • Reply 35 of 53
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

Are components really that much more expensive?

Yes. Don?t forget licensing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

I agree with this comment. I mean, Verizon is handing out to Droid phones for $200. Assuming they give Motorola (or HTC, or whoever is making them now) 4-500 for each unit, they are still far better off receiving only $200 for an iPhone (which probably costs them around 7-800$).

But Moto was taking the profit margin hit to compete with the iPhone. Apple doesn?t have to do that.

I can see this going both ways. I can see Apple wanting the same price point across the iPhone, but I also see them wanting to maximize profits. $30 per unit is a lot it?s not much for the customer to pay over 2 years. In other words, it?s not a deal breaker. Also, from the consumer?s PoV it would likely be seen as Verizon?s fault, not Apple?s that they had to charge a little more.

They may also see themselves as getting a more ?elite product?, and in fact they are because there will be less CDMA iPhones sold than GSM iPhones? and that will never change! That makes economy of scale work better for the GSM iPhone. That might even make the $20-$30 difference in components and licensing too low.

Then again, Apple has more Android competition in the Verizon camp. Again, there are too many variables to tell. We?d need to get run some numbers before we can make an educated guess one way or the other.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I have heard the Sprint is a slightly different flavor of CDMA, or different frequencies like with t-mobile. I have also heard that Apple is interested in workin with them due to picking wimax rather than using LTE.

Course the unlock thing is moot so long as CDMA has no changeable sim and t-mobile users only get edge coverage. Then again there was that talk of a software sim that supposedly got the European carriers in a panty wad. Maybe that is attempt to cure that issue. And then we are one step closer to switching when and to whom we wish

Sprint and Verizon use the same frequencies, just that they are locked to their network. You are able to "activate" a new device online I believe with Verizon (or at least switch from one Verizon device to another without calling customer service or going into a store).
  • Reply 37 of 53
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Even if the had all the right HW in them to release to all it doesn?t make economical sense. It?s better to control your product. That?s why all these vendor and carrier deals exist in the first place.

On top of that, it likely wouldn?t increase sales. Sure, you?d have a lot more potential customers but if your demand is already outstripping supply adding more demand won?t increase your bottom line.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

SF has local politicians delaying the construction of new towers (the NOT IN MY BACKYARD syndrome). Amazing....here is AT&T saying "take our billions....we will hire thousands of workers with high paying jobs".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

I wish San Francisco would just secede from the United States and become a province of China.

I live in San Francisco and been there all my life. Not everyone living there is a hippie, liberal, whack-job. It's a great city that unfortunately at this particular point in time has been overrun by progressives that cater to those that contribute nothing whatsoever to this beautiful city.

I think everyone living in San Francisco that raises the NIMBY card, should be required to sign a form that forbids them from using their cell phone in San Francisco since they are using another tower that is in someone else's backyard. They are just a bunch of hypocrites in the worst way.

There is a big shakeup going on right now in SF. I am crossing my fingers that this will put SF back on course. Chris Daly is out (FINALLY), we still have a moderate interim-mayor and hope for a more of the same with the new mayor, we won the America's Cup bid and that means badly needed infrastructure improvements and jobs for years to come. It's an exciting time to be in SF.

That being said, AT&T reception for me in San Francisco has been great and I am everywhere in SF. I do know some deadspots and fortunately, I rarely venture there. I also travel internationally quite a bit and Verizon for me would kill the deal. I love how my AAPL is shining though!
  • Reply 39 of 53
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Now why on earth would Apple allow that cost to be past onto customers? That doesn't sound like them...

...Except that measly $130 they expect people to pay for a 3G radio in the iPad...

And, Vz customers will pay anything at this point won't they?
  • Reply 40 of 53
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I live in San Francisco and been there all my life. Not everyone living there is a hippie, liberal, whack-job.

You're right, the rest are homeless.