Apple's Verizon iPhone could cannibalize 6.5M sales from AT&T

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Funny. My boss offered to buy me out of my T-Mobile contract and pay for my cell phone. It was on Verizon, I said thank you, but no thanks. I am happy using my iPhone (on T-Mobile).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eyepad View Post

Needless to say, I wouldn't take a vzw iphone if they offered to buy out my AT&T contract and give me 3 iphones for myself and my family for free.

• Reply 22 of 31
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I suspect Apple will bring T-Mobile into the mix when the iPhone 5 comes out. It would have to update the current iPhone to allow users to use T-Mobile's 3G data. At least I hope I am right, because I am on T-Mobile. Unlocking is somewhat of a pain when you want to update your software.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lav1daloca View Post

What about Sprint or T-Mobile though? Are they not going to be allowed to sell iphones?? That would be stupid of Apple when worldwide it's selling sim free. I would have told big V either take it or leave it. I'd rather sell to Sprint and T-Mobile than only to Verizon. If they really come out with another exclusive agreement and the only carriers to officially carry the iphone are ATT and Verizon then Apple has really lost its mind.

They need to make the iphone available on all carriers and sim free at the apple store like in Europe. And make it cheaper by 100 bucks!

• Reply 23 of 31
    Just looking at Munsters comments and as usual they don't thread water. Purely a guesstimate.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

I don't think it will hurt AT&T much. Verizon has a bunch of Droid users that are not happy with how updates are being pushed and that's where iPhone is going to make a big impact.

Ultimately this will be the much bigger story...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Personally I think you are delusional. I have no idea why YOUR phone doesn't work at those airports. Mine has worked at all of them and more.

Further, if you are skiing and get hurt why are you reliant upon you cellphone for help. That sounds like a bad move. If you are on public slopes I'm sure help is about 100 yards away. If you are making free runs I'd say you should carry around a Sat phone or a police radio. Why should you expect a cellphone to work in the Rockies? You're just putting yourself at risk if you are reliant upon consumer tech in the wilderness.

So go ahead and walk to Verizon and get your new phone, Wouldn't be the first bad idea you've had.

Mine works fine at every airport he listed as well.

Matt
  • Reply 25 of 31
    Not only is the iPhone on Verizon going to cannibalize sales from AT&T, but from Motorola. Who's really going to buy a Droid now, except for maybe the people who hate Apple?
  • Reply 26 of 31
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DV1Band View Post

Not only is the iPhone on Verizon going to cannibalize sales from AT&T, but from Motorola. Who's really going to buy a Droid now, except for maybe the people who hate Apple?

I think AT&T will be the least hurt by a Veizon iPhone. Remember, they will still sell the iPhone wnd will have about 1/5 of their users under contract with the iPhone.

The carriers that will be most affected are T-Mobile and Sprint where users who couldn?t or wouldn?t use AT&T stayed where they were. But with Verizon on board the migration from those carriers will happen yet again.

I think Verizon?s other smartphones will be heavily affected, too. Verizon may even help this by pushing the iPhone themselves. With the number of carriers and countries selling modern smartphones I don?t expect their numbers to be much lower. I do expect there sales on Verizon to be considerably hit, but not overall.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I suspect Apple will bring T-Mobile into the mix when the iPhone 5 comes out. It would have to update the current iPhone to allow users to use T-Mobile's 3G data. At least I hope I am right, because I am on T-Mobile. Unlocking is somewhat of a pain when you want to update your software.

I think you will be waiting until at least 2012. If the Verizon iPhone is an ATT workalike and without Verizon branding, Apple would have had to give them at least 8 months (more likely, a year) semi-exclusive with ATT.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The carriers that will be most affected are T-Mobile and Sprint where users who couldn?t or wouldn?t use AT&T stayed where they were. But with Verizon on board the migration from those carriers will happen yet again.

I am still not convinced of this. So many Sprint and T-Mobile subscribers made their carrier choice based on service plan price. Add in the fact that it is currently possible to use an iPhone on T-Mobile (even if it is far less capable) and I think the biggest chunk of Verizon iPhone adopters are in-network.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I am still not convinced of this. So many Sprint and T-Mobile subscribers made their carrier choice based on service plan price. Add in the fact that it is currently possible to use an iPhone on T-Mobile (even if it is far less capable) and I think the biggest chunk of Verizon iPhone adopters are in-network.

Yes, the biggest chunk will be from Verizon non-iPhone users becoming Verizon iPhone users, but that isn’t going to affect Verizon negatively. Quite the opposite. It will affect the other devices being sold on Verizon’s network, but I addressed that.

Anecdotally, I know many people that don’t have an iPhone because of AT&T, all for various reasons. Hence, I firmly believe that Sprint and T-Mobile will suffer more damage than AT&T, who will still have the iPhone.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I dunno, I have a hard time believing that Verizon sales will match ATT sales anytime soon. Verizon has spend so much time working with Android manufacturers and plugging them in their ads, that I feel like a lot of Verizon users are content with Android devices.

In short I predict that Verizon sales will increase iPhone sales by 20% at best in the short term, at least until iPhone 5 comes out.

PS I don't really care about how this affects Verizon or ATT, I just want iPhone to keep a solid market share and continue to bring about awesome iOS innovations.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lav1daloca View Post

I think once the iPhone is available on big V they will sell at lease 15million iphones the first year. I think 11 million on Att is respectable although i think once you account newbies into the smartphone world don't be surprised if they sell around 15 million too.

What about Sprint or T-Mobile though? Are they not going to be allowed to sell iphones?? That would be stupid of Apple when worldwide it's selling sim free. I would have told big V either take it or leave it. I'd rather sell to Sprint and T-Mobile than only to Verizon. If they really come out with another exclusive agreement and the only carriers to officially carry the iphone are ATT and Verizon then Apple has really lost its mind.

They need to make the iphone available on all carriers and sim free at the apple store like in Europe. And make it cheaper by 100 bucks!

When are people going to realize that Apple (or any other company) won't lower the price on any product that they can't make enough of to meet the current demand to start with.