AT&T says Verizon iPhone users will experience 'life in the slow lane'

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Responding to rumors of an imminent Verizon iPhone launch, AT&T has countered by touting the speed of its network, which a recent study found to be 20 percent to 60 percent faster than competitors.

AT&T made an official comment as impending Verizon iPhone announcement is expected this week. In a statement to Silicon Alley Insider, AT&T spokesman Larry Solomon noted that AT&T's wireless technology allows for faster download speeds than Verizon.

"The iPhone is built for speed, but that's not what you get with a CDMA iPhone," he said. "I'm not sure iPhone users are ready for life in the slow lane."

In November, an independent test from Global Wireless Solutions found that AT&T's network is 60 percent faster than its chief competitor, Verizon. However, Verizon has a larger 3G coverage area across the U.S. than AT&T, a fact that Verizon pushed in its "There's a map for that" campaign in late 2009.

Verizon has scheduled a media event in New York City on Tuesday, where it is expected to announce a new CDMA iPhone that is compatible with its wireless network. The handset is expected to launch later this month, coinciding with employee vacation blackout restrictions imposed in Apple's retail stores and first reported by AppleInsider.

The Verizon iPhone is expected to be a current-generation iPhone 4, offering the same features as the phone currently available exclusively from AT&T. But photos and video leaked earlier this month have suggested that the new CDMA handset could also feature a tweaked antenna design.

For more, see AppleInsider's ongoing coverage leading up to Tuesday's anticipated Verizon iPhone Event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 122
    So this pretty much confirms it then?
  • Reply 2 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OnMyMiNd04 View Post

So this pretty much confirms it then?

No, I think it was pretty much confirmed when they left Gizmodo off the invite list.
  • Reply 3 of 122
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Agreed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

No, I think it was pretty much confirmed when they left Gizmodo off the invite list.

• Reply 4 of 122
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Haha.
  • Reply 5 of 122
    If they're confident they can compete, why did they work so hard to lock everyone they could into a contract over the last 6 months?
  • Reply 6 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

If they're confident they can compete, why did they work so hard to lock everyone they could into a contract over the last 6 months?

Because that's their job. Why would they not be trying to lock in new subscribers and current ones close to the end of their contract?
  • Reply 7 of 122
    Ya know what would be a slap in the face to AT&T for saying that?... Verizon and Apple announcing the first LTE iPhone, exclusive to Verizon only til June. Won't happen though. Guess we'll have to suffer with CDMA for now, even if it's announced tomorrow.
  • Reply 8 of 122
    Depends where the are I guess. In NYC or SF, yeah I can argue that maybe verizon will be faster. Here in Houston? I'll gladly stay with my average 3.5 down and 1.2 up.
  • Reply 9 of 122
    Choice is good....now let's add the remaining carriers: Sprint, T-Mobile. Let the consumer choose.
  • Reply 10 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darthraige View Post

Ya know what would be a slap in the face to AT&T for saying that?... Verizon and Apple announcing the first LTE iPhone, exclusive to Verizon only til June. Won't happen though. Guess we'll have to suffer with CDMA for now, even if it's announced tomorrow.

Yeah, my money's on CDMA. LTE is too young and not available in enough areas. It also sucks battery life, though that won't necessarily stop Apple in the long run. What we can usually bet on, though, is Apple focusing on things which are important to the general market.
  • Reply 11 of 122
    "The iPhone is built for speed, but that's not what you get with a Att iPhone," he said. "I'm sure iPhone users are ready to not have dropped calls and excellent 3G coverage."

T,FTFY
  • Reply 12 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

Because that's their job. Why would they not be trying to lock in new subscribers and current ones close to the end of their contract?

Sure.
  • Reply 13 of 122
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Frankly, I've always been less than moved when people post about the benefits of competition between iPhone and <fill in the blank>. Haven't seen Apple standing still even as it laps everyone else.

But competition between carriers REALLY is a good thing. Its about time Verizon & AT&T start cutting each others throats instead of ours.
  • Reply 14 of 122
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

"The iPhone is built for speed, but that's not what you get with a Att iPhone," he said. "I'm sure iPhone users are ready to not have dropped calls and excellent 3G coverage."

T,FTFY

It all depends on where you live. In OC California, I've had very good luck with AT&T. There's not a chance I'd move to Verizon and give up speed and the ability to talk and use data simultaneously.
  • Reply 15 of 122
    There is no way that Apple would offer one version of the iPhone with a fix for the antenna issue and one not.

If there is a revised antenna design ready to be released, all the iPhones will get it at the same time.
  • Reply 16 of 122
    The statement doesn't confirm anything. AT&T has been down playing the iPhone for the past few years. Remember when De La Vega said a few exclusive phones will no longer be exclusive back in 2009? Everyone expected a Verizon iPhone launch in 2010 and we got nothing. I still think tomorrow will be the announcement, but that's not based on AT&T's statement.
  • Reply 17 of 122
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I think speed is pretty good when you are in an area with good signal strength.

The problem is finding an area with good signal strength.

I am in Houston and it can get spotty for sure.
  • Reply 18 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

It all depends on where you live. In OC California, I've had very good luck with AT&T. There's not a chance I'd move to Verizon and give up speed and the ability to talk and use data simultaneously.

Well with both using LTE it will be a moot point, both with SIM cards, finally.

Of course, Verizon is always 6-9 ahead of Att in terms of deployment, so it continues.
  • Reply 19 of 122
    I dont understand why is the phone not coming to T-mobile. It is the ONLY reason Im jailbroken. How long is it going to take Apple?
  • Reply 20 of 122
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    The problem with ATT's statement is that ATT doesn't work in as many places. Some people would rather have slow than no speed at all.